Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People seem to forget that capturing market share when you are selling an ECOSYSTEM is the BEST way to maximize profit in the future. You want everyone's first EV experience to be a Tesla so they are comfortable with the OS, the charging infrastructure, the OTA updates, the range expectations, the reliability, etc etc. Once people are used to it, it'll be hard for them to switch because other EVs are just so different because they have their own ecosystem where charging expectations are a crapshoot, the OS is hard to navigate, OTA updates are far and few inbetween, or expect to pay DLCs for any new features, and their self driving software has all sorts of limitations you are not used to. If you don't present to them a Tesla as their first EV, they might just go back to gas as we have heard many who are fed up this Xmas with their non-Teslas.

Microsoft won because they gave away windows. Now people are stuck within that ecosystem. What do microsoft charge the enterprise market now that everyone can't afford to get off them? Enough to be a multi trillion dollar company.

Now I'm not saying Tesla should give away their cars. However people here thinks FSD is the only saving grace if Tesla sold their cars at lower margins. I don't think so, they might end up with a monopoly instead and charge people 50% more in the future when they can't get out of the ecosystem. Look at Apple, 1200 for a phone because you'll still buy one.

but also profit maximizing at your maximum production volume.

Telsa still has some (but less) time before the charging infrastructure is upgraded in US (not sure where EU is) and battery prices drop to point where they are undercut on bottom end. There seems to be reasonable volumes of some competitive EVs (Lots Ioniq 5, GV60 and GV80s available in SoCal for example) so that's something of a new dynamic.

• Informative
Reactions: MartinAustin
You had me until this sentence. Did you not read what Elon wrote just yesterday? You 100% certain JPow won't take another swing at the economy? Treasury just tried to snuff Model Y sales.

Are you betting only money you can afford to lose?

Margerine is bad for your lardery.

The Treasury didn't cause the 5/7 split, the legislation did (EPA grouping is looser than legislation).
Treasury didn't make the vehicle lists, the OEMs did.

Seems like an obvious trollish but great idea.

Tesla has had semi trailer based Superchargers running on (Power/Mega)packs for years.

but also profit maximizing at your maximum production volume.

Telsa still has some (but less) time before the charging infrastructure is upgraded in US (not sure where EU is) and battery prices drop to point where they are undercut on bottom end. There seems to be reasonable volumes of some competitive EVs (Lots Ioniq 5, GV60 and GV80s available in SoCal for example) so that's something of a new dynamic.
It seems that the 3rd party charging infrastructure needs a rewrite. I had no idea that EA is just the network operator(meaning they just collect money and answer phone calls) while a bunch of random companies build the machines. So EA is just a middle man that put in a ticket and actually has zero clue how to fix the cabinets themselves besides rebooting the system if it's stuck in an OS crash.

It's pretty amazing how many companies choose not to do the hard work and just out source everything. I'll put this down as a Lucid/Rivian kind of problem, requires an entire re-write.

It seems that the 3rd party charging infrastructure needs a rewrite. I had no idea that EA is just the network operator(meaning they just collect money and answer phone calls) while a bunch of random companies build the machines. So EA is just a middle man that put in a ticket and actually has zero clue how to fix the cabinets themselves besides rebooting the system if it's stuck in an OS crash.

It's pretty amazing how many companies choose not to do the hard work and just out source everything. I'll put this down as a Lucid/Rivian kind of problem, requires an entire re-write.
It’s worse than that I believe. As I understand it’s multiple different manufacturers and 3rd party software platforms that handle payment processing, which is why they break so much. Software updates to fix one charge end up breaking another because they don’t have good testing infra.

It’s worse than that I believe. As I understand it’s multiple different manufacturers and 3rd party software platforms that handle payment processing, which is why they break so much. Software updates to fix one charge end up breaking another because they don’t have good testing infra.
Polestar owner this Xmas was like "I'm going back to gas".
Legacy auto was like "...yes my sweet child, did you miss us?"

Meanwhile in Europe.. Xmas traveling and I was charging at a location that has Kempower chargers, pretty common here. Now Kempower is the company that makes the chargers, network is ran by a different company.

So this site is advertised as 6x150kW stalls. Sounds good, right?
But the max power output of the whole site is 250kw. This is divided between those 6 stalls, modules are 25kw each so it's divided in 25kw increments. I have no idea how the software decides which car gets what. Oh they promise that each stall will always get at least one module.

In the real world: we arrive, there's 4 cars charging, one Tesla and some other EVs. 2 empty stalls. I plugin my model Y, and I get the whole 25kW of power. And out of that car uses around 5kw to heat the battery.. charging would have taken only 4 hours.
This is called "dynamic load bearing". Other 4 cars were charging so that combined they were using >200kw. And even that is only about 50kw/car!

Christ what crap. So instead of an actual line, nobody gets any decent charging speeds, and everyone waits. Luckily I had enough battery to reach the next actual supercharger, so went there.

I feel sad for those of us who lost considerable assets during this downturn because of margin, calls, puts, etc. I also feel sad to hear so many of us are still using them. This event should be a lesson in the dangers inherit in them. Stocks like Tesla are highly speculative. The rewards may be great if they are valid companies in the long run. Always they will go through exaggerated ups and downs, and in this case are clearly influenced by the big financial operatives. I hope we all learn an important lesson going into the New Year.

I feel sad for those of us who lost considerable assets during this downturn because of margin, calls, puts, etc. I also feel sad to hear so many of us are still using them. This event should be a lesson in the dangers inherit in them. Stocks like Tesla are highly speculative. The rewards may be great if they are valid companies in the long run. Always they will go through exaggerated ups and downs, and in this case are clearly influenced by the big financial operatives. I hope we all learn an important lesson going into the New Year.
Just clicking agree is not nearly enough. Over the past years I have spent some time explaining/warning about the dangers and the ineffectiveness of trying to "beat" the market. I've been involved in the market in several ways for 57 years. I believe what I bring to the board is invaluable experience. So, thank you for bringing this up. I, too, feel very bad for those who thought they could do it. It is sad. I hope those who still have some investible assets don't give up. Everyone here should feel very good about the fact that they have identified the investment of the century. Don't try to gild the lily! HODL (no matter what). GLTA

You know for all the talk of people realizing a loss for tax purposes I’m surprised nobody pointed out there are probably many better diversified investment situations that realized a large gain in tesla since 2019 to offset their losses in pretty much anything else over the last year.

Is there a reason this isn’t likely? It’s not like this all in on tesla forum is the only group of people to have gains on tesla since 2019