Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is there so much hoopla about energy storage? Predicting what is going to happen is futile while all suppliers will be selling everything they can make for like a decade regardless of price. Energy is like an endless TAM. I don't even understand why anyone is predicting doom for Tesla energy when we are at like 0.0001% replacement during this transition.

The true competition is the cost of solar+storage vs current plants+natural gas.

One thing is for certain, Tesla will not compete in a commoditised market. Look for Tesla to reinvent and integrate the power wall into a more complete eco system. Now, solar roof, grid and cars. In the mid term future, perhaps a home hvac. And in the far future, the Tesla bot.
I just wish Tesla markets the ecosystem further. When buying any Tesla, an option for their smallest PV panel should pop up asking if they want to add the option for 8k which provides energy for the car for life.

Buffett owns a lot of car dealerships too.

There's a reason he hasn't invested in Tesla. They're success degrades a lot of his businesses: Oil, insurance, car dealerships, utilities, even trains (autonomous Semis). Literally the opposite of Tesla.
His investing isn't going to change any of that. Seems like a smart hedge to me.

But, that super off-peak is super low for CA utility. My “favorable” TOU rate may not be as high as SDGE at $0.58/kWh, but my super off-peak rate is $0.27/kWh. Give and take. I’d rather have that insanely low off-peak rate to charge the car and batteries.
"Insanely low" is a matter of perspective. I'll take my $0.01/kWh Super Off-Peak, thankyouverymuch🪙:cool:

Why is there so much hoopla about energy storage? Predicting what is going to happen is futile while all suppliers will be selling everything they can make for like a decade regardless of price. Energy is like an endless TAM. I don't even understand why anyone is predicting doom for Tesla energy when we are at like 0.0001% replacement during this transition.

The true competition is the cost of solar+storage vs current plants+natural gas.
EV charging stations alone will provide a lot of growth for the energy storage market. When you have a charging location with 20, 30, 50 stalls the energy demand gets very high very fast. On top of that you have the opportunity to fill the packs from during off-peak times. Some of the larger demand rates don't have as much differentiation for off vs on peak so that may or may not apply depending on the utility and tariff that the network is receiving, but then your total demand is greater so you save on that end.

Even the competition needs them.

"Insanely low" is a matter of perspective. I'll take my $0.01/kWh Super Off-Peak, thankyouverymuch🪙:cool:

That's crazy low! I thought my 4 cent super off peak was cheap.

Attachments

• 1672967981432.png
    1672967981432.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 86
EV charging stations alone will provide a lot of growth for the energy storage market. When you have a charging location with 20, 30, 50 stalls the energy demand gets very high very fast. On top of that you have the opportunity to fill the packs from during off-peak times. Some of the larger demand rates don't have as much differentiation for off vs on peak so that may or may not apply depending on the utility and tariff that the network is receiving, but then your total demand is greater so you save on that end.

Even the competition needs them.

That's crazy low! I thought my 4 cent super off peak was cheap.
Try living in your mom's basement. 0 cents per kWh off or on peak!

On that note, can anyone confirm that the IRS 30-day Wash Rule precludes buying more shares, even in retirement accounts, if you had sold shares in a "trading account" within the last 30 days? That's what my research suggests so I have to sit on my hands for another few weeks, which is painful.

I sure as heck didn't want to sell as these were shares purchased around a decade ago, but had no choice (at ~$151, thankfully) after feeding the margin monster for oh so many months . . . .

Can't afford to risk any more damage from the IRS if I buy back in too early!
That’d make no sense. The wash sale rule is needed to prevent investors from realizing losses for tax purposes without those investors taking real risk. E.g. a TSLA investor sells shares at a 50% loss then immediately buys them back.

Since losses within pension accounts do nothing to reduce tax exposure there would be no reason for the existence of the wash sale rule for them.

Last edited:
I think the point has been made long since myself. Nothing @petit_bateau has said makes me worry about whether Tesla Energy can sell every thing they make. He won’t even talk about that. As has been said before, the energy storage market is absolutely massive and deep. There is plenty of room for Chinese companies to fill niches while Tesla focuses on their assessable markets. Neither are likely to run out of low hanging fruit for a decade or more.

I thought I was clear I was talking about the whole discussion, not just one half of it.

Just because a person is long winded and authoritative sounding doesn’t mean we have to keep going deeper and deeper down a rabbit hole of obscurity and irrelevance.
@Ogre and others, rather than employing the thumbs down, I'll reply: Some of our best posters over the years have written in depth and with an authority based on experience, as our friend Petit Bateau has. We are lucky to have him contributing to our forum. Your words "long winded" and "authoritative sounding" are uncollegial and dismissive. There is no reason to be so, and the tone you employ is not welcome on this forum.

His investing isn't going to change any of that. Seems like a smart hedge to me.
This whole area of hedging is very interesting to speculate on.

My impression is, most investment funds, household names where a majority of the population have their retirement funds parked, have large amount of oil stocks as part of their portfolio. They may have sold off coal, and made a big song and dance about that, while not changing the amount they have invested in oil.

If they can't sell the oil portion of their portfolio down quickly, slowly investing in Tesla seems like a good hedge to me.

I'm also watching the Bernie Madoff documentary on Netflix and some parts of it are truly "mind boggling".

The only parallel conclusion I can draw is people don't seem to consider how sustainable things are when things seem to be going well. There is a tendency to assume the future is a re-run of the past.

That’d make no sense. The wash sale rule is needed to prevent investors from realizing losses for tax purposes without those investors taking real risk. E.g. a TSLA investor sells shares at a 50% loss then immediately buys them back.

Since losses within pension accounts do nothing to reduce tax exposure there would be no reason for the existence of the wash sale rule for them.
It comes into play if you buy the same stock in a regular account and tax free account, you can't sell for a loss in one and buy under 30 days in the other trying to avoid the wash rule. At least that's my understanding.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and Hock1