Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your view of the Lexus vs. Toyota approach to BEVs? Is there more to it than price/brand segmentation and the desire to protect the massive hybrid franchise? To what extent is Toyota constrained by government guidance these days as it once was?
For all practical purposes they are identical because they are simply the upscale Toyotas.
The overarching idea, until now, has been to promote hybrids. It would not be surprising to see some Lexus BEVs appearing soon because their premium price gives greater pricing latitude, thus can better absorb excess cost.

All the scuttlebutt implies there will be a massive transition to BEVs, and an attempt to make the first ones US built. That is rumor, but it's never wise to depend on rumor.

Logically thinking they may choose to do early launches from Mazda or Subaru, both brands with quirky positioning, as well as Daihatsu for small cars and Hino for trucks. All these are ideal for first higher risk launches with Toyota and Lexus launches following. That may happen, but announcements are bound to come soon if this succession means what many of us think it does mean.

[as usual, I do NOT know this. Based on rumors only, it could be wishful thinking. I do not know. Keep in mind nothing quite like this has happened before with Toyota]

Because corrections can also be big. I'd rather see a constant march than be on a roller coaster ride ;)

As mentioned, this is TSLA, the Roller Coaster may be the only constant march it knows how to do. 🤷‍♂️

Hence the concept of HODL.

Some do put their arms up and scream to get the most out of the ride. 🤪

For all practical purposes they are identical because they are simply the upscale Toyotas.
The overarching idea, until now, has been to promote hybrids. It would not be surprising to see some Lexus BEVs appearing soon because their premium price gives greater pricing latitude, thus can better absorb excess cost.

All the scuttlebutt implies there will be a massive transition to BEVs, and an attempt to make the first ones US built. That is rumor, but it's never wise to depend on rumor.

Logically thinking they may choose to do early launches from Mazda or Subaru, both brands with quirky positioning, as well as Daihatsu for small cars and Hino for trucks. All these are ideal for first higher risk launches with Toyota and Lexus launches following. That may happen, but announcements are bound to come soon if this succession means what many of us think it does mean.

[as usual, I do NOT know this. Based on rumors only, it could be wishful thinking. I do not know. Keep in mind nothing quite like this has happened before with Toyota]
I’ve seen advertising/website content in the US recently for BEVs from Lexus and Subaru — I have a lot of Subaru liberal friends who are very interested, but have hangups about Elon the bazillionaire reactionary.

Credit to @Tommy O for bringing this up. Def worth a quick read.

Wait, whut?

B4277805-300A-469D-9D0E-0B6578FA95CE.jpeg

‘Highland’ 🤔 sounds familiar 😉

Last edited:
I’ve seen advertising/website content in the US recently for BEVs from Lexus and Subaru — I have a lot of Subaru liberal friends who are very interested, but have hangups about Elon the bazillionaire reactionary.

This reminded me of something I saw yesterday when filling up the Transit. On the display running ads there were two back to back placements for EVs.

Literally, on the gas pump as it dispensed the fuel.

It made me grin. 😁

Musk's bar is 1,000% safer than a human.

Odd, I was told that from 2016 on every Tesla had the hardware needed for level 4-5 robotaxis / FSD. And for a couple iterations at least, Tesla was willing to make those hardware changes for customer who bought the package. But now the line is drawn at HW3?
Some early adopters were sold robotaxi functionality, but the narrative changed over time. FSD is not tied to any SAE levels and is now mostly about convincing people that "Full Self-Driving" means sitting in the driver's seat, watching the vehicle do its thing, correcting where necessary, and owning liability in the process.

FSD as it was sold after the change is now "achieved" with that Level 2 functionality, what comes after is anyone's guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see this new Robotaxi platform with a more robust sensor suite, better cameras in new locations, the HD radar maybe, and further iterations will follow.

Reactions: navguy12

Lucid jumps 55% amid Saudi Arabia fund takeover speculation (update)​

Lucid (LCID) short interest is 25%.

More burning.
I wonder if any of those shorts were also shorting TSLA. I hope for their sakes they don't have margin calls and have to buy TSLA tomorrow...

Soooo... add another year or so now before bk?

LCID is up 85%+ today on rumors the Saudis are going to buy the company outright. If they do, then Lucid will go private and it probably means the Saudis will continue to pump as much money into them as needed.

Bankruptcy would not be an option if this happens. Lucid will still be a company losing tons of cash per year with production issues, but they'll be a private mess of a company with huge rich financial owners.