Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ad has shown at least twice in Austin. Is Elon really sitting there, seeing those ads on some giant screen there? Hard not to want to sue. I expect the publicity will work better instead. I mean... those ads are by far the most amateurish-looking footage you can get from Superbowl commercials
I saw it - definitely did run twice in Austin. Reminded me of a poorly made anti-some-local-ordinance ad. Hurried and badly cut, really looked shoddy next to all the overproduced ads, and sounded as one sided as all those local issue ads. Even admitted NHTSA approves FSD. Will reinforce haters, will change few minds, IMO.

5.9-million ton reserve of lithium has been discovered in J&K, India. "Against the normal grade of 220 parts per million (PPM), the lithium found in J&K is of 500 ppm-plus grading."

Put's it in the light that it's not just there, but it's going to be easier to harvest/refine.
From my Indian friend:

"Although it has been customary to say Jammu & Kashmir, these deposits are in a district of State of Jammu which is quite peaceful with no Islamic terrorism. Although even of late Kashmir has had not much issues, with tourism bouncing back after decades of Pakistan backed unrest"

All points to good news for electrification.

Last edited:
I saw it - definitely did run twice in Austin. Reminded me of a poorly made anti-some-local-ordinance ad. Hurried and badly cut, really looked shoddy next to all the overproduced ads, and sounded as one sided as all those local issue ads. Even admitted NHTSA approves FSD. Will reinforce haters, will change few minds, IMO.
Most people will see the ad and feel confused. All ads are trying to sell you something as superbowl is the most expensive single piece of time purchase for a TV spot. Rarely you see someone anti-selling you something. So people may just see this and brush it off, not fully understanding the intent of the ad.

Did you guys see the funny but disingenuous Ram EV ad? Their truck isn’t expected to come out until fall 2024, so they run an ad talking about Premature Electrification as if it were a male performance issue. It was actually a funny ad, but I’m a bit annoyed at it since it was an anti-EV ad.
Saw it. It was a cute, but shallow, attempt to sow doubt about the current state of vehicle electrification in a rather desperate attempt to get potential customers to delay their EV purchase until Ram rolls out their truck in 2024. Best part is when they tried to bridge the gap between bashing current EVs to selling their yet-to-be built EV by saying, our vehicle will “be designed to address these issues”. In other words, don’t buy an F-150 or CT, wait for our yet to be fully designed or put into production truck that will be totally amazing (because we say so). And, while your waiting feel free to buy one more ICE truck from us. Both sad and funny.

Amazingly, I did not see a single car commercial for an ICE vehicle. Clear sign we reached the capitulation phase. Way to go Mary!

O’Dowd commercial did not run here in Denver/Boulder market that I saw.

The U in SUV stands for utility. Owners shouldn't feel badly about utilizing their vehicle's capability. This makes more sense than also maintaining an ICE pickup until your CT arrives, unless you really need one.
Sure.

But I want to haul even more tools and go more places than my Model Y enables. I sold my Tundra before the first delay hit thinking I’d end up going 6-9 months without a truck. Little did I know.

Reactions: Fred42
Did you guys see the funny but disingenuous Ram EV ad? Their truck isn’t expected to come out until fall 2024, so they run an ad talking about Premature Electrification as if it were a male performance issue. It was actually a funny ad, but I’m a bit annoyed at it since it was an anti-EV ad.
I thought it was kind of funny, but not a particularly good advert. Might prevent 2-3 people from reserving a Rivian or Lightning, but it’s completely forgettable and doesn’t do anything to get people excited about their truck.

Reactions: StapleGun
As a Tesla investor and HODLer, I passed on the McElroy video on Tesla profits to friends for their information

A few have come back and pointed out that Tesla have dropped their prices by more than the profits so must be now trading with negative profits?! Like Ford...

How do I answer this? Can some accountant or industry watcher explain the figures now? Is Tesla temporarily upping demand by selling at a loss?
Thanks

So Tesla, which is working 247 ludicrous speed to make batteries and cars and ram. is just gonna magically produce a pick up truck next fall when it’s many unionized battery factories and lithium supply operation for battery grade lithium, or they’re just going to go to Costco?

So Tesla, which is working 247 ludicrous speed to make batteries and cars and ram. is just gonna magically produce a pick up truck next fall when it’s many unionized battery factories and lithium supply operation for battery grade lithium, or they’re just going to go to Costco?
It sounds like Stellantis is partnering up with Samsung to make batteries in Indiana. Maybe they have an arrangement with Samsung to buy batteries from them until production begins at the new plant.

As a Tesla investor and HODLer, I passed on the McElroy video on Tesla profits to friends for their information

A few have come back and pointed out that Tesla have dropped their prices by more than the profits so must be now trading with negative profits?! Like Ford...

How do I answer this? Can some accountant or industry watcher explain the figures now? Is Tesla temporarily upping demand by selling at a loss?
Thanks
Seriously doubt Tesla is selling at a loss. Keep in mind, the numbers he’s tossing around are not gross margins, they are operating margins divided by vehicle count.

Operating margins include fixed costs which do not increase with volume. So if they sold 250,000 cars in the 1st quarter 2022, those fixed costs are spread across 250,000 cars. In the 1st quarter of 2023, their fixed costs will be spread across… 450,000-500,000 cars.

So Tesla is raising prices again. Hey Tesla you are going to learn something real quick, the consumer is a quick learner. Train them and they sit on the sidelines till the next big price cut.

After two years of raising prices, Tesla lowered them to about the point where they used to be. Now they're adjusting them in small increments every other week until equilibrium between production and demand has been reached. Looking at this pattern, would I hold out as a prospective buyer? Certainly not.
Will prices come down again? Quite possible. Zach stated that they're managing their operating margins and that implies that they will pass on cost savings to the customers. But that's not what recent price moves suggest.

Tesla have dropped their prices by more than the profits so must be now trading with negative profits?! Like Ford...

How do I answer this?

Tesla was NOT selling it's products at the previous list prices. The order backlog was a huge talking point for mules bears last Fall, but they intentionally missed the point: the purpose of the price increases were to prevent the order backlog from growing to unmanagable level (2+ yrs). As it was, Tesla sold most of the products in Q4 at prices locked in when the order was placed, mostly in Q1 or Q2.

So the appropriate comparison for profitability at these prices is the last time prices were at these levels, which was Q1 2022. Care to ponder how much profit Tesla made that quarter? ;)

The biggest differences between now and Q1 2022 are all positives:
  • auto production rate has nearly doubled (305K in 22Q1, 439K in 22Q4, 23Q1 TBD)
  • raw materials prices have peaked and are coming down
  • Tesla production costs are lower (Shanghai upgrades, Austin + Berlin lines ramping)
  • we are now beginning the 'ladder-up' in production of Megapack (exponential)
TL;dr Shortzes always have talking points, and always work hard to ignore the 800-lb gorilla in the room: Tesla Production.

FWIW, short interest end of January (newest numbers available) remained high at 90 million. And going by daily percentage of short-tagged transactions per @Papafox, short interest rather went further up than any covering taking place. This leaves me wondering whether Dan Ives is unwilling to see, disingenuous or has some inside information that we ordinary folks don't get.

Thanks for those useful replies!

I'm on the Jag I-Pace forum (owning one) and recently there was a poster who has sold his I-Pace and bought a Model Y (built Berlin - 02/23). He is very happy with it but commented:-

"It is a brand new model, produced in Berlin/Brandenburg in calender week 02/2023. The quality is definitely improved compared to Shanghai models but there is enough room for further improvement." and also complained about the delivery experience (he has previously owned a Tesla a few years ago).

The delivery is disappointing but may be patchy and is a one-off experience but I'm disappointed to see that Berlin is also producing 'below par' cars - I thought the German cars would be Porsche/Audi-esque.

Is this a product of the factory, the design or the personnel making the cars?

Or maybe not generally true?

Is this a product of the factory, the design or the personnel making the cars?
We switched from a Fremont-made Model X to a Shanghai-made Model Y LR to a Berlin-made P and with every vehicle the quality got a lot better.

My Made in Germany MYP from Oct 22 is extremely well built. Everything feels sturdy, no rattles or squeaking parts. Quality is easily comparible with BMW, Benz, etc.

Only issue I found over the last 10,000km is that the hood is slightly misaligned. That's it. It's crazy how good the car is.

I think your friend was just unlucky. My cousin also has a MYP from Berlin, also from October, and his car also has no issues so far.