Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain that paragraph to me? What the heck is LCNRV?
I think that they have to write down the value of inventory. If they paid $500 but it is only worth $250 now they have to adjust for the $250 loss of inventory value. Especially because they are overpaying since they can't take delivery of as many parts as they committed to buying.

Reactions: kbM3
Elon being chastised by the CCP, I expect negative headlines tomorrow to try and push the stock down.

Didn’t this come out in beginning of the day? If anything it would’ve affected todays prices. Nothing burger imo there’s an entire subreddit devoted to China “warning” people 🤣

How much does a Tesla owner pay for Supercharging at those sites?
Unfortunately I dont know because I have free Supercharging and it doesn't list prices for me. I wanted to find out and put that in my original post but dont have a way to compare.

Edit: Oops! I forgot I have a Model Y too (Not my primary car, and I've never supercharged it and dont really ever plan to).... I got in there and the prices are the same as listed "membership" prices for charge your non-Tesla. So a non-Tesla owner can pay the membership price and get the same price as someone with a Tesla.

20230228_203151.jpg
20230228_203235.jpg

Last edited:
I think that they have to write down the value of inventory. If they paid $500 but it is only worth $250 now they have to adjust for the $250 loss of inventory value. Especially because they are overpaying since they can't take delivery of as many parts as they committed to buying.
Almost $1B in inventory write downs for 2022? That’s incompetence squared. You know what Tesla would have done? Not paid through the nose, and shipped less cars, thus pissing away far less money. You just don’t make these kinds of decisions Rivian is making when you run a company if you want to survive.

Apparently they missed the part when Elon fired the CEO immediately after finding out that it cost more to make the roadster than they were charging.

A negative gross margin business is not a business, it's a charity.
Yes, and now that I think about it, Elon raised prices on the Roadster when he realized the original pricing had negative margins. He got a lot of heat for it, and Tesla was a really small startup back then. It was the right call, of course. Meanwhile Rivian did the opposite…

Almost $1B in inventory write downs for 2022? That’s incompetence squared. You know what Tesla would have done? Not paid through the nose, and shipped less cars, thus pissing away far less money.
That wouldn't have helped. They thought they would ramp fast so they committed to buying a ton of parts, so they have to pay for them even if they can't use them. (Unless of course they have room to store them, but they would risk them being worthless if they need to change the design during the ramp, like with the powered tonneau cover.)

Yes, and now that I think about it, Elon raised prices on the Roadster when he realized the original pricing had negative margins. He got a lot of heat for it, and Tesla was a really small startup back then. It was the right call, of course. Meanwhile Rivian did the opposite…
Well what's Rivian going to do, raise the MSRP to 250k? Because that's what needs to be done. Elon's roadster had a small negative gross margin, not the monstrosity that is Rivian's truck.

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and GOVA
So, bye-bye Electrify America?

Looks like it to me.
No, probably not. Unless Tesla changes their mind and opens all Supercharger sites instead of just the ~10% of them that they have announced would be open by the end of 2024.

But, I'm sure EA will get plenty of NEVI funding to upgrade their sites and build new ones.

So, bye-bye Electrify America?

Looks like it to me.
If 1/4 stalls work for EA, I think NOT making revenue is the least of their worries. I mean their stations spend most of their life not making revenue. Now they will have less operating expense because no one will call them out for a fix since no one will be using them. They can still report to the government that they are "functioning" because no one said they are broken, and their system obviously can't tell. This way they can keep getting free checks from the government.

EA's new business model
Build paper waste->get free money

Rivian did what they needed to do in order to make their pre-IPO investors happy. They screwed owners, they screwed IPO investors, but they made their venture capital partners happy. They IPO’d right before the truck was released knowing full well the truck they’d sold could not be produced profitably long term.

They told investors they had an order book which was full knowing they had to raise prices which would cause lost sales.

They strung those customers along (and the media along with it) with 2 years of promotions and lies based on a truck they couldn’t really deliver. Leading up to the IPO there was a massive promotion so they could cram as many trucks into their order book as possible.

Total con-job. CFO quit 2 months after IPO.
Well what's Rivian going to do, raise the MSRP to 250k? Because that's what needs to be done. Elon's roadster had a small negative gross margin, not the monstrosity that is Rivian's truck.
If they have a viable long term strategy, it might be to keep delivering the trucks they’ve committed to while working on a more affordable platform to replace it. Then once they have a truck and give customers the option to move their orders over to their “2.0” platform which they can profit on.

I don’t think they have a viable long term strategy though. I think they are praying for massive reductions in battery costs and Tesla to delay the Cybertruck for another 5 years.

Rivian did what they needed to do in order to make their pre-IPO investors happy. They screwed owners, they screwed IPO investors, but they made their venture capital partners happy. They IPO’d right before the truck was released knowing full well the truck they’d sold could not be produced profitably long term.

They told investors they had an order book which was full knowing they had to raise prices which would cause lost sales.

They strung those customers along (and the media along with it) with 2 years of promotions and lies based on a truck they couldn’t really deliver. Leading up to the IPO there was a massive promotion so they could cram as many trucks into their order book as possible.

Total con-job. CFO quit 2 months after IPO.

If they have a viable long term strategy, it might be to keep delivering the trucks they’ve committed to while working on a more affordable platform to replace it. Then once they have a truck and give customers the option to move their orders over to their “2.0” platform which they can profit on.

I don’t think they have a viable long term strategy though. I think they are praying for massive reductions in battery costs and Tesla to delay the Cybertruck for another 5 years.
The part that kills me the most is Rivian/Lucid are losing this much money after cell producers have lowered the price of batteries by 87%! Tesla's high ramp has helped lower the difficulty to profitability by a large amount and yet all these clowns are playing with foam bubbles when they should be playing chess.

If 1/4 stalls work for EA, I think NOT making revenue is the least of their worries. I mean their stations spend most of their life not making revenue. Now they will have less operating expense because no one will call them out for a fix since no one will be using them. They can still report to the government that they are "functioning" because no one said they are broken, and their system obviously can't tell. This way they can keep getting free checks from the government.

EA's new business model
Build paper waste->get free money
I don't think they get government money. Their funding comes from the VW dieselgate settlement.

Excuse my ignorance, but the festivities tomorrow start at 1 PM PST, right? Appears that way on the YouTube site, but you never know...

AH stock may be a roller coaster depending on what's announced and by whom. Surely Elon's going to introduce Tom Zhu to the western world, will be interesting to hear from him as well as the rest of the usual suspects.

Thanks all!

Reactions: SOULPEDL