Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest point to add to the list:
Elon stepping down as CEO and appoints Tom Zhu as replacement
You never know, but I find that incredibly unlikely... Can be that Tom is being groomed as Elon's successor, but I would expect the transition to take a couple of years, gradual and be well signalled in advance

OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!
Gene I hope your surgeons are skilled and well-rested, and that you make it through with flying colors!

Of note, Monterrey Institute of Technology has many programs that can feed the new plant - Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Automotive, etc. and is arguably one of the top 2-3 universities in Mexico. The city is more than twice the size of Austin, 10x Reno, not anywhere near Shanghai, etc. so the human capital side seems encouraging.

Gene - You and I met at the Lucid unveil years ago, introduced by Greg Goetchius (sp?). Godspeed Thursday.

Malaysian import tariffs on Teslas high or low?
It is not quite that simple. In 2021 new BEV incentives were promulgated. The specifics do include Road Tax exemptions and trade agreement modifications. Other local manufacturing and investment incentives also have a part. Hence the Tesla specifics undoubtedly have incentives for Superchargers, certainly with access to non-Tesla vehicles also, and Malaysia sourcing agreements can also yield benefits. In short the generic answers are not really relevant and thus for the Tesla specifics have not been disclosed.

Generically car import duties are 30% and local taxes 10%.

The whole Malay peninsula is now selling Tesla from Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. The first two both import many used cars from Singapore and Japan, both of which retire cars at very young age. Not too far ahead similar markets should develop for Tesla and other BEV's but that will wait for major market penetration fo BEV in both countries. Later similar processes will begin in the Indian subcontinent. As we consider Tesla future development these issues will become relevant as will the huge needs for smaller passenger cars and minivans. The tuk-tuk market BEV market is thriving in India and Thailand, while China's growth is in micro-mini cars. Those need never be Tesla's market but their growth is now beginning to drive higher level demand.

Such considerations ar obviously part of today's issues. I'll wager there will be little discussion, primarily because North Americans are the largest audience and they think a Ford F150 is small, so they are incapable of understanding China , Indian subcontinent or the Malay peninsula. Elon does so they'll be a 'silent' part of the plan

We now wait for Indonesia, themselves anxious to have Tesla, plus Philippines. Logistically Indonesia and Philippines are challenging because they're made up of huge expanses of islands linked [almost] only by air and sea, making support exceedingly difficult. Still, Tesla is at the point of supporting nearly all accessible markets.

After Mexico and Sigma come all those wide-open South and Central American markets.
Within a few months we'll begin more Africa, rather than just Morocco tourist oriented Superchargers. South Africa beckons! Luckily MB, VAG are already nearly everywhere, as are parts of Stellantis.

I want to say there are more production lines in Shanghai vs Fremont. Fremont waste a lot of valuable space and staff on lower production Model S/X while Shanghai only pumps out high volume cars. As for Austin and Texas those are not at full ramp so it's not apples to oranges.

The same for Grünheide and Brandenburg ;)

Is it though? Heard lots of stories of it getting bricked in cold conditions (“Now you know” YouTube video), and to me it looks like something out of Mickey Mouse club. It’s cute, I guess…but in a silly sort of ridge line way. And service is a real long term risk ala tesla cars in 2010. I know looks are trivial/subjective/irrelevant, I just don’t see how it’s any better than the Ford Lightening.
I'm with you on the looks.. the Mr. Krabs headlights and overall look is a bit cutesy for me.

That having been said, the underlying engineering for the platform is a night and day difference between it and the Lightning, in my opinion.

The Rivian was designed from the ground up as an EV and has some elegant engineering. (Probably contributing to their financial woes). The Lightning appears to have EV guts thrown haphazardly in to the existing ICE chassis. lt would not surprise me to have nightmarish maintenance, which should not be the case for an EV. It also appears to have almost zero thought from an optimization standpoint (aero, running gear, etc..)

No, probably not. Unless Tesla changes their mind and opens all Supercharger sites instead of just the ~10% of them that they have announced would be open by the end of 2024.

But, I'm sure EA will get plenty of NEVI funding to upgrade their sites and build new ones.
Also the 800V cars are limited to slower charging rates than 400V cars, i.e. ionic, Porsche... There was the video of the guy in NY that got 62kW and said he expects to get about half of what he could get at EA, but since those are often unavailable this would be a great backup for him. This Rivian charged at 150kW which is not bad...

I wonder if v4 supercharger is different in that respect.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!
We joined here about a month apart @gene , I also buying my S in early 2013.

I'm pulling for you, good sir. As others have noted, there's a high degree of success for such procedures. I look forward to your posts during recovery.

Rivian did what they needed to do in order to make their pre-IPO investors happy. They screwed owners, they screwed IPO investors, but they made their venture capital partners happy. They IPO’d right before the truck was released knowing full well the truck they’d sold could not be produced profitably long term.

They told investors they had an order book which was full knowing they had to raise prices which would cause lost sales.

Worst part was having committed to the lower price to so many people while on eBay the same $80k truck got flipped for $120-160k. Maybe they should not have followed teslas example of preorders at fixed prices but instead sold them auction style themselves to find the perfect market price of the day