Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen this before, but having the onboard computer running and testing components as they are produced is seriously next gen stuff. And literally impossible for every other company because they bold their crap "Infotainment" on after the fact.

This is the first time I really appreciate why building an EV from the ground up is so different from modifying an ICE production line to accommodate EV production.

"Made the decision to remove the sunroof on Model S because we modeled and tracked it and no one was using it".

I miss my sunroof TBH.
Translated: “Removed the sunroof because of way too many repairs due to bad rail design”. I still have a functional sunroof on my 2015 Model S but only because I clean and lubricate the rails yearly…

“No one was using it” - maybe because it broke after the warranty period and is way too expensive to fix… 😅

DIdn't Audi do this? I know they have been talking about it for awhile. Its not a new idea, everyone in the biz knows its better but have been dragging their feet to move to 48V. Congrats for Tesla for moving to it.
They can do this because they're not counting on (as many) third party suppliers for integrated components. 48v will virtually guarantee that they won't be able to get a component off the shelf today.

Translated: “Removed the sunroof because of way too many repairs due to bad rail design”. I still have a functional sunroof on my 2015 Model S but only because I clean and lubricate the rails yearly…

“No one was using it” - maybe because it broke after the warranty period and is way too expensive to fix… 😅
?? I've had sunroofs in my last several cars and virtually never opened them. Too noisy, and too much sun load. Much prefer glass roof, with more daylight, more head room and no rattles.