Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…or maybe you have rose pedaled glasses on. “Aren’t trained in deception”? Are you serious?

I’ll point out one obvious lie. “We reduce costs while improving quality.” That’s not what taking out the motorized lumbar support feature is on the passenger side seat. “The data says people don’t use it” my ass. Then why does the cubertruck today show that on passenger side.

This is class A delusion right here.

Forget the model 2, the dry electrode process hasn’t even hit their original goals, otherwise they wouldn’t have danced around it with “always trying to be better.” No. It’s behind. That’s why Elon admitted to going with the backup plan for 2170 in giga Texas and why those factories haven’t ramped to where we all were expecting by now. Full stop.

The model 2 probably does still have challenges to get the math to work which is why it hasn’t been revealed. That’s fine, but it means Tesla ain’t gonna be hitting 50% YoY growth this year or next. Lucky if 40% with 20% margin honestly. Still great numbers though.
well since you caught them in soooo many lies you proved my point.
And how Pissed-off were you to write "Rose Pedaled" glasses? It is "rose-colored," and petal not pedaled... unless Rose is on a bicycle.

I’ll point out one obvious lie. “We reduce costs while improving quality.”
Yet it’s exactly what Toyota just admitted to. The hose was one example.

They give a shot of ? as reward to any employee who eliminates 1kg. So ya, that employee likely proved the sunroof and right lumbar were not enouph value add, backed by hard data, and they celebrated.

Live stream from a Bar somewhere in Austin with a bunch of our favorite TSLA commentators: Rob Maurer, Dave Lee, Pierre, Sandy, etc. Discussing todays event and also the factory tour they received today.

Let me get this straight;

Not only did Tesla demonstrate the next gen manufacturing process which completely obliterates any gold standard of auto manufacturing efficiency in human history if they execute as advertised (which is Tesla’s at this point anyway), they also announced the Gigafactory location in Mexico which will build them come late 2024 - early 2025. If they hit their targets they are going to produce a 25K automobile at around 30% profit margins. This is unreal. The next gen will have endless demand and absolutely no competition at that price point.

They showcased the Cybertruck and confirmed production will ramp this year.

They showed an Optimus building an Optimus and then the Optimii hanging together for pics (was that real? How can we confirm?).

They announced their next version of permanent magnet electric motor will have no rare earth metals in it at all.

They gave example after example of incredible envelope pushing efficiency improvements and cost reductions for all aspects of Tesla car production.

I did not even mention the FSD.

Yet because an actual next generation auto was not unveiled (for obvious reasons) the event was a boring sell the news failure.

Laughable.

Someone around here better laugh all the way to the bank.

The legacy OEMs must truly feel like aliens landed and are putting their alien technology to work. Good News for them that second through seventh place should be able to survive the slow motion collapse we are witnessing and limp along (with some good old gubmint handouts). Can’t speak for the rest of them.

V2H... Elon got it wrong... "When you leave the house the lights go off, your wife ain't gonna be happy." She'll be happy as she can be because she is in the car with you.
V2H does not mean off-grid. Just the opposite, in its full glory. But even as V2H, it means that most of a home's night time consumption is from daytime generation.

People see sustainable, cheap daytime energy as enabling the EV transition. But I think no less important (and perhaps much more so), widespread EV ownership enable the RE transition via storage. They need each other. It is the best non-linear dynamic of the era.

Let me put it his way: California's NEM 3.0 cut the value of residential solar by 75%. An EV puts that value back.

Let me get this straight;

Not only did Tesla demonstrate the next gen manufacturing process which completely obliterates any gold standard of auto manufacturing efficiency in human history if they execute as advertised (which is Tesla’s at this point anyway), they also announced the Gigafactory location in Mexico which will build them come late 2024 - early 2025. If they hit their targets they are going to produce a 25K automobile at around 30% profit margins. This is unreal. The next gen will have endless demand and absolutely no competition at that price point.

They showcased the Cybertruck and confirmed production will ramp this year.

They showed an Optimus building an Optimus and then the Optimii hanging together for pics (was that real? How can we confirm?).

They announced their next version of permanent magnet electric motor will have no rare earth metals in it at all.

They gave example after example of incredible envelope pushing efficiency improvements and cost reductions for all aspects of Tesla car production.

I did not even mention the FSD.

Yet because an actual next generation auto was not unveiled (for obvious reasons) the event was a boring sell the news failure.

Laughable.

Someone around here better laugh all the way to the bank.

The legacy OEMs must truly feel like aliens landed and are putting their alien technology to work. Good News for them that second through seventh place should be able to survive the slow motion collapse we are witnessing and limp along (with some good old gubmint handouts). Can’t speak for the rest of them.
I think the point you raise about the legacy OEMs is bang on.

While the media (and unfortunately some retail shareholders apparently) were bored without a new shiny thing unveiled, I imagine in board rooms & production/design offices of legacy auto companies they will have every red alert alarm going off as they watched todays masterclass from Tesla. They were all already struggling to skate to wear the puck currently is, and Tesla just unveiled the puck is going to be in a whole different arena, somewhere over the horizon line.

One question I didn't hear, and I was screaming it to myself, was "What the heck is Project Highland?" Never heard it mentioned unfortunately and would have liked to know the answer. I believe it's more like what Connecting The Dots video stated, an overall look at improving efficiency, named for Henry Ford's Highland Park plant, rather than just improvements in Model 3, but who knows.

As for Gen 3, while they have the idea and maybe even some prototypes, I believe it's more tightly connected to Giga Monterrey than we know. Not only will the factory be built to build the car, but the car will be build to take advantage of the GF... the machine that builds the machine. And I don't think we'll see or hear much about it until shortly before the first BEV roles off the factory floor.

I'm damn proud to be a part owner of perhaps the most advanced company ever to exist on this Earth. As well as being a member of this community!

btw, v4 chargers will have longer charging cords, where first deployed in Europe. This solves issues we see with the current v2/v3 magic dock solution where F150-lightning had to park sideways to reach its charge port

F150 Lightnings do not have to park sideways to charge at Superchargers. Similar to a Rivian, the cord reaches to the Lightning's charge port on V3 Superchargers.

Watch carefully when the first robot unplugs the arm connector- that looks very artificial. The lighting also seems off. There may be bits of staging intermixed with the CGI, but I'm sure there is some CGI in there. We'll know soon enough, one way or the other.
Possible, but the unplug was easy compared to picking up that drill.

I am concerned they have the robot so light and efficient trying to lower costs to $20k, that the system is jittery and slow as a result. Powerful motors, but flexible and lightweight… hard to control that combo. Needs mass I think, but then battery life suffers. They’ll get it no doubt.

• Helpful
Reactions: SunCatcher
Really want to see more about the modular construction of the next-gen vehicle(s). Building modules of the left and right sides (with all doors and interior details) and then joining them to some form of center-vehicle module(s) is a radical approach. Really wonder just how they are going to get the structural integrity and join those modules into a completed vehicle. Concept makes a lot of sense, gotta be a lot easier to construct the sub-assemblies and Tesla excels on execution of new manufacturing technologies. Would really like to see that plant in operation.

One thing I've always been curious about with Tesla's constant design improvements cut in at random times is service/maintenance items. Configuration management has to be a nightmare to manage service parts. It's not like you can go into an Autozone and tell them you want a window actuator for a '22 MY (for example, not sure that particular part was changed) when it might be a different part through the model year. And depending on which plant it was built at. Seems like they are going to have to track right down to the VIN of the particular car, and keep lots of parts in inventory to support service.
Vin-specific BOM is nothing unachievable. Plus the car is self-aware enough to know the revs of hardware, via telemetry.
What's more interesting are hints from Franz and today's "herringbone" assembly plant. Remember, today's cars are assembled in body-in-white, then painted, then large parts like doors are taken out for trim installation, and then reunited with the car. All of it so that paint batch and shade match perfectly. A lot of timing and matching effort and WIP movement. In a recent interview Franz alluded to more products in cybertruck aesthetic. So the low cost might not be painted at all.

One thing I've always been curious about with Tesla's constant design improvements cut in at random times is service/maintenance items. Configuration management has to be a nightmare to manage service parts. It's not like you can go into an Autozone and tell them you want a window actuator for a '22 MY (for example, not sure that particular part was changed) when it might be a different part through the model year. And depending on which plant it was built at. Seems like they are going to have to track right down to the VIN of the particular car, and keep lots of parts in inventory to support service.

Yes, that's one of the advantages Tesla has over everyone else. Since they own their service centers, and built their own manufacturing software systems, they do indeed track internal parts down to the VIN, and their service centers have access to this info.

One question I didn't hear, and I was screaming it to myself, was "What the heck is Project Highland?" Never heard it mentioned unfortunately and would have liked to know the answer. I believe it's more like what Connecting The Dots video stated, an overall look at improving efficiency, named for Henry Ford's Highland Park plant, rather than just improvements in Model 3, but who knows.

As for Gen 3, while they have the idea and maybe even some prototypes, I believe it's more tightly connected to Giga Monterrey than we know. Not only will the factory be built to build the car, but the car will be build to take advantage of the GF... the machine that builds the machine. And I don't think we'll see or hear much about it until shortly before the first BEV roles off the factory floor.

I'm damn proud to be a part owner of perhaps the most advanced company ever to exist on this Earth. As well as being a member of this community!
For Gen3 some part of the job must simply be a lot of CAD designs for the car and for the manufacturing equipment.

If they can find a section of suitable space somewhere in Austin they can start work... assuming that there are people who have the time/resources to work on this project.

If they need to make new parts they can start on that because Austin and initially supply parts to Monterrey.

If they know what they need for the structural battery pack, they can build it because Austin can supply Monterrey.

In theory they could work out the manufacture of some part of the car then package all that up and store it in a warehouse, then start work on the next part.

And they can also plan the layout of Monterrey and order some of the equipment they will need.

I also expected to hear more about Model 3 Highland.

IMO the presentation was similar to a magic trick where the magician walks the audience though how the magic trick is done, some simply expected a quick magic trick, and don't really care how it works, For me, how it works is all important.

Possible, but the unplug was easy compared to picking up that drill.

I am concerned they have the robot so light and efficient trying to lower costs to $20k, that the system is jittery and slow as a result. Powerful motors, but flexible and lightweight… hard to control that combo. Needs mass I think, but then battery life suffers. They’ll get it no doubt.
The drill usage, especially when the bot unmounts it, looks very artificial to me too- and not just in the robotic sense. I don't think the animation is meant to be a deep fake- and we'll get some clarification soon.

Unless it’s coupled with solar, a PW is not a very useful backup if the outage lasts more than a couple of days. A typical EV has as much capacity as 5 to 7 power walls and in a pinch a user has the option to go load on juice at a charging station and bring it back home.
There are plenty of car buyers who will find V2G an attractive feature especially if they are going to be buying an EV regardless. It’s basically a free benefit. A PW is an added cost
Agreed. At the very least, it's a great marketing tool and selling point, that seems as if it could be added for a very modest cost. Most of us living in rural areas face intermittent power outages. Being able to plug in an EV for the occasional time it's necessary is much more appealing than spending tens of thousands for the equivalent storage in a Powerwall (different story if you've invested in solar, obviously). Much cheaper to go buy a gen-set for emergencies than to go PW for this. I suspect that Elon is more focused on his long-term goal of transitioning to renewables than a backup system that might be very appealing to customers. I think they are missing the boat on this one.

The Tesla event had two underlying themes: one strategic and long-term focused, and the other tactical and investor-focused. While Master Plan Part 3 outlined the company's ambitious 10-year plan, the emphasis on cost savings and margins was also critical in reassuring investors about Tesla's financial health.

How Tesla would hit 20m vehicles was just the start of their 10-year plan. They also talked a lot about how they would source the materials for them and how they’ve eliminated many of the more expensive and rare materials which would block their progress. This 10 year plan is why I love Tesla so much. Nobody else has this kind of long term vision.

The tactical side of this presentation was the very clear illustration that Tesla is absolutely smashing it from a cost savings perspective. And when I thought about that a little bit, I realized why this was the second theme of this event. Why so much emphasis on cost savings at this juncture? The timing of the meeting, right after the massive price cut, suggests that the second theme was very deliberately chosen to assuage investor’s fears about that price cut.

The whole idea this wasn’t an investor focused meeting is backwards. It wasn’t a product focused meeting. If you are invested in Tesla, margins should be a huge concern. Seems like many who were very concerned about margins 3 weeks ago suddenly don’t care about them today.

Martin Viecha summarizes:

Summary for those who don't have 3 hours:
  1. Transition to sustainable energy is entirely feasible
  2. global mining will *reduce* in this transition
  3. next-gen vehicles will be manufactured very differently
  4. no more rare earths in the next powertrains
  5. transitioning to 48V
  6. data powers everything, our factories, cars, service, decision making
  7. simplification of all components in the chain
  8. unlimited charging for $30/month in Texas
  9. cost reduction is in our veins - a fundamental enabler of this transition
Delivered by a phenomenal team that I have the privilege to work with