Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw a White Model Y driven by a male in his early 30s on a Pittsburgh street with a oval car magnet with the message, "I love batteries, I don't like Musk, my next car will be a different EV". Seriously. I mean that is next level insecurity on display in my opinion to even have taken the time to make a custom car magnet to virtue signal their opinion.
he probably works for GM ... just driving a Tesla waiting for a compelling GM EV to arrive .... he will be waiting a while 🥱

Last edited:

My impression is Tesla knows it is hard to achieve a fine balance between supply and demand, ramping factories and vehicle margins. So price cuts are intended to ensure that as factories ramp, demand is never an issue. Hence any build up in inventory beyond simple logistics would probably result in price cuts.
Most of your post is reasonable.

There remains a point that nearly all of us ignore.
That is, in academic marketing terms, distribution. Because Tesla differs from every other OEM in the core distribution features, most obviously absence of dealers but also obviously by providing after sale 'refueling' in every geographic area where their vehicles are sold. No other OEM has anything like that.

Because of the core distribution strategy Tesla does not have a comprehensive sales network. To clarify what is, perhaps, glaringly obvious, Tesla establishes Supercharger availability PRIOR to opening stores. Just think about that when assuming that their primary sales lever is price. It is NOT. The primary lever is Supercharger expansion coupled with subsequent store and service center opening. That means vast areas in established core markets, quintessentially California, are absent nearby Tesla stores as are many areas in nearly every large country where Tesla is already sold. Further, there are many significant car markets in which Tesla is not present. Just to make certain we all understand Tesla does not presently sell in South America, Africa, the Subcontinent, Saudi Arabia, Oman and so on. Even Greece and Turkey hahave a single pop-up style store without much Supercharger buildout. Morocco and Bulgaria, uniquely, have Superchargers but no store.

This longish list is to illustrate that Tesla's primary demand lever is distribution, which is limited mostly by the torrid pace of Supercharger expansion, with Service Centers next and stores last in terms of complexity. Factually price is, for Tesla, a tactical timing lever in most cases. In longer term more varied and lower priced cars will accelerate accessibility and volumes, as will Cybertruck and other vehicles.

Price, as Tesla keeps telling us, will be reduced for every given model as costs reduce and as manufacturing and materials permit. Nearly all the analysts seem to think price is the only factor and that reducing price indicates lack of demand. As Elon and Tesla repeatedly say (duly ignored by most of us and almost all analysts) prices will rise and lower as costs do, and demand will, from time to time, move earlier or later with price and supply.

In short Price is one tool, NOT the primary one.
In the next year or two, nearly all those missing markets will open, and coverage within existing markets will deepen. Those two will ensure continuing expansion of sales in existing markets and now ones too.

In the meantime, every one of us should know by now that Tesla's exceedingly rigorous cost controls, nearly unique financial management excellence and product improvements are all contributing to increased ability to maintain margins well above any OEM with the single exception of RACE, and we all might consider Ferrari as smaller than a major OEM and a unique cases. FWIW, only RACE and TSLA manage inventory DOH so exceedingly well.
What those two do share is the ability to have a nearly unique cash conversion cycle, which means they actually have increased cash flow as they grow more quickly.

Summary: check cash before price. Cash is, as they say, King! Tesla is really in superb shape.
Agonizing on quarterly sales is quite misleading at best. Agonizing on Q on Q is itself terminally ignorant because of vehicle sales extreme seasonality, if one wants to look at all Y on Y is better. Free Cash Flow is the one that really counts!

Last edited:

Boy, his lawyer must feel dumb now.
If Tesla wished to do so, it could probably have this award reduced. Apparently it was $200k in damages, $3 million in punitive. The punitive portion probably would be reduced by a judge as out of proportion to the damages. But it appears that Tesla won't appeal.

Edit: It was $175k in damages, so I guess they could probably have the punitive portion reduced to at most $1.75 million.

Last edited:
The EV numbers both GM and Ford just put up for Q1 are shockingly embarrassing. Mach E sales especially should be scaring the hell out of any Ford investor
i guess not at all surprising considering losses per unit disclosed by Ford ... the innovators dilemma is in full force now ... the high end ICE SUV and pickups are all that is left for OEMs ... hence they will redouble effort to their one or two profitable segments .... once these segments run dry ... bankruptcy is next step...this is going to be very difficult to make transition to EV ...

Sorry about what?
(13d /75 * Q4 deliveries + Q1 in transit) / Q1 deliveries * 75 = 16 days of supply for Q1 2023

16 days is also Tesla reported average days of supply for 2022 as a whole per their Q4 2022 slide deck.

My point being, days of supply gets skewed by continual growth, and the 16 day number is nothing new nor something to have concern with (not that I thought @Gigapress was concerned).
If one does worry about the minor uptick, I suggest comparing deliveries to the previous quarter's production and pretending Tesla has dealerships with 60+ days of inventory on site.
I'm sorry because I think you are reading the slide deck incorrectly. I don't see how I can be reading it that incorrectly given that we know the quarterly inventory numbers.

1680622324508.png

However I'm not concerned about the inventory. Really it seems fine by me.

For simplicity using the arithmetic mean of the #d inventory at EOQ one gets (3+4+8+13)/4 = 7 days average inventory throughout the year. So Tesla started the year with about 3d of inventory; finished the year with 13d of inventory; and averaged 7d of inventory across the year. You can get slightly different numbers if you use #vehicles (either using the numbers above, or using the cumulative P/D numbers), but not that different.

Now strictly speaking these were last day of quarter inventories. Quite what the inventory levels were during the quarter we have little insight into. Going forwards however the in-quarter inventory will (should) be very similar to the end of quarter inventory. Provided that stays low-ish (at whatever is optimal) that is fine by me. Anything less than 20 would be outstanding.

Reactions: NicoV and oldTAVguy
Thinking FSD China pumps up the margins as Tesla drops vehicle pricing. Think Printer market - yes it's an old analogy, but China is huge. They turn on that switch and BAM! instant cashflow increase (as @unk45 clearly points out) with more countries and markets to follow. It's a step function, a light switch.

well maybe :D But also a lot of growth should come from cybertruck and semi. Tesla is about to enter two completely new market segments. They could grow total revenue by 50% without having to make cheaper model 3s and Ys. Especially if you factor in:
  • Supercharging revenue from 3rd parties
  • Tesla Energy revenue
  • Better FSD recognition plus better takeup due to improved features
I know Tesla are always looking many years ahead, so are sensibly looking at cost reductions, but they can get to their 50% growth just by market expansion in the short, maybe even medium term.
Definitely there are further catalysts, though I might not expect to see any sales/revenue recognized for the Semi until that dedicated Nevada facility is up and running at volume.

Consensus for the year on the S/3/X/Y lineup is continuing increased deliveries through to Q1 and 1.8m-2m total for the year, 10-13k being Cybertruck. So to move those increasing volumes, it would stand to reason that prices will need to head lower but with other factors to consider like the interest rate environment for the year (rate cuts would probably support higher prices) and changes to tax incentives / subsidies.

I just saw a White Model Y driven by a male in his early 30s on a Pittsburgh street with a oval car magnet with the message, "I love batteries, I don't like Musk, my next car will be a different EV". Seriously. I mean that is next level insecurity on display in my opinion to even have taken the time to make a custom car magnet to virtue signal their opinion.
The chap obviously has a well tuned moral compass.

Presumably he will be considering Volkswagens next..............................

The EV numbers both GM and Ford just put up for Q1 are shockingly embarrassing. Mach E sales especially should be scaring the hell out of any Ford investor
You aren't referring to the wide rollout of the Hummer are you?
Wall Street consensus was 1 delivery, they doubled that and had 2.
Bullish for GM???

Whats up with Model 3 LR? How come I don't see it in Tesla ordering page? Thought that should be the most popular one after Model Y LR.

3-LR uses the same number battery cells as the Y-LR but sells for about $5K less, based on ASP with options (you can't buy a 7-seater Model 3, or get a tow hitch in N.America). It makes sense to prioritize the high-margin deliveries. I do expect a revival of the 2170-based 3-SR+ if that's what it takes for U.S. customers to continue to benefit from IRA rebates, and at 2/3rds the size of an LR pack this is also an efficient use of 2170 cells.

I'd like to see an offer for a free 30-day trial of FSD beta to increase awareness, followed up with a 3-mth (or maybe 1-yr?) discount on an FSD software lease bundle. This is where the margins live.

i guess not at all surprising considering losses per unit disclosed by Ford ... the innovators dilemma is in full force now ... the high end ICE SUV and pickups are all that is left for OEMs ... hence they will redouble effort to their one or two profitable segments .... once these segments run dry ... bankruptcy is next step...this is going to be very difficult to make transition to EV ...
It is interesting to look at that Ford Q1 report. If, as we often state on this forum, there is no "EV market", only a "vehicle market", then Ford's growth of 10.1% year over year looks healthy. But I agree, digging into the details, they appear to be fleeing into the ultra-big, high-end products like the Bronco. One fears for their livelihood when Cybertruck is released or the next round of OPEC+ cuts crank US dino-juice prices up again.
That said, I find their E-transit vans growth percentage (67%) exciting, although the volume is tiny (some 1100 units).
Many have mentioned Ford's big EV factory push. Jury still out if they will make it as those complete, then ramp up to volumes worth discussing.

Jury in Tesla racial harassment case reduces damages by 98%

Now that's a nice way to put the nutshell in a header MarketWatch!
What really upsets me in this case is, there are hundreds of people who were wrongly incarcerated and later released after serving harsh sentence in a maximum security prison where prisoners are treated like dogs by both the authorities and by other incarcerated criminals. When they get acquitted and released after a few years or in some cases after a decade or two, they don't get awarded this much.

But this $135M the jury initially awarded for name calling is a huge travesty. All this after the company took action and fired the perpetrators.... and get this... the victim even encouraged his son to join Tesla. If he is so emotionally scared, would he recommend his son to join Tesla?

Ford sales. 10.8K sales of EV's. Interesting that Mach E was down 20% Y/Y. They say due to a plant shutdown but there is almost 1 quarter of inventory at 4.6K of vehicles. I think really hurt by the Model Y price reductions.

looking like hitting 150,000 run rate on the Lightning by year and is pretty unlikely as well.

Even accounting for shut downs Ford’s run rate is not significantly different from last year. they need more than six times last year’s production to hit that goal and they’ve made pretty much zero progress this quarter.

Last edited: