Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, it’s pointless arguing against people who are convinced Tesla can do no wrong and who will keep making excuses for it, so I won’t discuss this any further.

After saying you wouldn’t discuss it any further you posted 13 more times… I appreciate your tenacity and you’re allowed to push back against the bullish narrative, but I think more than enough has been said on UK inventory and pricing at the end of Q1, so let’s not restart this discussion in the morning. I hope you had a good night’s sleep, despite of going to bed at 3.45 AM :eek:

According to Troy, Tesla right now is starting the quarter in Europe with 10% of their total deliveries for the quarter and to end the wave requires Tesla to be at 33%. So what you see is 10%...so just a warning, teslas intention is 3x of this eventually in the future. This has nothing to do with "unable to sell cars"..and everything yo do with unwinding the wave. Before Tesla started with 0 cars and no show room cars leaving places like the UK with the first month delivery center employees twiddling their thumbs and shorties claim demand cliff.
Anecdotally, I looked through the Belgian inventory this morning and it's way down on what was showing a week ago, most of the M3's, of which there aren't many, are listed as being at direct delivery from the port, Zeebrugge

So yes, we do appear to be reaching a more steady-state, I suspect all these Tesla being sucked-up very quickly as company cars now, given that ICE effectively no longer an option here

Anecdotally, I looked through the Belgian inventory this morning and it's way down on what was showing a week ago, most of the M3's, of which there aren't many, are listed as being at direct delivery from the port, Zeebrugge

So yes, we do appear to be reaching a more steady-state, I suspect all these Tesla being sucked-up very quickly as company cars now, given that ICE effectively no longer an option here

I’m really curious what the effect is going to be of the ICE ban (tax-wise) in the coming months. I wouldn’t be surprised if Belgium would achieve a top-5 position in Europe (Currently 9th) by the end of the year.
In the TV news a representative from Febiac (the Belgian car manufacturer association) was proudly announcing much shorter delivery times, but that it is still wise to start shopping for a new car 4 to 6 months before you need it. Contrast this with Tesla’s availability within weeks.

I like Tesla’s timing of these new price drops. The stock market usually doesn’t react well to them but with a holiday and the weekend coming up, the negative impact on TSLA may be limited. The media will have a few days to move on to other, more shiny objects.
They need to do something with the SX pricing in Europe - if I were looking to buy now, I'd compare with the US prices and pass until they follow suit here

1680863286908.png
1680863340628.png

On theories behind UK sales issues (I'm in the UK). There are a few possibilities:
  • People were waiting for a solution to missing parking sensors (yes really, its a big deal here)
  • There are a lot more cheaper EVs here now, like the MG4. Maybe Tesla has saturated the premium EV market?
  • High electricity prices have put people off
  • Just a logistics issue. Maybe we haven't had the usual number of ships?
I suspect its a bit of all of these. I don't know how it compares to other countries, but a LOT of UK car owners do not have driveways or garages. We have a lot of street parking. That makes charging a real pain. This isn't so bad if electricity prices are low, but they certainly have not been. However, that might explain a drop in the EV market, but not a drop in Tesla's share.

Honestly, I think stuff like the MG4 and the Hyundai ioniq series are eating into Tesla sales here. I've had a friend buy an ioniq 5 and a neighbor grab an MG4. Both would happily swap them tomorrow for a Tesla at the same price, but its nowhere close. This isn't the land of epic road trips, but of short commuter trips. The number of people who need a long range model Y with insane 0-60 times is pretty low.

I'm not worried as a shareholder though, I expect a Highland/unboxed model 3 or the next model to sell like crazy here. We are just in the slight lull before a full Berlin expansion/ramp allows Tesla to provide a low-price option for the people who just want a city run-around car.

They need to do something with the SX pricing in Europe - if I were looking to buy now, I'd compare with the US prices and pass until they follow suit here

View attachment 925865View attachment 925866

In januari they also waited until 2 weeks after the end of quarter rush before lowering the prices. Apparently there’s some eu rule that customers can request the difference back within 2 weeks of delivery, so it makes sense to wait until the 2 weeks have passed before lowering the prices.

This should please the people who were against Elon borrowing against his shares. Course now that means he would need to sell in order to access that money.

“That 25% rule remains, but now Tesla has added a dollar amount limit of $3.5B, in additional to the 25% rule (whichever is lower).”

I like Tesla’s timing of these new price drops. The stock market usually doesn’t react well to them but with a holiday and the weekend coming up, the negative impact on TSLA may be limited. The media will have a few days to move on to other, more shiny objects.
I still remember people criticizing Tesla for not able to hit 35k with their Model 3 which lead to an off menu option, and now comes out with the pitch forks on margin collapse because a base Model 3 is 42k.

Last edited:

View attachment 925865View attachment 925866

People in Europe capable of buying such cars mostly understand prices in USA are before taxes and prices in EU are after taxes.

- $2k higher production cost as EU cars are physically different from USA cars and made in lower numbers
- $97k converts into €89k
- transportation from USA to EU costs around 3k per car: €89k => €92k
- EU demans 10% customs on cars: €92k => €101k
- VAT in EU countries is around 20%: $101k => €121k

I'm sure there are some additional costs not included above (national rules...) so €125k seems appropriate.

V11 isn’t perfect by any means but it is a step change for FSD. I’ve seen enough anecdotal footage plus the limited tracking data we do have is already showing quite a noticeable increase in miles driven per disengagement.

I do think the next 6 months will see dramatic improvements as data skyrockets.
I managed to have some time yesterday and the day before to put it through its paces for the first time since I got the update and my impression is very mixed. I enjoyed the highway driving, and I think it is mostly improved from the old stack, (though I had many more phantom braking events) but in regular city driving overall I would say it is a regression from prior versions. The one thing very improved is smoothness of lane changes, but overall I had more disengagements than before and the car was extremely jerky and hesitant on all turns, often stopping for no reason half way through turns, or in random places approaching lights

I'm not caught up on the thread, so maybe this was already discussed? But Tesla just added the 4680 Model Y to the design studio.

It means 4680 yields are high enough to support a cheaper MY for anybody who wants one. This is huge!!!!

But
I'm not caught up on the thread, so maybe this was already discussed? But Tesla just added the 4680 Model Y to the design studio.

It means 4680 yields are high enough to support a cheaper MY for anybody who wants one. This is huge!!!!

But the range is also less. That also helps get the price down

Reactions: Drumheller
I read plenty about Tesla lowering prices.

But I never seem to read anything about them raising prices. Hmmmmm.

Thanks to @