Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. If I were to buy a car today, without regards to environmental concerns, I'd rather get a well-used ICE, drive it for 2-3 years, and then buy a Tesla. During this time, I bet a new Tesla would be going down in value more than my used ICE would. Or if I really wanted an EV now, I'd get a used Tesla.

This is about the worst time to buy a new car. Teslas are still expensive, other EVs are crappy or unavailable, and ICE cars are on the way out.
Your approach may be a good one for many people but wanted to give a slightly different perspective. We recently bought a second EV (not a Tesla) and traded in our compact SUV (few years old but low mileage). On the trade we got pretty close to the MSRP when it was new. Part of my rationale for not waiting was that I figured that used car values may revert to more traditional levels; the trade-in value potentially could fall over the next 1-3 years, perhaps eliminating any saving on the price of a new EV over that period. As others have pointed out, it is also possible that ICE values will fall sharply due to the transition to EV's (in addition to a drop back to more typical used car values). Through this transition to EV's, I would rather be owning an EV than an ICE vehicle.

Through this transition to EV's, I would rather be owning an EV than an ICE vehicle.
An additional consideration is fuel savings depending on mileage driven, and on whether the EV can be charged with home solar,

Maintenance can also be expensive for an older ICE, particularly if things like timing belts or transmissions need replacing...

Good guess - there were 2 energy products under white sheets in the investor day presentation.

These might be;-
  1. A new Powerwall (LFP?)
  2. A domestic heat pump.
  3. An industrial heat storage battery?
The most likely product is a domestic heat pump.

The industrial heat storage battery fits the burnt hair slogan well, because it can provide heat at very high temps.

What about the Electrical panel?

Reactions: bkp_duke and MC3OZ
What about the Electrical panel?
That would be awesome! I was just researching this SPAN panel but obviously would rather get an integrated Tesla setup. We're buying a new full time home in May that's in need of solar, batteries, chargers, and probably a panel so I'm prettay prettay prettay excited about my Burnt Hair delivery.

Welp. Tom Zhu is rich now. lol

Form 3 just dropped.
wow.. he has almost 2 million shares equivalent with 70% of them fully owned or low strike call options (~$20). rest 30% are at 143. I dont remember anyone else getting so much equity, even Drew or Zach. Of course JB likely owns more, but he was a co-founder.

Looks like Elon really wanted Tom to stick around.

Your approach may be a good one for many people but wanted to give a slightly different perspective. We recently bought a second EV (not a Tesla) and traded in our compact SUV (few years old but low mileage). On the trade we got pretty close to the MSRP when it was new. Part of my rationale for not waiting was that I figured that used car values may revert to more traditional levels; the trade-in value potentially could fall over the next 1-3 years, perhaps eliminating any saving on the price of a new EV over that period. As others have pointed out, it is also possible that ICE values will fall sharply due to the transition to EV's (in addition to a drop back to more typical used car values). Through this transition to EV's, I would rather be owning an EV than an ICE vehicle.
Which EV did you end up getting, and was it not a Tesla because they don't offer the specs you need?

wow.. he has almost 2 million shares equivalent with 70% of them fully owned or low strike call options (~$20). rest 30% are at 143. I dont remember anyone else getting so much equity, even Drew or Zach. Of course JB likely owns more, but he was a co-founder.

Looks like Elon really wanted Tom to stick around.
Didn't Elon discovered that having people being too rich only results them quitting into early retirement?

Anyone have thoughts on what this could mean for DOJO? I would have thought this would have been a great opportunity for tesla to sell access to twitter rather than twitter buying a boatload of GPUs?

Dojo maxed out training for tesla? Or dojo not working well enough that musk has confidence that Twitter could make use of it?

Reactions: oldTAVguy
Anyone have thoughts on what this could mean for DOJO? I would have thought this would have been a great opportunity for tesla to sell access to twitter rather than twitter buying a boatload of GPUs?

Dojo maxed out training for tesla? Or dojo not working well enough that musk has confidence that Twitter could make use of it?
Dojo was built for FSD style data. It lost some genericness in the process. Also, Tw wants easy to support compute today. Tesla needs it's Dojos up and running before becoming a reseller.

Dojo was built for FSD style data. It lost some genericness in the process. Also, Tw wants easy to support compute today. Tesla needs it's Dojos up and running before becoming a reseller.
Pretty sure Dojo has been developed to be plug and play with ease. I recall something about musk bragging they plugged in some major public release of something 6 months back or something.

Reactions: MC3OZ
Enjoy the ID.4, its still an EV and you cleared one more ICE vehicle off the road!
We still have our 2018 Model 3 RWD for long distance travel; Superchargers are so much better than anything else. The ID.4 will primarily be for trips closer to home (and will provide some first hand experience with how the drivers of non-Tesla EV's deal with charging). 🙂