Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone post any article that gives the details around the China recall on 'regenerative braking' ?

Specifically the above article at the end claims that recall was because of 'sudden unintended acceleration', which I think is a total lie. I don't believe it is anything to do with SUI.

It's just the restoration of the low regenerative braking option.

I think the regulator concern was really just that people unfamiliar with strong regen might stomp on the pedal in response to surprise braking.

You guys have more than 440k shares? Wow!

“Mr Gerber’s firm held around 440,000 Tesla shares, or 0.01 per cent of the company, as of December 31, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.”

I did say ETF. Gerber is probably claiming the AUM of high margin mutual funds that he sells as his own.

And here’s the man himself buying his own product (because nobody else with a brain will?) 😂 :

Lol

[GOJO snipped]

ah, yeah.

Warn GOJO.png

So issues in the banking sector means rates dont need to go as high as previously thought now = bad for markets?

What Powell Has to Say on Credit Stress, Inflation and Interest Rates | www.bnnbloomberg.ca ( 3 hrs ago)

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
With so many different battery packs even in just Teslas, it is hard to keep track.. Would be nice if the charging characteristics would be shortly summarized for prospective buyers. Charging curve of new BYD pack for base Y from Berlin looks good:

Came here to post this

Awesome charging curve, maybe one of the best of every EV on the road

Assuming if you start at lower SOC it keeps the 172 kW, it’s maintaining 2.85 C up to 50%, and 10-50% should take 8,5 minutes

10-80% in 17 minutes, or the same as Hyundai group E-GMP cars, but that in a efficient vehicle instead of theirs

Make me wonder if by any change the new Model 3 LR with lower range could be using BYD packs, don’t think so if it’s just LFP, and no LFMP

But a charging curve like that on a Model 3 would make it better than the Model S LR road tripping wise

Agreed. I've long thought how cheap it would be for Tesla to add a low res camera under the dash, pointed at the pedals to make these false claims evaporate...but they seem to be doing just fine with the compliment of cameras and sensors and data that they currently have.

So... some 'upskirts' to fix Tesla libilities woes... alrighty then. :p

3etd8z.jpg

Elon was wrong when he said "ideas are cheap". This proves some ideas can be very expensive.

:p

Can someone post any article that gives the details around the China recall on 'regenerative braking' ?

Specifically the above article at the end claims that recall was because of 'sudden unintended acceleration', which I think is a total lie. I don't believe it is anything to do with SUI.
It is absolutely about unintended acceleration. (But it isn't about uncommanded acceleration.) Unintended acceleration is all about pedal misapplication.

What is happening is people are slowing down, and forgetting that their foot is on the accelerator. So when they need to stop they just press, which accelerates, they panic and press more. And appareantly can't figure out what is going on and take their foot off of the accelerator. So China is forcing Tesla to make two changes:

1. Add a "low regen" option, so that people don't get the feel that their foot is on the brakes when they are off the accelerator and letting the car slow down.
  2. An alert to notify the driver if they have the accelerator floored for a period of time. (i.e. "Hey dumbshit, you have the accelerator floored, don't you really want to press the brakes instead?")
Both items are about trying to help bad drivers avoid/mitigate unintended acceleration. (There seems to be a bunch of reports of it recently, even by taxi drivers.)

It is absolutely about unintended acceleration. (But it isn't about uncommanded acceleration.) Unintended acceleration is all about pedal misapplication.

What is happening is people are slowing down, and forgetting that their foot is on the accelerator. So when they need to stop they just press, which accelerates, they panic and press more. And appareantly can't figure out what is going on and take their foot off of the accelerator. So China is forcing Tesla to make two changes:

1. Add a "low regen" option, so that people don't get the feel that their foot is on the brakes when they are off the accelerator and letting the car slow down.
  2. An alert to notify the driver if they have the accelerator floored for a period of time. (i.e. "Hey dumbshit, you have the accelerator floored, don't you really want to press the brakes instead?")
Both items are about trying to help bad drivers avoid/mitigate unintended acceleration. (There seems to be a bunch of reports of it recently, even by taxi drivers.)
This is a good explanation, however it's just crazy to me how people actually put any thoughts into how to accelerate or brake a car. It should be embedded into muscle memory (especially for taxi drivers) and no one actually should be thinking about which pedal to press to do what. The scenario you are saying is totally plausible for a new driver no doubt. But it's really hard for me to imagine positioning my foot and leg on the accelerator to brake that will feel unnatural.

China is forcing Tesla to make two changes:

Think it would be wise to test if change #2 is working at all before implementing.
My guess it will not do any good.
A pressure sensitive sensor under the gas pedal with a high maximum level after which it will cut off power might work, though.
Something for a patent, Tesla?

Pressing hard on the wrong pedal a panic reaction, people will not listen to reason, a signal or whatever. They will press as hard as they can.
It's the same as a car with a clutch: when people accidentally press the brake in stead of the clutch, the car will come to a screeching halt with people's noses on the dashboard.
Been there, done that. :)

This helps set the context. But why is this an issue only with Tesla? Every EV has regen.

Remember the British accent dude saying muh efficiency and so on and on? Lucid who?

View attachment 939301

The Lucid is at a disadvantage because it was tested with winter tires. If you put similar tires on the Lucid it would probably have slightly better efficiency than then the Model S, at least at 120km/h. (The Model S Plaid, with winters tires, was only slightly less efficient than the Lucid, but it was tested in much colder weather.)

But yeah, it turns out while the Lucid is efficient, it isn't much better than the Tesla Model S. (However, it does have a ~25% larger battery, so it does have more range.) I would be more interested in the 1,000km challenge results, but I don't think he had the Lucid for long enough to do that. (Which depending on the charging station that was used would kill the Lucid time.)

The Lucid is at a disadvantage because it was tested with winter tires. If you put similar tires on the Lucid it would probably have slightly better efficiency than then the Model S, at least at 120km/h. (The Model S Plaid, with winters tires, was only slightly less efficient than the Lucid, but it was tested in much colder weather.)
Yeah, I'm being cheeky

They are really close, but while Lucid has the winter tires disadvantage, Plaid has the fat tires disadvantage

A good test would be same tires of same width and rim size on both, I bet Tesla comes out ahead, but will be interesting to see Bjorn to test the Lucid again, if they are still around by then lol

I would send a cash donation to Tesla if they add a software update that says this word for word.

Think it would be wise to test if change #2 is working at all before implementing.
My guess it will not do any good.
A pressure sensitive sensor under the gas pedal with a high maximum level after which it will cut off power might work, though.
Something for a patent, Tesla?

Pressing hard on the wrong pedal a panic reaction, people will not listen to reason, a signal or whatever. They will press as hard as they can.
It's the same as a car with a clutch: when people accidentally press the brake in stead of the clutch, the car will come to a screeching halt with people's noses on the dashboard.
Been there, done that. :)
I had this once during the first week of ownership. Fortunately, I was first in line at the stoplight, and I didn't press very hard, so only went a metre or so. I thought "So this is what pedal confusion is like". Hasn't happened since.

Reactions: CarlS and AZRI11
This helps set the context. But why is this an issue only with Tesla? Every EV has regen.
It's an issue with every car manufacture as humans are morons. However everyone loves to talk about Tesla while hiding the rest of the auto industry. Also lets not forget that most of the EVs sold in China are slow with low range. Perhaps when the car is going 0-60 in 10 seconds, people are not panicing as much.

There are estimated to be 16000 cases of mis-pedal application per year in the US (source is from 2015, pretty much pre-dates EVs).