Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swear sometimes I regret trying to explain Tesla stuff to people

On a post about VW working on DBE technology to be manufactured, me and others say Tesla is using it already using it and it's on customers hands, gets downvoted

"wHaT iS yoUR sOurCe"

Post Munro video taking the pack apart and showing the cells, Jordan and UC San Diego tearing the cell apart, analyzing it and sharing the results, gets downvoted again

"tHEse arEn't ReLIAblE sOUrces, mUnro iS a tEsLa ShiLL"

Posts earnings calls transcripts of Elon and Drew talking about DBE, about them being on cathode and anode on Giga Texas, downvoted

"yOU nEED tO poST wrITTen arTicles fRom reLIaBle souRces"

I hate people usually and always hate that I argue with them

On a post about VW working on DBE technology to be manufactured, me and others say Tesla is using it already using it and it's on customers hands, gets downvoted

"wHaT iS yoUR sOurCe"

Post Munro video taking the pack apart and showing the cells, Jordan and UC San Diego tearing the cell apart, analyzing it and sharing the results, gets downvoted again

Posts earnings calls transcripts of Elon and Drew talking about DBE, about them being on cathode and anode on Giga Texas, downvoted

They dragged you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

"wHaT iS yoUR sOurCe"

I had a similar discussion with a nurse this morning who said Tesla's are a bad purchase because the replacement batteries cost $8,000! When I told her that you would never need to replace the battery, there is a 100,000 mile warranty on them, and there are many 2012 and later Tesla's that have experienced minimal battery degradation, she angrily said "Well that's not what I read!"

I hope that any advertising Tesla eventually does deals mostly with dispelling all the false and misleading information about Tesla's and all BEV's in a objective and provable manner. Once people get past the misconceptions and after a test drive, Tesla's will sell themselves.

Press release:

They say NACS still has to become an official standard, which fits with Jon MNeill saying that´s needed for federal funding in the video posted above

SACRAMENTO, CA - In an effort to help EV ecosystem participants, including Charging Interface Initiative (CharIN) members and non-members understand recent developments, CharIN would like to clarify the following points:

CharIN Stands Behind CCS and MCS, but also supports the standardization of Tesla NACS

• CharIN is the largest global association focused on the electrification of all forms of transportation and supported by our over 320 members.
  • Some of our CharIN North America members are interested in adopting the North America Charging Standard (NACS) form factor.
  • NACS is not yet a standard and does not provide an open charging ecosystem for industry to build upon.
  • For any technology to become a standard it must go through a due process in a standards development organization (e.g., ISO, IEC, IEEE, SAE, ANSI). Such a process is collaborative and enables all interested parties to contribute their ideas.

Customers and the EV industry need trustworthy open charging standards to ensure confidence in the availability, reliability, safety, and adaptability of the standard over time. NACS should be submitted to standards bodies to unify the charging standards market in North America.
CharIN is pleased that NACS is using DIN 70121 and ISO 15118 protocols based on power line communication (PLC) enabling CCS functionality. These protocols were created for CCS but are versatile communication standards that could help build bridges across all charging standards in North America. These standards are also deeply rooted in CharIN membership and activities.
Like the process for the Megawatt Charging System, CharIN will work to convene an open task force to align requirements with the goal of submitting NACS to the standardization process. An open standardization process ensures proper peer review of the technology and the ability of all interested parties to contribute to the development of this standard.

Press release:

They say NACS still has to become an official standard, which fits with Jon MNeill saying that´s needed for federal funding in the video posted above

My read - they want to get their grubby hands on it and become the governing body for it. They are completely threatened that Tesla has made CharIN 100% obsolete.

I would love to see more consumer NACS parts. I had to modify my Wall Connector with a J1772 plug, because I needed a 40ft cable and there was no NACS plug that would fit the larger cable diameter needed for that length.
That will come, as just about every charger maker has said they will support NACS. I think Lectron has said NACS connectors are going to be available from them soon.

"wHaT iS yoUR sOurCe"

Often it is better to respond with a question, such as...

Other than the actual manufacturer of the product you don't believe exists, and, a company that makes it's living tearing down all makes and models of cars to sell their research to third parties, which, specifically, would be a more reliable source?​

I had a similar discussion with a nurse this morning who said Tesla's are a bad purchase because the replacement batteries cost $8,000! When I told her that you would never need to replace the battery, there is a 100,000 mile warranty on them, and there are many 2012 and later Tesla's that have experienced minimal battery degradation, she angrily said "Well that's not what I read!"

I hope that any advertising Tesla eventually does deals mostly with dispelling all the false and misleading information about Tesla's and all BEV's in a objective and provable manner. Once people get past the misconceptions and after a test drive, Tesla's will sell themselves.
Knowledge is power

"wHaT iS yoUR sOurCe"

THe idea that Volkswagen, the company behind dieselgate, proven liars and fraudsters, are somehow to be given the benefit of the doubt regarding absolutely anything at all, but tesla should not be trusted is.... pretty clear evidence that those posters are in a cult of denial.

I think Tesla's strategy is threefold:

1. Speed up the consumer transition to EV by enabling other automakers to use their charging network, thereby defeating the number one competitor - consumer inertia. With the help from competitors, which comprise of both legacy automakers and other charging networks, Tesla will be able to change consumer habits more quickly.
2. Use their lead in manufacturing and technology to create a competitive advantage against other automakers that produce EV, to sell more cars. Since Tesla is years ahead, they'll be able to produce cars for lower costs and higher efficiency, and with the EV market and charging infrastructure expanding quickly, they'll have way more customers. Big fish in a big pond.
3. Use the cars as a platform to sell software - it is therefore critical that Tesla produce and sell as many cars and as quickly as possible. Parts 1 and 2 are prerequisite for this.

They won't be using the supercharging network as a competitive advantage or significant profit driver, because Tesla's real competition is against ICEs and gas stations, not other EVs, and there's so much more money in selling hardware and software. I don't expect Tesla to charge legacy automakers to use the Supercharger network, because they need them to help speed up the transition and complete the first part of the strategy.
I'm having a terrible time understanding how Ford and GM are going to survive long enough to make any difference.

The Electric Viking just had a good video on how the order backlog for the Lightning is collapsing. The Mach-E is also failing. Sandy Munro is talking about the Kubler-Ross five stages of grief. (I once had a CEO tell a big group of employees "don't buy a house." Remarkably, most who attended didn't understand what he was telling us.)

A hundred years ago oblivious ocean liner captains watched as the first trans-Atlantic planes flew overhead. This all seems to just be getting obviouser and obviouser.

Regarding the SC network: we're the low cost producer of the superior product with the best network. The only missing piece was some of our future customers not having easy access. How does this not end in us being a near monopoly? Imagine being the CEO of one of our competitors looking for new capital. Would you want to invest in it?