Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of the life cycle comparisons that I have seen between BEV and ICE take into account the transportation of petrol to their retail pumping stations for use. In Philadelphia, the collapsed section of I-95 due to tanker fire is just the latest example of what can go wrong transporting petrol. If only there was a better way. Oh, wait...

None of the life cycle comparisons that I have seen between BEV and ICE take into account the transportation of petrol to their retail pumping stations for use. In Philadelphia, the collapsed section of I-95 due to tanker fire is just the latest example of what can go wrong transporting petrol. If only there was a better way. Oh, wait...

Exactly. And all those doing "lifecycle" costs on BEVs and trying to say that they cost more over their life conveniently leave out some or all of the costs of fuel extraction (oil drilling and transportation) for ICE cars, but make an effort to point those the costs for lithium, rare earth, nickel, etc. mining and transportation costs.

Haha - after 11 consecutive days up, the MaxPain chart for this week is all over the map (technically, it's $185. Really??). I know, it's early in the week still, but wouldn't it be great if, for once, market manipulators were disqualified from affecting TSLA??

Cue @Krugerrand with a sour "Fat chance of that".

1686581791380.png

I think Tesla's strategy is threefold:

1. Speed up the consumer transition to EV by enabling other automakers to use their charging network, thereby defeating the number one competitor - consumer inertia. With the help from competitors, which comprise of both legacy automakers and other charging networks, Tesla will be able to change consumer habits more quickly.
2. Use their lead in manufacturing and technology to create a competitive advantage against other automakers that produce EV, to sell more cars. Since Tesla is years ahead, they'll be able to produce cars for lower costs and higher efficiency, and with the EV market and charging infrastructure expanding quickly, they'll have way more customers. Big fish in a big pond.
3. Use the cars as a platform to sell software - it is therefore critical that Tesla produce and sell as many cars and as quickly as possible. Parts 1 and 2 are prerequisite for this.

They won't be using the supercharging network as a competitive advantage or significant profit driver, because Tesla's real competition is against ICEs and gas stations, not other EVs, and there's so much more money in selling hardware and software. I don't expect Tesla to charge legacy automakers to use the Supercharger network, because they need them to help speed up the transition and complete the first part of the strategy.

Um, perhaps but I don’t think so. Maybe one was. Maybe a second was *contemplating*. But, nah. *This* is all too quick and too ‘coincidental’ in timing.

Additionally, it’s all simply ‘announcements’. We’ll see what happens over the next 6-9 months, but I won’t be holding my breath.

If you’re correct and everyone has been working on this in the background ‘for the past year’, I’d expect to see the new NACS begin to show up at these company’s locales like now. Indeed, they should have been showing up already.

Or are you saying they’d all formed committees to discuss forming a committee to talk about a committee to transition to NACS?
Yeah looks like Blink just did a last minute (sloppy) photoshop from what they announced at CES in January. It was probably going to be 2 CCS plugs at first. "Just shrink the CCS image for the NACS, no one will notice".

IMG_4986.jpeg
IMG_4987.jpeg

Haha - after 11 consecutive days up, the MaxPain chart for this week is all over the map (technically, it's $185. Really??). I know, it's early in the week still, but wouldn't it be great if, for once, market manipulators were disqualified from affecting TSLA??

Cue @Krugerrand with a sour "Fat chance of that".

View attachment 946174

It's quad witching, max pain is always weird when you've got lots of long-term options expiring.

I think almost all of the major charging equipment vendors have made announcements:
  • ABB
  • AmpUp
  • Autel
  • Blink
  • ChargePoint
  • EverCharge
  • EVgo
  • EVPassport
  • FLO
  • FreeWire
  • i-charging
  • Kempower
  • Tritum
  • Wallbox
  • XCharge
Who I don't see having announced NACS support yet:
  • SK Signet
  • BTC
  • Delta
SK Signet and BTC are currently the main suppliers for Electrify America.

Last edited:
I think almost all of the major charging equipment vendors have made announcements:
  • ABB
  • AmpUp
  • Autel
  • Blink
  • ChargePoint
  • EverCharge
  • EVgo
  • EVPassport
  • FLO
  • FreeWire
  • i-charging
  • Kempower
  • Tritum
  • Wallbox
  • XCharge
Who I don't see having announce NACS support yet:
  • SK Signet
  • BTC
  • Delta
SK Signet and BTC are currently the main suppliers for Electrify America.
It’s probably cheaper maintenance for them as well. CCS more likely to break.

Giga Mexico might be quicker than expected according to governor, permit should be granted in 10-15 weeks, first cars likely next year:
based on