Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oregon just abolished that law. It's now just NJ alone.
Same here in Mexico. It took us about 15 minutes to wait in line and have an attendant to top off our rental car with 10 litres today! And we couldn’t get out to stretch legs or pee.

Also the Alamo rep here in Loreto says the Teslas are coming; that they already have them in most of the big and touristy cities.

IMG_2812.jpeg

Sorry. Wrong picture.

Last edited:
Joe Tegtmeyer reporting on Twitter that Giga Texas is likely going to pause for retooling. Ultimately increasing model y output after the retooling.

My speculation: Tesla is going to move model Y production from Fremont to Texas. Would coincide with reports of them demolishing the ga4 line at Fremont (which produces Y and not 3 from my understanding.) people have speculated previously that the demo would be related to Highland 3 but that wouldn’t have made sense if it was ga4 getting shut down.

Oregon just abolished that law. It's now just NJ alone.
They didn't really abolish it, they just modified it. The law will still require attendants to cover half of the open pumps, while the other half can be self-serve. (They can't charge more for the staffed pumps, so you don't even get a discount for pumping it yourself.) But I don't think it requires any gas stations to stop having attendants, and if they have to have them for half, they can just keep them for all. We will see what actually happens.

It hasn't been signed by the Governor yet, though I don't expect them to veto it.

They didn't really abolish it, they just modified it. The law will still require attendants to cover half of the open pumps, while the other half can be self-serve. (They can't charge more for the staffed pumps, so you don't even get a discount for pumping it yourself.) But I don't think it requires any gas stations to stop having attendants, and if they have to have them for half, they can just keep them for all. We will see what actually happens.

It hasn't been signed by the Governor yet, though I don't expect them to veto it.

I thought the push for the unattended pumps was that the stations were having problems hiring enough attendants. No one wanted the job.

Reactions: petit_bateau
To be fair, if you're counting the time to exit the interstate and get to/from the gas station, then that ought to be included in the supercharger time as well.

But, that really makes it a much more fair comparision and the real difference in the time involved gets smaller. Instead of comparing a "5-minute fillup" to a "20-30 minute charge" you're instead comparing the total time for each vehicle to get to/from the interstate...and the electric car gets a couple items on the schedule "for free."

For a gas car: the 20 minutes might include from the time you exit the interstate, get to the gas station, get to the pump, activate the pump, wait a few minutes for the gas to fill, detach, park somewhere else (unless you're rude), go inside to hit bathroom/get snack, get back to car, and back to interstate. ADd more time if you're one of those that goes inside to activate the pump, then again to go inside and pay before moving the car.

For the electric car, you don't need to move the vehicle, and you can do the bathroom/snack while the charging happens. And, at a supercharger station, no need to spend that extra minute paying at the pump...and no electric car driver ever needs to "go inside" to activate the pump and/or pay. So that 20-30 minute charge only gets the driving time to/from the interstate added on.

So, a real pit-stop comparison time might be 20 minutes for the gas car and 25-35 minutes for the electric car...which is much more similar than the famed "5 minutes vs. 30 minutes" comparison.

Of course, there are a few folks who claim they manage to never leave the vicinity of the vehicle to even stretch their legs, so their gas-car pit stop could be shorter...but those people might want to consult with their doctor about the health risks associated with sitting in a car for 10 hours, and only exiting for seconds at a time to activate a gas pump. If the only goal is to "make good time," with no concern for health or comfort or safety or looking at something interesting, then for these people a gas car is still probably the "right" choice.

IMG_5092.jpg

This study may not be completely analogous because it used fleet vehicles, not clear what percentage would be tractor trailers (so might not be able to use every corner gas station), but you get the idea. Of course the argument doesn't include all the time EVs "save" when charging at home compared to ICE.

Last edited:
I liked this image today from Yahoo Finance channel.
Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 7.51.22 PM.png

I'm thinking Tesla is going to need a much bigger umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh

Also, how will China, Europe, Australia and the ROW come to terms with their inferior charging standard. It is only a matter of time before those dominos start to fall "Comin' down like Dow Jones".

Tesla's new Marketing Department should hire Rihanna holding up a Tesla umbrella singing "You can stand under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh".

EDIT: Sorry for the lyrics, but all this talk of gas pumps was making me nauseous.

To be fair, if you're counting the time to exit the interstate and get to/from the gas station, then that ought to be included in the supercharger time as well.

But, that really makes it a much more fair comparision and the real difference in the time involved gets smaller. Instead of comparing a "5-minute fillup" to a "20-30 minute charge" you're instead comparing the total time for each vehicle to get to/from the interstate...and the electric car gets a couple items on the schedule "for free."

For a gas car: the 20 minutes might include from the time you exit the interstate, get to the gas station, get to the pump, activate the pump, wait a few minutes for the gas to fill, detach, park somewhere else (unless you're rude), go inside to hit bathroom/get snack, get back to car, and back to interstate. ADd more time if you're one of those that goes inside to activate the pump, then again to go inside and pay before moving the car.

For the electric car, you don't need to move the vehicle, and you can do the bathroom/snack while the charging happens. And, at a supercharger station, no need to spend that extra minute paying at the pump...and no electric car driver ever needs to "go inside" to activate the pump and/or pay. So that 20-30 minute charge only gets the driving time to/from the interstate added on.

So, a real pit-stop comparison time might be 20 minutes for the gas car and 25-35 minutes for the electric car...which is much more similar than the famed "5 minutes vs. 30 minutes" comparison.

Of course, there are a few folks who claim they manage to never leave the vicinity of the vehicle to even stretch their legs, so their gas-car pit stop could be shorter...but those people might want to consult with their doctor about the health risks associated with sitting in a car for 10 hours, and only exiting for seconds at a time to activate a gas pump. If the only goal is to "make good time," with no concern for health or comfort or safety or looking at something interesting, then for these people a gas car is still probably the "right" choice.

When I've traveled with my wife in our ICEV/HEV/PHEV one of us would fill up while the other went inside so a gas station stop wouldn't be the sequential operation you describe.

On the other hand we have had an overall half hour diversion when my wife was waiting in line to get a coffee.

• Funny
Reactions: EQC_ and wipster
I liked this image today from Yahoo Finance channel.
View attachment 951631
I'm thinking Tesla is going to need a much bigger umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh

Also, how will China, Europe, Australia and the ROW come to terms with their inferior charging standard. It is only a matter of time before those dominos start to fall "Comin' down like Dow Jones".

Tesla's new Marketing Department should hire Rihanna holding up a Tesla umbrella singing "You can stand under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh eh".

CCS Type 2's fine. There are charging networks that work well.

The CCS2 connectors is big but it doesn't have the problems that the CCS1 connector has. And Tesla has already opened most of the Supercharger network there to everyone.

It is possible that the European engineers don't have any idea how bad CCS1 is here. Both the connector and the CPOs.

Bullish sign?

All 23 banks survive Fed's 2023 stress test​

Producing evidence that the banks could handily survive a severe global recession because they just have that much spare cash floating around was I believe the last step before easing monetary policy

Joe Tegtmeyer reporting on Twitter that Giga Texas is likely going to pause for retooling. Ultimately increasing model y output after the retooling.

My speculation: Tesla is going to move model Y production from Fremont to Texas. Would coincide with reports of them demolishing the ga4 line at Fremont (which produces Y and not 3 from my understanding.) people have speculated previously that the demo would be related to Highland 3 but that wouldn’t have made sense if it was ga4 getting shut down.

Not sure I see the logic in shutting down a 5k+ a week model Y line in Fremont, when they are already ramping model Y production in texas as fast as they possibly can…?

Would coincide with reports of them demolishing the ga4 line at Fremont (which produces Y and not 3 from my understanding.)

They were hiring for a position on the GA4 line as recently as 1 month ago?

I think GA4 might produce Model 3... A more recent job posting (1 week ago) did say Model Y, perhaps this has changed.

Do we have a flyover video confirming that it is gone?

With the Highland process apparently taking 25% less time to build a Model 3 and with some possible space savings, it is possible that GA3 can now build all of the Model 3s required?

Or perhaps GA4 is being rebuilt or moved?

Last edited:
Reactions: ShareLofty

To be truly fair, they need to average the amount of time it takes to charge BEV's including all the times they don't need to be charged at a Supercharger or other spots because they were charged at home! Many, if not most, people don't even realize you can do that just by plugging in to a regular 110V outlet (obviously quicker on 220). Imagine not having to fill your ICE at home... only if you own a gas station and live there (and hope the nozzle shuts off when it's full).

I mean if you're going to do a comparison, the charge at home capability has to be included. Big sales point right there IMHO, especially if you've had the nozzle spill fuel on your suit on the way to work!

To be truly fair, they need to average the amount of time it takes to charge BEV's including all the times they don't need to be charged at a Supercharger or other spots because they were charged at home! Many, if not most, people don't even realize you can do that just by plugging in to a regular 110V outlet (obviously quicker on 220). Imagine not having to fill your ICE at home... only if you own a gas station and live there (and hope the nozzle shuts off when it's full).

I mean if you're going to do a comparison, the charge at home capability has to be included. Big sales point right there IMHO, especially if you've had the nozzle spill fuel on your suit on the way to work!

Yah...I was going for ONLY the road trip argument, where those few vocal weirdos talk about their mythical 1000 mile trips with the fewest and shortest possible gas stops.

On the subject of the normal commute timing to refill the tank/battery: oh man I really benefit from that on my Model Y!

My previous car (Honda Fit...really a very good and useful economy car) had a small tank, and my commute takes me into the boonies with no gas stations within about 30 miles of my work, on a 60+ mile drive each way. For the first few years, I'd fill up at that 30 mile point...gas station in a small desert town, right on my driving path. But eventually that station's prices went up, pumps were often broken, and panhandlers and scammers were frequently there. So, I shifted to getting gas closer to home....but these stations required a few miles of driving out of my way, and since I needed 120+ miles of gas in the tank every morning, I had to fill up every two days. The Fit's 10.8 gallon tank wouldn't do 3 full days comfortably. So, every two days I was probably adding 15 minutes or more to my commute. And of course, every once in a while there was a line or broken pumps to deal with, making things take even longer.

Now, I've got the Y...and a plug in my garage...and for my unique situation, the time savings is huge.

And, now my commute car (7 seat Y) can hold the whole family when needed (wife, 4 kids, dog) for some of our trips, has all wheel drive for snow, and the "fuel" cost per mile is about half of what the Fit cost averaging 36mpg...and even better when we can take the Y instead of the van.

Last edited: