Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1698768967163.png

Guess the Motley Fool will be right in 1 article for once.

Increasing auto and energy to a point where share price exceeds 415 will take way longer than FSD.

Yeah, but it will happen given time. I'd say if FSD doesn't come around anytime soon, we'll hit our ATH in 2 to 3 years after the compact is in production and megapacks are about 1/3 to 1/2 of annual revenues. Sometime in either late 2025 or 2026 is my hunch when we'll see $415 again.

I know this is too conservative an outlook for many here, but given Tesla's current margins, price cut strategies, and the economy, I feel it's realistic.

It appears that we all dropped the conversational ball on what was (to me) the most interesting part of the Hertz announcement a couple days ago: they have documented maintenance costs on their Tesla fleet at higher what they expect from their ICE fleet. (If I got that wrong from memory of earlier posts, please correct).

Apologies from quoting "CNBS", but they are quoting a third party - hopefully reliably...
Hertz pulls back on EV plans citing Tesla price cuts, high repair costs

This goes against previous studies of EV (corporate) fleets, and goes against a very large assumption (and experience?) from most of us: EVs are way cheaper per mile. This is still a huge part of the reasoning EVs are better: higher upfront for now, but cheaper over 5+ years.

Is the discrepancy the weight, as hinted at above? The way people treat rentals (i.e. poorly)? Is it the oft-reported fact that repairs on our Teslas are pricier than one might reasonably expect? Is it the Gigacastings getting damaged? We cannot dismiss Hertz' findings out of hand, and as investors, might be fruitful to explore.

It just seems to me we blew past that to start complaining about the stock price daily movements again. (In that vein, I may have found a new couch, finally, and perhaps at an opportune moment for once!)
But what about Tesla's accident-avoidance (lane keeping, etc. - and its longer term accident avoidance that should save lives and liability costs? Have those benefits just not had enough time to show up in their costs? Those things might only show up as lowered insurance costs; But Insurance per car just isn't that huge a cost.

I think in general people treat cars that aren't theirs worse.

I drive at least a rental a week and all the 23 models have scratches, broken interiors, etc.
Do I smell sabotage by anti-Tesla folks? I sure wouldn't out it past the lying Fossil fuel folks.

Similar experience. 2018 Model 3 with 140k km's on the same 2 sets of summer/winter tires. So about 70k each and they still have 20-30% tread remaining.
So on my 2013 S with adjustable suspension, when in "Low" (which the car can be set to lower to at speed), the camber on the tires, particularly the rear, is such that it really wears the inside edge of the tire.

I can have 50% life on most of the width of my contact patch, and showing steel cords on the inner 3/4".

Between that and the relatively soft compound on many tires likely to be installed on cars with this much torque, you could go through tires every 25K or so.

The camber issue was addressed on later cars. I've gotten to the point where, when I rotate tires, I'll have them swapped on the rims from left to right, to even out the wear some... It allows me to get more like 45K on a set.

Last edited:
Do we have any actual insight into how Tesla compares to others in regards to line workers compensation? It's not just a question of their comparative salaries / hourly rates, since stock options for example may or may not effectively increase the attractiveness of a job at Tesla vs other makes. After all, as even if stock options were always effectively making Tesla employees more compensated overall, some percentage of workers probably would prefer increased paychecks now to stock options for later - the question is how many, and is it in any way significant?
I think you have presented an important point with respect to how one correctly envision the relationship between the company and its employees, which then leads to a good understanding of the difference between Tesla and the rest of the automotive world.

As I formulated my investment rationale, it occurred to me that the very steps of each employees’ hiring procedure included an invaluable filtering mechanism: the extent to which is more important: (A) higher paycheck now (= jam today) or (B) stock options (= more jam tomorrow) determines the extent to which the company and the interviewee may make a good match.

To me, this suggests a far better alignment of interests, whereupon a more productive and stable workforce develops.

So on my 2013 S with adjustable suspension, when in "Low" (which the car can be set to lower to at speed), the camber on the tires, particularly the rear, is such that it really wears the inside edge of the tire.

I can have 50% life on most of the width of my contact patch, and showing steel cords in on the inner 3/4".

Between that and the relatively soft compound on many tires likely to be installed on cars with this much torque, you could go through tires every 25K or so.

The camber issue was addressed on later cars. I've gotten to the point where, when I rotate tires, I'll have them swapped on the rims from left to right, to even out the wear some... It allows me to get more like 45K on a set.
So I should stop buying tire company stocks?

Mod, please remove this post and the tire talk from the investing thread, it isn't even the weekend.

That is one. Not auto, which you are showing. As for busses and ‘small peanuts’ those busses can and do act in a role similar to the original Tesla Model S, but with wider political value in large influential cities. The Mercosur view is that Santiago de Chile being home to the world’s largest BEV bus fleet (BYD, by the way) and subsequent enthusiasm led directly to the recent Tesla decision to enter the Chile market as the first in South America.

As well as dismissing the BYD international strategy one makes a closely analogous mistake of ignoring Tesla Energy. They are different, and I would not care to invest in BYD. I definitely would not make the regular Wall Street mistake of viewing both as simply car companies.
Not dismissing anything. The discussion was regarding BYD's auto gross margins, which are now slightly higher than Tesla's. My point is that one significant factor that needs to be considered is the fact that, since almost all BYD auto production is in China (buses are a small contributor to the overall margin calculation), where labor costs are very low, and since almost all BYD autos are sold in China, their production and logistics costs are inherently going to be lower than Tesla which produces significant percentages of their cars in NA and Europe and ships to many more countries than BYD does.

View attachment 986753

Guess the Motley Fool will be right in 1 article for once.
On their daily podcast someone wrote in and asked about this. Their first answer was "we should do better" and then they followed it up immediately with "this is how it should be done to get all points of view" I've noticed I skip a lot more of their segments these days as it seems more and more like they are just doing it for the eyeballs (or ear holes?) and not presenting good investment analysis anymore.

As part of my investing strategy/learning I like to go back and listed to old financial podcasts and see what people got right and what they got wrong, it is a very eye opening exercise.

I always assumed that if I wrecked my rental car, that I would be paying for the repair, not the rental company.
That all depends if you use your own insurance or purchase the one that the rental company offers. For me, when i rent, if it is an expensive SUV, i just go ahead and purchase the insurance offered by the rental company. Small piece of mind if anything happens.