Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery rate in CTO.

BTW, your tone feelz combative… not looking for a fight.
Fair enough.
It just seems too early to call a new vehicle ramp "slow" when we are only a month into it.
Was asking if there might be comparative analysis to other ramps at a month in that would support the assertion.

TBH, this list appears to be a mixed bag, IMHO.
1. Stock buyback should definitely be started, but for the next few years at least it should be capped at repurchasing exactly the # of shares each year needed to offset dilution due to employee stock awards, etc. From an investor perspective, it helps drive home showing Tesla's actual cost of labor, including the impact of stock awards.
2. Strongly disagree with.
3. Neutral - there are benefits to stopping the price cuts, there are benefits to continuing them.
4. Neutral - sharing more information is always greatly appreciated, but I don't think it'll affect the course of Tesla or TSLA.
5. Strongly agree with the first half of the sentence, and I *hope* for the second half of the sentence but that is, of course, entirely his decision, not something for the board or us investors, for any existing holdings he has.
6. Strongly disagree with.
7 & 8. Strongly agree with.
9 & 10. Strongly disagree with.

Fair enough.
It just seems too early to call a new vehicle ramp "slow" when we are only a month into it.
Was asking if there might be comparative analysis to other ramps at a month in that would support the assertion.
The line started before the November event. I think it was the 2nd week of November.

It's pointed out in here so often, because it's not possible to make 125k CTs this year like some are using in their estimates. They would have had to start week 1 at the full rate, which we are still a ways off from getting to.

Last edited:
The line started before the November event. I think it was the 2nd week of November.

I think I was there, now that you mention it. So let's call it being roughly two months in.

Same question. What have previous ramps produced for other Tesla models at the two to three month mark?

Are the "CT ramp is slow" statements ones that are derived by analysis, or merely opinion?

Reactions: Krugerrand
IIRC the main differences between gen 1 and gen 2 4680 are in the design of the can. Mass has been removed by using thinner steel, and less”dead space” above the jelly roll. The reduced mass is what increased the specific energy. If I am correct, then the gen 2 cell should have the same Wh of energy capacity, but higher Wh/kg.

GSP

It's both, higher energy density due to lower non active mass and higher energy due to wider jelly roll

I think I was there, now that you mention it. So let's call it being roughly two months in.

Same question. What have previous ramps produced for other Tesla models at the two to three month mark?

Are the "CT ramp is slow" statement one that is derived by analysis, or merely opinion?
Again, it's Teslas stance on the ramp. It will be a slow growth to full run rate, which may not even be achieved this year. It doesn't get exponentially faster like we see with the MY (Berlin/Austin/China) or even the MY AWD for recent ramps.

Joe T says current rate is 100 a day on one of his videos. He is somewhat plugged in so may be close.
Over at CTO forum they are tracking VIN registrations. Doesn’t look like 100 a day. Looks like some 30 or 40 a day. Hit 60s in the last couple.

C3A6677D-D83D-4091-B908-952F2D734D04.png

Again, it's Teslas stance on the ramp. It will be a slow growth to full run rate, which may not even be achieved this year. It doesn't get exponentially faster like we see with the MY or even the MY AWD for recent ramps.
Tesla needed 3 to ramp quickly because those were the source of income. Once the lines were started, the expenses cranked up and Tesla was losing money. Y ramped quickly due to the learnings and carry over from 3. Shanghai ramped quickly because it was a tweaked copy paste.
Cybertruck isn't a bet the company vehicle. Tesla saying the ramp will be slow is setting expectations for how they are approaching it. Contrast that to some people's implication/ interpretation that 'the ramp is slow[er than Tesla planned]'
They don't need to rush and they aren't.

Tesla needed 3 to ramp quickly because those were the source of income. Once the lines were started, the expenses cranked up and Tesla was losing money. Y ramped quickly due to the learnings and carry over from 3. Shanghai ramped quickly because it was a tweaked copy paste.
Cybertruck isn't a bet the company vehicle. Tesla saying the ramp will be slow is setting expectations for how they are approaching it. Contrast that to some people's implication/ interpretation that 'the ramp is slow[er than Tesla planned]'
They don't need to rush and they aren't.
Right. Tesla is planning on this to be slow and always has. Elon has been saying it for 2 years and people say things like he's sandbagging or that they could make 125k this year...which is absolutely impossible. They would have needed to hit full run rate day 1.

Right. Tesla is planning on this to be slow and always has. Elon has been saying it for 2 years and people say things like he's sandbagging or that they could make 125k this year...which is absolutely impossible. They would have needed to hit full run rate day 1.

What is important is that they exit q4 at the full rate. That should be doable.

Reactions: tracksyde and mongo
Again, it's Teslas stance on the ramp. It will be a slow growth to full run rate, which may not even be achieved this year. It doesn't get exponentially faster like we see with the MY (Berlin/Austin/China) or even the MY AWD for recent ramps.

Opinion then. (even if it is Elon's opinion) Nothing quantifiable by comparison to other ramps. Got it.

Do you know what the output was at two months in for those recent ramps cited above?

Edit: Removed VIN question, as it was answered above.

Reactions: SOULPEDL