Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said they are currently limited by training computing resources. So if they think that with the given compute they could for example make city streets 50% better and leave highway the same (on the old FSD 11 stack) OR make city 25 % better and highway 10% (because it was already better than city and additional improvements need non-linearly more compute), maybe they chose to split stacks again for now until they have more computing resources.

Confirmed by teslascope who talked to developers they say:

NO.
Geofencing is RIDICULOUS. What is the benefit of geofencing? That you can use really HD maps? Great, they are absolutely awesome for the 12 milliseconds after your HD map was generated. After that, anything could happen. There could be an accident, a tree could fall, a deer walks into the road, there is a crime scene and police directing traffic. Anything.
Tesla quite rightly, do not do geofencing. Its the sort of solution that 'sounds good' to people who don't understand how neural-nets are working. This is why cruise and waymo do it, because it looks good in a pitch deck to middle aged execs who have never written a line of code in their life.
Its also why geofencing gets laughed out of the room at Tesla. Elon is a coder, he understands machine learning, he knows geofencing is dumb.
NO.

Geofencing is mandatory for starting a rideshare business. Evan Uber was geofenced and it still is to some degree.

Several have disagreed with me but not one person here has explained how you can just turn on robotaxi capability for the entire US and just expect it to work.

Tesla robotaxi will start as a geofenced service.

NO.

Geofencing is mandatory for starting a rideshare business. Evan Uber was geofenced and it still is to some degree.

Several have disagreed with me but not one person here has explained how you can just turn on robotaxi capability for the entire US and just expect it to work.

Presumably I could hail a cab in LA and have it drop me off in Manhattan? The cab driver can't then pickup another passenger because it is not his jurisdiction. This is not quite the same as geofenced because the cab needs the ability to drive inside Manhattan.

This video demonstrates perfectly why getting people to drive a tesla is way more important then advertising.
This guy has a youtube channel described as:
"The Old Byrd Farm Vlog documents the restoration and preservation of a 140 year old farm and farm house in Georgia. "

He has no real knowledge of how to drive a tesla.
For instance he strugles to turn the car of :)

But after driving for a few minutes he is sold.

Thanks for the pointer to this video and there are some really great quotes. I can't stress enough how much Tesla needs to educate people:

"first thing I got to find a supercharger uh because part of this experience with Tesla is that they want you to uh take the car to a Supercharger" -Seems like he might think it "must" be taken to a supercharger? Actually, he later says that Tesla wanted him to Supercharge for 10 minutes as this is a test drive. AHHH! I thought he had bought it...and he lays the cable back down on the ground 🤦‍♂️

"don't know if this car is all-wheel drive or not I think that this is a I think it say it's a tri motor on the back of the car so don't know what exactly that means" -ugh

"I guess I should probably Google how to turn this thing off because I have no idea" -got a huge chuckle on this

He doesn't understand one-foot driving it seems, but great he got used to it quickly.

"okay let's try that again got the car a little bit closer and I think you're supposed to tap it right there aren't you" -is he trying to get water out of the handle?

"full computer in this thing" -yes, it is software that actually works, unlike just about any other car ever made

While in FSD he says "...don't kill me Tesla." So I would assume a journalist will write the headlines as such even though a few minutes later says "I'm having the time of my life"

There are so many other quotes, but my takeaway is that he unfortunately is not grasping what is happening. He thinks it is a commuter car and that it wouldn't work for him and doesn't say why.

NO.

How have you arrived at this opinion/fact? Do you have a source? Also, happy to take this to the AI/Robotaxi thread.

My 2 cents: Every level of government can enact rules, however, you pass whatever their tests require, get your permit and go. If you cannot pass the tests for specific areas then yes, you'd have to geofence to only the areas where you failed or didn't apply.

Reactions: capster
Thanks for the pointer to this video and there are some really great quotes. I can't stress enough how much Tesla needs to educate people:

"first thing I got to find a supercharger uh because part of this experience with Tesla is that they want you to uh take the car to a Supercharger" -Seems like he might think it "must" be taken to a supercharger? Actually, he later says that Tesla wanted him to Supercharge for 10 minutes as this is a test drive. AHHH! I thought he had bought it...and he lays the cable back down on the ground 🤦‍♂️

"don't know if this car is all-wheel drive or not I think that this is a I think it say it's a tri motor on the back of the car so don't know what exactly that means" -ugh

"I guess I should probably Google how to turn this thing off because I have no idea" -got a huge chuckle on this

He doesn't understand one-foot driving it seems, but great he got used to it quickly.

"okay let's try that again got the car a little bit closer and I think you're supposed to tap it right there aren't you" -is he trying to get water out of the handle?

"full computer in this thing" -yes, it is software that actually works, unlike just about any other car ever made

While in FSD he says "...don't kill me Tesla." So I would assume a journalist will write the headlines as such even though a few minutes later says "I'm having the time of my life"

There are so many other quotes, but my takeaway is that he unfortunately is not grasping what is happening. He thinks it is a commuter car and that it wouldn't work for him and doesn't say why.
To be fair the tutorial videos are right on the screen as he enters, he needed to just click them to learn everything

Making watching the videos mandatory might be a good way, as you enter the car and close the door a short tutorial video start playing, and in the end it fades to the vehicle screen

Strangely, not one person ever explained how reusable rockets were going to work.
😂🤣 It’s almost like you haven’t been paying attention to the company or the engineers that work there. Like, at all.

Strangely, not one person ever explained how reusable rockets were going to work.

😂🤣 It’s almost like you haven’t been paying attention to the company or the engineers that work there. Like, at all.
Dont hv time… but this is not B&w. Not saying yes or no here. But…
I am here to say V12 is currently geofenced in Cal… why is that?

You can’t educate someone who isn’t ready, willing, and able to be educated.

People have been saying for years how Tesla has to do the educating. At some point it becomes the responsibility of people to do the learning. It’s their responsibility to know how they learn best and seek out information.

People being fooled by headlines and junk content from various sources are people who have yet to learn how to discern fact from fiction. Tesla can’t help them until they help themselves.

It’s ok this is what he took away from the test drive because it’s a step forward. It’s frustrating to us because we know there’s so much more to it, but you can’t force feed people that aren’t ready. All they do is spit up. This guy will chew on this new information and want to know more, or he won’t. His problem, not Tesla’s.

I think we’re about to go through another dark phase of the transition whereby virtually everyone fails at EVs and only a couple are left standing resulting in much shouting from the rooftops not in support of the transition we here know must happen. As a result, Tesla (probably also TSLA) will temporarily get grouped with the fails. Tesla is already being grouped to some extent.

We’ve already been seeing the messages for some time; EV adoption slowing, Rivian, Lucid and the like unable to manage and grow their businesses in any sort of financially healthy way, Ford, GM and the like having all sorts of issues with their EV technology, and struggling to sell their EVs, some at significant losses.

Hang onto your 🎩 In the end, it’ll be okay. When it seems the darkest, when all have lost hope, when the media have all but buried EVs, and everyone you know is pointing their finger at you, laughing that you got sucked in, Tesla will have a quarterly report that shocks and awes so much that people will think they’re lying. Wait for it.

To be fair the tutorial videos are right on the screen as he enters, he needed to just click them to learn everything

Making watching the videos mandatory might be a good way, as you enter the car and close the door a short tutorial video start playing, and in the end it fades to the vehicle screen
It’s not a bad idea. I would personally hate it because I don’t do instructions. That’s why I have a spouse. No, I’m being serious. Something about how I’m wired. I don’t do instructions and I always feel whatever the item is should be plug and play. 🤷🏻‍ Logically I know that’s ridiculous, so the instruction manual gets handed to the spouse. Then if I can’t discover for myself how it works, I ask my spouse - who invariably wants to lecture me about reading the instructions. I am a great person to test if something is intuitive.

You can’t educate someone who isn’t ready, willing, and able to be educated.

People have been saying for years how Tesla has to do the educating. At some point it becomes the responsibility of people to do the learning. It’s their responsibility to know how they learn best and seek out information.

People being fooled by headlines and junk content from various sources are people who have yet to learn how to discern fact from fiction. Tesla can’t help them until they help themselves.

It’s ok this is what he took away from the test drive because it’s a step forward. It’s frustrating to us because we know there’s so much more to it, but you can’t force feed people that aren’t ready. All they do is spit up. This guy will chew on this new information and want to know more, or he won’t. His problem, not Tesla’s.

I think we’re about to go through another dark phase of the transition whereby virtually everyone fails at EVs and only a couple are left standing resulting in much shouting from the rooftops not in support of the transition we here know must happen. As a result, Tesla (probably also TSLA) will temporarily get grouped with the fails. Tesla is already being grouped to some extent.

We’ve already been seeing the messages for some time; EV adoption slowing, Rivian, Lucid and the like unable to manage and grow their businesses in any sort of financially healthy way, Ford, GM and the like having all sorts of issues with their EV technology, and struggling to sell their EVs, some at significant losses.

Hang onto your 🎩 In the end, it’ll be okay. When it seems the darkest, when all have lost hope, when the media have all but buried EVs, and everyone you know is pointing their finger at you, laughing that you got sucked in, Tesla will have a quarterly report that shocks and awes so much that people will think they’re lying. Wait for it.
I wish sales advisors would say: “if you are completely new to Tesla and driving one, I’d be happy to ride along.”

There were so many cases that a sales advisor could have answered his question in a second and show better ways to do things vs just trying to google everything.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Dont hv time… but this is not B&w. Not saying yes or no here. But…
I am here to say V12 is currently geofenced in Cal… why is that?
Strange you’re telling me it’s not black or white when the OP declared with such certainty Tesla would GEO fence. Period.

Adding: Didn’t want you to think I was ignoring the last part, it just simply doesn’t matter the why of it. Of any of it. The result is what matters, not how they get there. In the end, the system needs to not be limited by fencing.

Last edited:
Strange you’re telling me it’s not black or white when the OP declared with such certainty Tesla would GEO fence. Period.

Not fully in that camp either. But where’s my V12? Why not roll it across USA initially? Caution is the answer I believe, as well as compute constraints. This isnt geofenced I know. They can drive here but it has parallels.

Sorry, thats all I got. Not meant to convince anyone here. Have a great weekend!

Not fully in that camp either. But where’s my V12? Why not roll it across USA initially? Caution is the answer I believe, as well as compute constraints. This isnt geofenced I know. They can drive here but it has parallels.

Sorry, thats all I got. Not meant to convince anyone here. Have a great weekend!
Again, the why doesn’t matter. At some point you either believe Tesla knows what it’s doing and how best to move forward, or you don’t and think you know better.

You wouldn’t be alone regardless of which group you’re in. Plenty of company for both of us.

We’re all getting impatient for the final result. But careful what you wish for. There’s nothing smooth about what happens when the switch is flipped, GEO fenced or not.