Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand -- is this supposed to be some kind of dunk on @Zaddy Daddy 's post? Are the assumptions bad? Why?

None of us knows what's going to happen. We all have mental models and we're all making guesses about what we think is likely and possible. The original post even said "let's say...", outlining that they were assuming certain production numbers, margins, ASPs, etc..

People post financial models and end-of-quarter estimates here all the time which are also just "assumptions, assumptions". What's the issue here?

some kind of dunk on @Zaddy Daddy 's post?
No.

Are the assumptions bad?
No. Didn't say that and didn't mean that.

None of us knows what's going to happen.
Exactly, to some extent. We do know many things to some extent, such as: Tesla will produce much more EVs in 5 years, but not so sure about Lucid and Rivian, as both could be bankrupt.

just "assumptions, assumptions". What's the issue here?
A certain Gordon Johnson and his deer make plausibly very intelligent assumptions about Tesla the company and $TSLA the stock. When a lot of assumptions given, with little to none others presented to support those, hopefully you'd evaluate any derived conclusion/prediction/whatever accordingly.

Reactions: Unpilot
Depending on the time horizon, there are longer term factors that can impact of car margins:-
  • 4680 cell production (50% of cell costs)
  • Gen3 manufacturing processes (30% of GA or manufacturing costs)
  • Optimus robots in car factories
  • FSD
I've posted here on how I see Gen3 production processes applying in future to all cars Tesla makes:-

Media outlets are increasingly starting to predict EV prices below prices for ICE vehicles. IMO at price parity only a total fool would buy an ICE car.

Being able to think more than 3 months ahead is why I don't buy the EV demand issues narrative...
Well said. The list of manufacturing innovations that reduce costs and improve quality seems to be growing. Based on reports elsewhere it seems there are numerous areas for which cell and pack costs are declining, including chemistry changes and materials cost reduction, including substitutions for lithium as well as rapid increase in lithium and other battery ingredients. Some reports suggest BYD Blade technology is much cheaper and robust, which is used in China production of Tesla too, and those are produced at pack level for Tesla, form what I read.

Then consider the impact of 48 v on future vehicles which vastly reduces copper use as well as contributes to lower vehicle weight. And so on... or in homage to Vonnegut "and so it goes", but this time it is all good!

For some reason many people are blissfully ignorant about the march of cost reduction with Tesla. In particular, few are even aware of the logistics costs reduced by unwinding "the wave" nor the cost reduction resulting from nearly automated delivery processes. The latter I noticed a couple fo weeks ago taking delivery of a new Model Y. The email and message updates, instructions and directions all enable reduced staffing in delivery. Then ceasing delivery from many stores and centralizing for major urban areas reduces costs too, not coincidently home delivery also does the same.

It also seems most people are simply not aware of the total logistics, production and operational savings that accrue from unwinding 'the wave'. Those who see only downside from pricing changes , periodic incentives from FSD transfer, Supercharging and 'spiffs' for customer referrals really do not understand how much operational savings all that brings.

Tesla has guided fro low growth this year. That does not mean collapse of earnings nor, especially, Free Cash Flow. There are enough moving pieces in all this that we cannot make accurate assessments today, IMHO. That said, I will be unsurprised if the quarter ends out quite well, despite the 'Volcano Group' attack on the Brandenburg grid, The Red Sea Houthi attacks and other challenges. With all the speculation about demand problems too it is also possible that the first quarter will suffer more than i expect. OTOH, Tesla has a history of thriving in adversity and there si also the effect of incentives for BEV and renewable adoption in several crucially important markets.

Finally, it does appear that Cybertruck might be ramping somewhat better than expected. At minimum that should reduce negative effects of the ramp. Further, a trifle of 'slow walking' Monterrey and initial production of 'Model 2' now planned for Austin should also somewhat reduce need for cash.

'Wild Cards' exist with FSD V1 impact, Optimus, AI progress including Dojo and much else. Until recently those have been major cash suers. What happens when one or more turn to cash producers rather than only consumers? Is that happening now? Perhaps.

Looking at all those factors I admit there are grounds for both pessimism and optimism. Not too long after quarter end we'll know. I remain optimistic that Cash Flow will remain strong but the P&L I will not even speculate.

From Germany yesterday...

berlin.png

Since it is the weekend...does anyone feel there is a "reasonable" chance Tesla will defer GigaMexico for other locations? I know there is the whole U.S. credits situation, but given the rest of the world's appetite for smaller cars, I can't help but wonder if Shanghai might not be a better choice. We sure as heck know they can build a plant in record time...
I do not think so. Mexico has not only access to US and Canada but also broad tax treaty-based access to most of South America. When Tesla enters supply agreements from various South American countries even better access to finished products will happen. Mexico already is getting major attention from crucial suppliers to Tesla and others, both Chinese and EU based suppliers.

Tesla is rapidly becoming global. As such other factories, for TE and vehicles will begin to appear with the next couple of years with Spain, Indonesia, India, Brazil, Chile and others all almost certain to have some sort of significant supplier and/or factory locations. We should also realize that major companies from several of these countries already are Tesla suppliers.

With all that is happening right now we see some consolidation for Tesla this year, in preparation for 2025 and soon thereafter a very rapid expansion. The recent moves in Turkey, Chile, Thailand, Malaysia (exempted from Bumiputra policy!) are all ones that link to some type of investment in supply, factory or something related. Indonesia, Brazil, somewhere EU east are all rumored in addition to those recently-entered countries. Not coincidently all those countries have either crucial supplier and/or production possibilities for either direct or third party participation. These moves were not just for additional automotive sales.

FWIW, Tesla is the ONLY non-Chinese OEM following these patterns. Among Chinese BYD has often entered through battery production, busses and stationary storage followed by autos. Tesla has been doing superchargers first (e.g. Morocco, Turkey), where nearby tourists are an initial draw. then doing cars but in some markets doing cars first, as in Chile. We may be assured that Tesla has no intention of ceding the entire world to Chinese competitors.

The next couple of years are certain to be exciting times for TSLA investors!

EVs actually seem to make the problem of moving to high renewable energy grids easier...

That is because batteries are sized for road trips, and daily driving may only use 20%-30% of the battery...

If the weather forecast indicates a 2-3 day period of low renewable energy generation often batteries can be charged to 100% in advance riding through that period. So a significant portion of demand can easily be time-shifted.

Anyone with a EV and a suitable roof is more likely to install solar, some of the extra energy required can come from rooftop solar at home, at carparks and charging stations.

So the new system is nothing like the old system, and the problems many are predicting might not be the actual problems we end up having...
Don't forget that most people charge EV's at home at night, just when energy use is usually lowest. As Norway has found, EV use tends to smooth grid usage, not accentuate peaks. That, overall, will tend to also stabilise grids and make them more efficient, so reducing costs, even for dirty sources. Strangely, perhaps, very few people seem to understand that, even EV ones who charge at home.

An interesting data points that still show plenty of growth for Tesla vehicles...

I went on a nature hike today with a local group of people, we all met up in the parking lot and there was my Tesla, a Prius and the rest were SUV/Trucks and a 1-2 sedans. You would think that Eco-minded people who would want to wander in the woods for 2 hours would be eager to adopt an EV but only 1 (mine) out of 13 vehicles were a BEV 🥴
Change is hard, even for people with -- some -- ethical thinking. I have relatives who are avid naturalists with PhDs, and have young grandkids facing an uncertain future. They both have ridden my Teslas. Yet they STILL drive ICE vehicles. SMDH!

An actor famous for the "Fast and furious" franchise (which involves a lot of cars and a lot of South America ;-)).
I don't know what that is either, but I'll just search for it. I presume it's merchandising or entertainment for people not near my demographic/psychographic profile... I just looked it up. It's one of those merchandise-selling entertainment entities. No wonder I did not know.