Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to a source familiar with the issue....all is under control.
This source also says it is fun to watch all the hand wringing and pearl clutching going on.

The source also wonders why so many panties are in a bunch.
Yes - so many nattering nabobs of negativity here!!! My ignore list added to finally as well.
I have said it before and I will say it again:
Battery glut with massive price reductions this year. US competition has dropped out. Megapacks are still ramping and selling like hotcakes.
Tesla : "we are no longer compute constrained"
FSD: driving people to work now. In darkness and rain no less. And will undoubtedly sell in that tiny little market called ... China.
Elon: now seeing the way forward, has done the math, and has pressed Start.
Extinguish your cigarettes (and rifle through your couches) and hold on to your butts. The ride is now underway.
--Growler out

I wonder if Elon considered just spinning off the Supercharger group into its own company. He could take it public and buy a lot of shiny new H100's for Tesla.

That probably would have been more effective than laying off 500 people.

I don't think Elon could stand to give up control of the charging network. Still, it's an interesting possibility even now.

regarding SuC network .. i memory serves they have been growing connectors/locations by about 30% YOY for many quarters ...

Tesla is no longer growing vehicles at 50% ... some here suggest no growth this year
OEMs have slowed BEV growth

so it makes sense to slow SuC growth and consider other options

Elon did not say SuC growth was stopping... they need to get utilization up at other locations

it is also possible the low hanging fruit locations are done... greed is kicking for landlords etc in now that people understand EVs are real and will dominate going forward ...

what am i missing?
unfortunately the large majority of the US land mass (Great Plains and Rocky Mtn states) has the absolute bare minimum number of superchargers along a few interstate routes. Living in one of those states, it has greatly limited the places we've been able to conveniently drive our Tesla the last 3 years outside a 100 mile radius of our home. & even before they scaled back the SC team, there were almost no new sites being permitted or developed across this broad area. I understand that fewer people live in these areas and thus it's a less profitable venture to build out SC but we still need many, many more fast chargers across much of the country to make EV travel ubiquitous. Hopefully NEVI chargers start to address those gaps but there's a long way yet to go...

unfortunately the large majority of the US land mass (Great Plains and Rocky Mtn states) has the absolute bare minimum number of superchargers along a few interstate routes. Living in one of those states, it has greatly limited the places we've been able to conveniently drive our Tesla the last 3 years outside a 100 mile radius of our home. & even before they scaled back the SC team, there were almost no new sites being permitted or developed across this broad area. I understand that fewer people live in these areas and thus it's a less profitable venture to build out SC but we still need many, many more fast chargers across much of the country to make EV travel ubiquitous. Hopefully NEVI chargers start to address those gaps but there's a long way yet to go...
In my experience you can travel anywhere, but the charging problems arise when you are staying in a town for days/weeks without charging nearby. Since every town in america has the same damn stores/restaurants maybe more corporate deals for level 2 charging and 72kW SuC would help? SuC are too fast for most retail/restaurant stops.

I wonder if Elon considered just spinning off the Supercharger group into its own company. He could take it public and buy a lot of shiny new H100's for Tesla.

I don't think Elon could stand to give up control of the charging network. Still, it's an interesting possibility even now.
yes, because there are new grants/programs for federal incentives for charging networks. A separate entity could avail those.

Reactions: advocate8
Is there some concern in Teslas financials that makes you think they're incapable of containing to expand their profitable charging network or are you just defending whatever Elon does as correct because Elon did it?
He’s the boss. He has more information than you or I. He has a proven track record moving Tesla forward, not you or I.

I don’t care what you think about Tesla. I care what he thinks. I care what he does. I have no need to question his motives; again historical evidence. If he ever does something that my sensibilities just can’t navigate, I’ll quietly exit the building and be done with it all.
But nobody else would.

In large part nobody else still is

The nextr "big" charging network- EA- only exists because VW cheated on emissions for years and was forced into it by a court.

It continues to suck as an alternative and there's no indication of that changing- same for all the other smaller players who have janky and unreliable charging.

The move of all the OEMs to Tesla was because Tesla is the only affordable and reliable national charging network.

Why hit the brakes on that now? Especially when you've already gotten all the early adopters and need to get the MOST range anxious, and those without home charging, onto the "EVs are fine" train.... plus it's a profitable line of business so it's only ADDING to revenue.
You’re asking the wrong person. I can guess based on what I know about Elon and have observed, but a guess is useless. So, I’ll just wait until my guess is confirmed by Tesla or the reason becomes public knowledge.
The goal is to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable transport.

A larger and more reliable charging network is fundamental to that goal

Since when did "Eh, let someone else figure it out" become the mission statement?
Well, the goal either didn’t change and Elon is simply going to go about it differently, or it did and we’ll find out at some point.
We've been hearing the YUGE FSD MONEY story for 5 years now since the original autonomy day.

Still ain't here-- and there's plenty of financial models showing even if Tesla got L4 on the road this year (which continues to look incredibly unlikely) it'll be years still before revenue streams are actually that big (and potentially not near as big as the folks who think everyone will just stop owning cars)
I didn’t define what the bigger revenue would be. Did I? Nope. Did not.

As long as Tesla has been public I’ve seen hundreds of revenue, valuation, business etc… models. NOBODY has ever gotten it right. So guess how much credence I’m giving to all the RT et al models?
NONE of that is a reason to abandon a different revenue stream that's already going and remaining profitable as it grows.
So you say. I’ve already established I don’t care what you think. You don’t have anymore information than the rest of us, which is way less than Elon.
You can't even make the excuse of "It was taking up people better used elsewhere in the company" since they didn't move them- they just fired them.
I’m not looking for excuses. If they were laid off, they needed to be laid off for whatever reason we’re not currently privy to. I wish them the best of luck finding new jobs. They’ve got two months worth of wages and health benefits in their pockets. And if they’re the best of the best, they’ll have jobs within days.
Not pedantic, basic facts and logic.
If you say so.
Heck you contradict yourself right there--- seemingly acknowledging Teslas solution is WAY better than anyone elses-- then saying let the others- who you just told us suck- do it.
It’s not a contradiction. Tesla’s way is the best. But as has been stated here ad nauseum for YEARS, Tesla can’t do it alone. Tesla showed how to do a SuperCharger Network, willingly helped, hasn’t said they are stopping expansion - Elon clearly explained a change in focus (for now - he didn’t say forever), and in the meantime others can pick up the gauntlet or not. No contradiction. Just as all fridges are not made the same, neither apparently are EV charging networks.
How does a move that cedes future growth of new charging locations- vital to increasing EV adoption rates- to inferior solutions that anger customers help the mission rather than hurt it?
Asking the wrong person. I don’t know the whole of Elon’s plan. But again, for someone so pedantic, you sure like to be oblivious when it suits you. Elon didn’t specify that the current direction of the network would be forever. Just pulling randomly from my butt; I imagine the logic is that he’ll correct all the current use issues, THEN start to select locales for filling in empty spaces - that people have been complaining about for years now and were not addressed by the 500 (which they probably should have, huh?) - and so on expanding it so it becomes more useful for all.

I don't think the moderation intends to promote an echo chamber. Yes, there is 1 particular troll who only posts negative, but some of the "negativity" is just rational discussion that deviates from super bulls' perspective.
I completely disagree with your assessment of that troll. I believe he only throws in the odd ‘not obviously negative or passive aggressive’ post so that you and others think he’s here to help.

Additionally, this space has never been an echo chamber or in danger of being an echo chamber and I disagree with the continuation of the false narrative here.

He’s the boss. He has more information than you or I. He has a proven track record moving Tesla forward, not you or I.

I don’t care what you think about Tesla. I care what he thinks. I care what he does. I have no need to question his motives; again historical evidence. If he ever does something that my sensibilities just can’t navigate, I’ll quietly exit the building and be done with it all.

You’re asking the wrong person. I can guess based on what I know about Elon and have observed, but a guess is useless. So, I’ll just wait until my guess is confirmed by Tesla or the reason becomes public knowledge.

Well, the goal either didn’t change and Elon is simply going to go about it differently, or it did and we’ll find out at some point.

I didn’t define what the bigger revenue would be. Did I? Nope. Did not.

As long as Tesla has been public I’ve seen hundreds of revenue, valuation, business etc… models. NOBODY has ever gotten it right. So guess how much credence I’m giving to all the RT et al models?

So you say. I’ve already established I don’t care what you think. You don’t have anymore information than the rest of us, which is way less than Elon.

I’m not looking for excuses. If they were laid off, they needed to be laid off for whatever reason we’re not currently privy to. I wish them the best of luck finding new jobs. They’ve got two months worth of wages and health benefits in their pockets. And if they’re the best of the best, they’ll have jobs within days.

If you say so.

It’s not a contradiction. Tesla’s way is the best. But as has been stated here ad nauseum for YEARS, Tesla can’t do it alone. Tesla showed how to do a SuperCharger Network, willingly helped, hasn’t said they are stopping expansion - Elon clearly explained a change in focus (for now - he didn’t say forever), and in the meantime others can pick up the gauntlet or not. No contradiction. Just as all fridges are not made the same, neither apparently are EV charging networks.

Asking the wrong person. I don’t know the whole of Elon’s plan. But again, for someone so pedantic, you sure like to be oblivious when it suits you. Elon didn’t specify that the current direction of the network would be forever. Just pulling randomly from my butt; I imagine the logic is that he’ll correct all the current use issues, THEN start to select locales for filling in empty spaces - that people have been complaining about for years now and were not addressed by the 500 (which they probably should have, huh?) - and so on expanding it so it becomes more useful for all.
As usual the Cat makes good points. I would add one anecdote. The previous poster pointed out how in some areas where they live SC coverage is only getting a person from point to point. For me, in the Pasadena, CA area, we do have many Teslas but there are about four SC centers within a ten minute drive. Works for me but we do not yet know if the job of the people let go was to get this coverage more even and they did not do so.

In, I suppose, my defense, I would say that this site is not only a source, but frequently the first source of information or clarification if some other media outlet got something wrong. It may mean one has to wade through a bunch of people asking what is essentially the same question, but since its free its a classic small price to pay. :)

Most times, the correct explanation for something is the simplest. The company is under revenue pressure and is cutting expenses. That's what is going on here. It's not a sudden revelation about the supercharging team, or any of the other teams. It's straightforward cost cutting with the usual vague rationalizations from management you get about these sorts of things. The only question is whether it's cutting those expenses in a responsible way to protect the interests of the company. There isn't some grand new vision, some sort of beast mode on AI or RT or whatever.
Given the supercharger network was a key factor in my last two vehicle purchases I tend to worry cutting that team is shortsighted. Others can make honest guesses in another direction. But know they are no better than guesses.
The current problems popping up in media about the New York sites getting cancelled and construction at the Texas sites halted seem like they could be relatively minor blips as the company makes a transition to a team with a different structure. This is exactly what you would expect under such an abrupt transition.
For now I'm still 4x on most of my TSLA and not about to sell. But it's hard no worry re: superchargers.
I disagree. It’s more complicated than just cutting costs. As has been explained by Elon, multiple times over the years, including recently, that you’re blatantly ignoring is that to keep a company healthy you have to aggressively cull the herd to prevent waste, bloat, floaters and all that happens to businesses when there’s too many cooks in the kitchen, too many layers of middlemen etc…

Additionally, it sets fire to the butts of those remaining who aren’t pulling their weight and contributing in a meaningful way. If they don’t like it, they can leave too.

Lastly, it becomes the perfect time to pivot the company.

This is Elon at his best. You invested in this Elon. If you didn’t and you don’t like it, you know what to do.

I completely disagree with your assessment of that troll. I believe he only throws in the odd ‘not obviously negative or passive aggressive’ post so that you and others think he’s here to help.

Additionally, this space has never been an echo chamber or in danger of being an echo chamber and I disagree with the continuation of the false narrative here.
One can point at your post history as trollish (I don't think so fwiw). Regardless of what is occurring, it's for the best, all is good, and your try to diminish anyone who thinks otherwise. That's my point that moderators shouldn't quell dissention, because there are opposing opinions.

You misinterpreted my post. I was saying there is 1 obvious troll, but some of the negativity (implying from elsewhere) is just rational discussions. We all know there is 1 very obvious troll who post for no other reason but to upset the optimist.

Also, there are many here who infer they would prefer an echo chamber free of "FUD" or dissention from TSLA being the best and to the moon.

This supports my theory that Tesla has realized how we are at the point where others will step in and build charging infrastructure.

Looks like Elon got it right, again!

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla provides the equipment for a lot of these installations, and avoids the more time consuming aspects of arranging for the individual sites.
Yep, just sell the SC's themselves (with caveats), let them worry about the locations. Like I posed yesterday, get them hooked on heroin when you're the only dealer in town, then back away from the distribution itself. At least some people get it!

I disagree. It’s more complicated than just cutting costs. As has been explained by Elon, multiple times over the years, including recently, that you’re blatantly ignoring is that to keep a company healthy you have to aggressively cull the herd to prevent waste, bloat, floaters and all that happens to businesses when there’s too many cooks in the kitchen, too many layers of middlemen etc…

Additionally, it sets fire to the butts of those remaining who aren’t pulling their weight and contributing in a meaningful way. If they don’t like it, they can leave too.

Lastly, it becomes the perfect time to pivot the company.

This is Elon at his best. You invested in this Elon. If you didn’t and you don’t like it, you know what to do.
New theory... was all the telecommuters. 🤣

Locks all the doors. "OK, anyone who is at work today gets to keep their job, please sign here."

WTF does this matter. WTF.DOES.THIS.MATTER?

He just gutted an important part of this company and he's on there with crap like this, meanwhile, us investors have been talking our heads off on here about his decision making. MAYBE, he should be posting and letting his shareholders know what his plans are...

I disagree. X stuff is clearly not allowed here. Take it to the cesspool it belongs in. If you can’t reconcile business Elon with personal Elon, you know what to do.

It's like Tesla invented the car....then the fueling stations....and now they are changing how they continue to build the fueling stations...and people freak out!

This did not even exist until Tesla put a million pound rock on its back and marched up a steep hill. They created the ability to go anywhere (In the USA...but soon the world) ...and when they change how they continue to build out this indispensable network...people freak out.

It is all so tiring.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Re-instituting two long-neglected, but never repealed, policies:

• Participants who state that they have placed others on Ignore;
  • Participants who campaign in any fashion for others to place others on Ignore;
  • Participants who state indirect “I’ve Ignored” comments like “Gee, a lot of posts here responding to something I’ve not read”;
  • Participants who, in the opinion of a Moderator, have their knees and thumbs linked: their knee-jerk response to another poster’s post is to ThumbsDown it;
  • Participants who persistently ignore Moderator dicta regarding personal attacks;

Are subject to a No-Further-Warning ban of indeterminate length. Violators of the final two bullet points will find that a longer length.

ALL OF THE ABOVE-MENTIONED ACTS are inimical to adult discussion. For the past dozen years I have made no bones about my distaste for the ThumbsDown symbol: if you disagree with a post; if you dislike a portion of another’s argument, then by God bring it up in conversation and discuss what it is that you consider wrong.

Or go away.

The pride that people have at insulating themselves further and further from level-heading commenters is really a saddening effect, especially as many of these very same people belove Musk who would abhor the very same actions.

The signal to noise ratio is being heavily reduced by ad-hominem attacks and the many mentioned posts about "ignores", adding pages and pages of wasted eyeball tracking.

Further even allowing the ignore function is causing bifurcated discussions. Aside from the few trolls, there are ample uber-bulls who are misrepresenting data, and reasonable discussion cannot be had because those same people have blocked anyone who might confront them on it.

How does this promote fruitful discussion into better learning about the state of the company?

The ignore function should be removed.

I wouldn't want to, but considering creating a new thread just for rational talk for people who are ignoring people.

What issues have people been complaining about and do we know:
  • Lack of expansion in gaps
  • Lack of upgrades in V2 islands
  • Slow transition to V4 posts
  • Over-expansion in some areas
  • Lack of greater than 500v support
  • Manual payment processing for recurring site lease/rental expenses
Who was responsible for all of those shortcomings? The Supercharger team that is no longer with Tesla.

And what is the rumor? That the head of the Supercharging team was pushing back and refusing to clean house and reduce staff by ~10%, as Elon had directed to be done. So, Elon was forced to do the manager's job for them, and did it how he does: make an example of the group by cleaning house and starting over. (And in the process normally tries to bring back the good people, assuming they are willing.)

It has been what two whole days, and people act like the world is ending. We are just going to have to sit back and see how Elon's current plan plays out.

I disagree another company is a good idea or that even those 500 should be part of one.

I disagree. Elon has always stated he was willing to help the OEMs as long as it was a fair exchange.

Of course curiosity is allowed. I asked you straight up why you asked the question. You said you were curious. I said so it’s not important (agree, in the big scheme of things). So, where’s the issue?

No. We don’t know. People are guessing. Is guessing a good thing for investing and/or deciding to to invest more/reduce investment? I’d say no. So, why guess? Why doesn’t everyone just wait a hot second? And is it even important where the people were (they’re gone now)?

Is it weird? How so? Tesla told us they were going to keep their mouth shut more. We should thusly have expected less information about everything. No? Again, I ask. Does it matter in the scheme of things if they worked in Fremont, from home, from Mars? They’re gone.

If you feel you need the information to reassess your investment; different story. I’d then ask how does their locale of work affect your investment thesis in Tesla?
😂. You do you dude. You are just trolling for a fight. Whatever gets you there. 😂