Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'd rather CEO's kow-tow to profit over principle?

I, for one, find standing up to folks based on something other than the bottom line a bit refreshing. There's enough potential customers that you don't need to pander to those not acting in goof faith.

Short term profit take a hit?: probably

Long term will it galvanize other folks to staunchly support you? Likely.

Is there value in aligning with the mission despite breaking a few eggs? Definitely (for me anyway).

"Management reserves the refuse service to anyone."

It's not about kow-tow to profits over principle. It's making up stories like that guy who attacked Pelosi's husband with a hammer which he had to back down from. Anyone can say whatever they want, but there could/maybe repercussions so my comment is that maybe CEOs should just shut up like most other CEOs (like Nvdia CEO). It's a losing battle to hate on 50% of the population, honestly, but you keep doing you really and Tesla stock/investors are paying the price.

You can bring up many articles of fake stories (like that stalker after his wife) that he had to back down on as well since they weren't even after his family.

It simply alienates your customers which has been documented here as well and I think, reflects on Tesla's product with their customers. Why put a target on your back as the CEO of multiple large companies? You're simply making enemies.

You can, however, compare Autopilot to Autopilot over time to show that it's getting safer, while other category crash rates have remained constant:

From one crash every 3.35 million miles in Q3 2018 to one every 7.63 million miles in Q1 2024. More than twice as safe as when they first started reporting the figure.
THIS!!! EXACTLY!

It's a shame we don't have leadership in this country that truly champions the superiority of Tesla's (semi-)autonomous safety features that have been saving human lives for years now. The data is irrefutable. This type of technology, FSD in particular, ought to be the standard. Too many people die by automobile. It's unconscionable that people argue against widespread adoption. I have no problem wanting these technologies to be ever-safer as time goes on, but frankly only a fool would conclude that FSD or Autopilot are less safe than the average human driver. There are some very unaware humans who engage in the act of driving every day. We can do better, not tomorrow, but right now. The technology is available today.

Well, we already know from ex-Tesla engineers that they designed Autopilot to disengage one second before an anticipated crash, thus rendering a crash as "no on Autopilot."

Like many things Tesla, be skeptical of what they present at face value given their track record.
Why do you continue to engage in such vapid skepticism?

It's not about kow-tow to profits over principle. It's making up stories like that guy who attacked Pelosi's husband with a hammer which he had to back down from. Anyone can say whatever they want, but there could/maybe repercussions so my comment is that maybe CEOs should just shut up like most other CEOs (like Nvdia CEO). It's a losing battle to hate on 50% of the population, honestly, but you keep doing you really and Tesla stock/investors are paying the price.

You can bring up many articles of fake stories (like that stalker after his wife) that he had to back down on as well since they weren't even after his family.

It simply alienates your customers which has been documented here as well and I think, reflects on Tesla's product with their customers. Why put a target on your back as the CEO of multiple large companies? You're simply making enemies.

Well, that's not who it appeared you were talking about when you said:

insult their customers or tell them to F off and say they don't want their $$.

That's more along the lines of Iger when they threatened to pull ad $$$ from a commercial entity, which is what was addressing.

But he's certainly said his share of things he may have had second thoughts about...I know I certainly have. But to me a person's personal thought and his corporate performance are rather different things.

It is being reported that within a month (so likely 12.5) FSD will recognize hand gestures.

From 12.4 notes regarding camera detection of driver attentiveness ...

The car can only rely on the vehicle's cabin camera, and therefore remove the steering wheel nag under certain conditions:

• the camera is not occluded
  • there is sufficient lighting
  • the driver is looking forward
  • the driver is not wearing sunglasses
  • the driver is not wearing a low-brim hat or another object that covers their eyes

I missed this last Dec. Apparently..

"BANGKOK, Dec 7 (Reuters) - Thailand's Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on Thursday said he showed Tesla executives around industrial estates in the country last week for potential investment.
"I went out of my way to entertain them so they would fall in love with Thailand .... they are looking for 2,000 rai (320 hectares) of land," Srettha said, adding he was confident that the electric vehicle (EV) maker would invest in Thailand."

Nobody's trying to set it "precisely"

They're just pointing out that since Teslas systems plus a human have much lower accident rates on all types of roads (even across 2 different systems that primarily work on 2 different types of roads) you CAN conclude Teslas ADAS+human is safer than human alone.

I agree the specifics of HOW MUCH safer requires a lot more data.

But you've not shown anything to support your claim we can't conclude "safer by a non-zero amount" isn't accurate.
The systems are not used at the same rate on each given road type. Therefore when they are in use, and compiling the data shown, they are more likely to be on roads where accidents are significantly less likely to occur. When they are not engaged, the cars are likley to be travelling on roads where accidents are much more likely. That's one point. And the last I'll make. This is more than enough on the topic.

Reactions: Andy O
L2 city streets not from Tesla, door to door, anywhere in China, is available to consumers there-- just as FSD V12 offers L2 city streets door to door, anywhere in NA, from Tesla. You've had this pointed out to you multiple times but keep repeating your inaccurate claim. Why?
As I said, "No other automaker offers anything comparable to FSD V12."

I am correct as nothing offered in China compares to FSD V12. You've had this pointed out to you multiple times but you keep talking about L2 as if that makes it equivalent to FSD V12. Why?

As I said, "No other automaker offers anything comparable to FSD V12."

I am correct as nothing offered in China compares to FSD V12.

But that's factually untrue.

Door to door L2 on city streets is offered both by companies other than Tesla in china and by FSD V12 in NA by Tesla.

You've had this pointed out to you multiple times but you keep talking about L2 as if that makes it equivalent to FSD V12. Why?

Because that's that V12 is.

Which part of that fact are you confused about?

The systems are not used at the same rate on each given road type. Therefore when they are in use, and compiling the data shown, they are more likely to be on roads where accidents are significantly less likely to occur.

That doesn't make any sense. It was valid when we ONLY have data on AP accident rates but that's no longer the case.

Since we have data on BOTH systems- and they cover all road types.

And BOTH have much lower accident rates than humans alone.

Last edited:
Not advice, but I heard people are taking their 10-100x win in NVDA and moving some back over to TSLA.
Indeed. Small potatoes here, but the opportunity was staring at me. About the same net as well.

1716482168911.png

Will ya look at that. Just 5 Shillings for 25 shiny ones!

THIS!!! EXACTLY!

It's a shame we don't have leadership in this country that truly champions the superiority of Tesla's (semi-)autonomous safety features that have been saving human lives for years now. The data is irrefutable. This type of technology, FSD in particular, ought to be the standard. Too many people die by automobile. It's unconscionable that people argue against widespread adoption. I have no problem wanting these technologies to be ever-safer as time goes on, but frankly only a fool would conclude that FSD or Autopilot are less safe than the average human driver. There are some very unaware humans who engage in the act of driving every day. We can do better, not tomorrow, but right now. The technology is available today.
You are right, of course.

The same thing was said about seat belts and then air bags. We will get there.

It is being reported that within a month (so likely 12.5) FSD will recognize hand gestures.

From 12.4 notes regarding camera detection of driver attentiveness ...

The car can only rely on the vehicle's cabin camera, and therefore remove the steering wheel nag under certain conditions:

• the camera is not occluded
  • there is sufficient lighting
  • the driver is looking forward
  • the driver is not wearing sunglasses
  • the driver is not wearing a low-brim hat or another object that covers their eyes
I don’t even know why effort is being put into this driver attentiveness stuff when robotaxis are right around the corner.

But this is moving closer to Mercedes’ list of requirements for their Level 3 Traffic Jam Assist module, just to have Level 2 hands-free.

• Funny
Reactions: ShareLofty