Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can, however, compare Autopilot to Autopilot over time to show that it's getting safer, while other category crash rates have remained constant:

From one crash every 3.35 million miles in Q3 2018 to one every 7.63 million miles in Q1 2024. More than twice as safe as when they first started reporting the figure.
Anyone have any theories of why the green line is clearly trending down?

• Helpful
Reactions: ToTheStars
I don't understand how you come to that conclusion.

They tell you here's our accident rate using AP+human primarily highways and here's our accident rate using FSD+human primarily on local roads.

You can't just average these of course as you're missing the info to do so, but both are many times lower than human alone.

There is no road type that's higher.

What circumstance or data weirdness do you think would make it possible for the accident rate on any road to be higher than human alone given that?
They are unable to compare either data set -- AP or FSD assisted -- direclty with data compiled on the same roads by solely human drivers. Meaning these categories of "primarily local roads" and "primarly highways" can't be set against precisely equivalent sets of human-only data on exactly the same roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: hobbes and alexxs88
These prices are insane, and makes total sense on the push to make 4680s way cheaper. Crazy to think that I, as a individual consumer have to pay $500/kWh
around here

This is a tale as old as the CCP: massively subsidize industries, cut prices on the back of those subsidies, and dump into other economies to destroy domestic competition and establish dominance.

Then when China wants to make a move on Taiwan or mess around further with the Philippines or Vietnam in the South China Sea and the US and Europe are dependent on Chinese batteries / solar panels / yadda yadda, that’s when things will go sideways the same way they did with Russia using its energy exports to exert influence.

But I think the world has become too wise to this.

It might not be large enough of a downtrend to be statistically significant.

But if it is, I would guess the cause is actually good drivers choosing to use Autopilot more often. If good drivers have been chosing to use Autopilot more often, the cohort of drivers that constitute the miles driven without Autopilot are getting worse on average.

Green line has no trend, maybe a Q3 bump repeating pattern is all I see. Point being, it's generally flat with consistent noise that may have to with seasons.

Conclusion: Safety is NOT improving for those still driving themselves - which makes sense.

FSD seems very close to the stated 10x safer than humans goal. Today could be the last TSLA sale price day... ya never know.

I am not crazy about FSD tech, but I can understand it being safer. An example, unbeknown to most when you take off in an airliner, SOP is around 500-1000ft engage the autopilot and make course and speed corrections through it. Autopilot gets disengaged late into the final around 1500 feet before landing....
Other that being incorrect on all your factual premise, you're also rather unreasoned in your view of driver information.
FYI, :
"British European Airways ordered a fleet of Hawker Siddeley HS 121 Tridents, three-engine jetliners that in 1965 became the first transports to fly automatic landings in revenue service."
source: Smithsonian
Presently some version of autoland is available even on small aircraft:
Not only do aircraft have autoland they also have ground auto navigation coming:
As for the 1500 feet nonsense that has not been true ever. There could be, perhaps, some use of such limits somewhere. unlikely but possible somewhere for some operations, most likely training ones. In normal practice for IFR, pilots tend to choose autopilot until minimum approach height, unless using autoland. That is tendency, not regulatory.
Although I'm a former Airline Transport Pilot and CFI I am not current. The data, though, is readily accessible.

As we consider automotive use of driving aids and eventually true point-to-point automation, you're woefully out of touch with present reality, including Tesla and several others.

Just as even small Cessnas have excellent autopilots available today, we might understand that "hand flying" today is now mostly for sport. Very soon, "hand driving" will be thus. As with aircraft automated systems, none of the ones for vehicles anytime soon are able to be 100% supervised. Even fully automatic aircraft still have monitoring and remote control in some respect. So it will be for vehicles for some time, probably including Robotaxi at least when it begins.

I think people were more willing to put up with him running several companies when he was actually delivering results at Tesla and was not damaging the Tesla brand with his politics/culture war nonsense.

The fact is that Tesla has been performing poorly, even after Elon had the nerve to claim that demand still outpaced production (you know, when growth started slowing and then turned negative)... He needs to refocus and deliver results. We know he's capable of doing so, but then he needs to pull back from Twitter.
FYI, your comment was part of my calculus to buy TSLA this morning.

This thread is a powerful indicator. I've muted several and lost some of that sour-signal, so I just look at the number of blocked messages. But then someone new comes along with your kind of phrasing on the Elon Channel. (And could be legit or paid FUD, who knows, not judging yet).

It boils down to these key FUD trends:
  1. Hate on Elon (& all Billionaires)
  2. Hate on Prices Drops - Demand!
  3. Hate on FSD, AI, Robots, and Job Elimination
  4. Hate on Manufacturing, Push for Efficiency, and Environment (lol)
They likely stem from different areas of concern, infused with misinformation, and causing many to feel trapped by this economy and their future job prospects, even loss of wealth with the inflation. When things change, there are both winners and losers. This goes for money, power, and jobs.

They are unable to compare either data set -- AP or FSD assisted -- direclty with data compiled on the same roads by solely human drivers. Meaning these categories of "primarily local roads" and "primarly highways" can't be set against precisely equivalent sets of human-only data on exactly the same roads.

Nobody's trying to set it "precisely"

They're just pointing out that since Teslas systems plus a human have much lower accident rates on all types of roads (even across 2 different systems that primarily work on 2 different types of roads) you CAN conclude Teslas ADAS+human is safer than human alone.

I agree the specifics of HOW MUCH safer requires a lot more data.

But you've not shown anything to support your claim we can't conclude "safer by a non-zero amount" isn't accurate.

The AP data are consistently superior to only humans by 5-10x+ going back 6 or 7 years. The data may not "control" for road type variability, but the statistical difference is far too vast to ignore.

• Funny
Reactions: hobbes and jerry33
Fragrance arrived in Norway today, I think BULLISH and may ignore any other data for a couple of weeks!
IMG_7558.jpeg

Green line has no trend, maybe a Q3 bump repeating pattern is all I see. Point being, it's generally flat with consistent noise that may have to with seasons.

Conclusion: Safety is NOT improving for those still driving themselves - which makes sense.

FSD seems very close to the stated 10x safer than humans goal. Today could be the last TSLA sale price day... ya never know.
Better yet, we really should talk about the missing line. The data that show how many miles the car can go on FSD when NO Humans are involved.

And then the obvious questions after that:
Is it better or worse without Humans while on FSD?
Are we still causing accidents by intervening, or are we helping the data?

Tesla has a better understanding of course, but it's likely filtered data estimates and not pure. So I'm up for a pilot soon'ish, no drivers or passengers. How about cross-country, settle the debate once and for all. Per the data, it should be able to do this round trip, no accidents, and with fairly high confidence. Come-on Tesla FSD, ya ready for a road-trip soon?