Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there are versions of FSD that go thousands of miles without intervention, why is Tesla even messing with 12.4, which has been a regression from 12.3.6?

It doesn't make sense. There's a version they have that isn't making mistakes, but they are pushing out poor versions?

I think many of the interventions we're seeing on the current v12.3.6 are unnecessary. I intervene when it makes a wrong turn, or hesitates a little bit, or even when I reach my destination. Tesla will have a mechanism to evaluate clips recorded from interventions and determine whether they were necessary or made for convenience. By that necessary intervention metric, v12.3.6 may already be going thousands of miles.

I think many of the interventions we're seeing on the current v12.3.6 are unnecessary. I intervene when it makes a wrong turn, or hesitates a little bit, or even when I reach my destination. Tesla will have a mechanism to evaluate clips recorded from interventions and determine whether they were necessary or made for convenience. By that necessary intervention metric, v12.3.6 may already be going thousands of miles.
I have it on 3 cars, but also there's a ton of video (even of 12.4.1) making dangerous maneuvers that require interventions to know that's not true. 12.3.6 still doesn't even know what a school bus stop sign is, yet. Neither 12.3 or 12.4 are good at UPL.

Saying they can't find interventions, but seeing them struggle at Chuck's turn (with Tesla employees) just creates eye rolls from anyone who isn't all in.

Edit: If they are thinking 12.3.6 is "near perfect" as you are suggesting. Tesla is going to miss on RTs. I think they are smarter than that and Elon is just talking.

Optimus with HW5 revealed
1718316825021.jpeg

We don't pay insane rates per kWh like CA. I'd have to pay over $32k for 10kW to replace a $200/mth bill @ $.15/kWh
10kW Tesla solar is ~$16k after tax credit. Using your number of $200/month or $2400/year, you are getting a 100% safe, risk free 15% return on your investment. The stock market does not provide that. The best 100% safe return you can get now is ~5%.

Wow Elon is also describing remoting into cars when they’re stuck like Waymo

No problem with that, the problem is like some reports describing Waymo having 1.5 people per car involved in monitoring

A center that takes care of thousands of vehicles, given interventions will be rarer and rarer? It's the only way, at least until the car can figure out it's own intervention

I have it on 3 cars, but also there's a ton of video (even of 12.4.1) making dangerous maneuvers that require interventions to know that's not true. 12.3.6 still doesn't even know what a school bus stop sign is, yet. Neither 12.3 or 12.4 are good at UPL.

Saying they can't find interventions, but seeing them struggle at Chuck's turn (with Tesla employees) just creates eye rolls from anyone who isn't all in.

Edit: If they are thinking 12.3.6 is "near perfect" as you are suggesting. Tesla is going to miss on RTs. I think they are smarter than that and Elon is just talking.

Elon just addressed your point live in the Q&A. They consider Chuck's UPL to be one of the most difficult ~1000 intersections in the US, and that's why they use it to benchmark versions.

For every 0.1 mile driven in that sort of situation, there probably are hundreds of miles for most roads that go by without incident. I've personally stopped measuring miles per intervention and started measuring days per intervention on V12.3.6. At this point I've come close to weeks worth of driving without touching the brakes or the accelerator.