Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT

It is a lot more solid than it used to be. Esp., when moving. The ones that wobble are the ones it can't directly figure out because they are hidden behind other cars (so, the system is guessing where it is). What firmware are you on ?

My hunch is this wobbling of other cars when stopped is because Tesla uses atleast 2 consecutive camera frames as input into the NN and it relies on motion to help it see and judge position relative to other reference points like lane lines. When stopped the accuracy goes down but thats ok because your not moving.

Pulled the trigger and ordered Model X Performance w/ free Ludicrous and FSD before the price is going up. Trade in of 3+ years old Model X 90D at a very good price, given 68k miles already.

At the store, the Tesla authorization system was a bit slow to respond. According to an apologetic customer advocate, this had to do with unusual high number of orders being entered due to end of the month expiration of some of the special offers. I told him that was music to my ears (the high number of orders). :D

He had me enter the order on my iPhone which took all of 15 seconds, amazing! In and out of the store in 15 min, that’s unheard of when buying a new car.

Going from 90D to P100DL with $2,500 down and only $100 higher monthly payment is a fantastic deal in my opinion. I’m hopeful more owners think like me and are doing the same.

Last edited:
Tesla’s hands-on-wheel detection is not that consistent and one needs to constantly deal with the nagging. They come at random times, and one has to apply the right amount of tweak to make them go away (but not risk of disengaging AP) - all these are a great deal of distraction detrimental to safety. That say, I know there is no good solution out there so I am perfectly OK with having to deal with that.

You know you can move the scroll wheel instead of the steering wheel to turn off the nag, right? No microswerving required.

Can anyone provide a summary of the points made? Missed this before they took it down

Judge Musk by the delta of factory output over a period of years, not by a couple of select tweets. At the end of the day, it’s the output that matters, and the output is in the same class as the iPhone - it’s what people want.

Shorts are betting against a better future.

Shorts can only lose. Google and Apple would not let Tesla fail.

Judge Musk by the delta of factory output over a period of years, not by a couple of select tweets. At the end of the day, it’s the output that matters, and the output is in the same class as the iPhone - it’s what people want.

Shorts are betting against a better future.

Shorts can only lose. Google and Apple would not let Tesla fail.
Also, started with a good analogy: can you (to the host) hit a golf ball in a cup floating in the ocean, how many tries would you need? EM has done something as difficult as that 9 out of ten times.

Can anyone provide a summary of the points made? Missed this before they took it down
Experience driving a Tesla is transformational (Chamath owns a Model 3). Dismissed criticism of Tesla because of Musk's "style" as pointless,
Host brought up coming EV competition, Chamath sited analogies of "too little too late" (Zune vs iPod).
Betting against transformational tech was a loser.
Chanos makes money once a decade.

OT

My hunch is this wobbling of other cars when stopped is because Tesla uses atleast 2 consecutive camera frames as input into the NN and it relies on motion to help it see and judge position relative to other reference points like lane lines. When stopped the accuracy goes down but thats ok because your not moving.

My SW is 8.5, the wobbling is gone. The cars around me are accurate and stable, only occasionally one out of 10 cars that still wobble a bit.

Experience driving a Tesla is transformational (Chamath owns a Model 3). Dismissed criticism of Tesla because of Musk's "style" as pointless,
Host brought up coming EV competition, Chamath sited analogies of "too little too late" (Zune vs iPod).
Betting against transformational tech was a loser.
Chanos makes money once a decade.

Thanks everyone that responded! Also found it on youtube:

OT

I think this is exactly the case. Note that you tend to see the wobbling for the cars *next* to you, not in front of or behind you. That’s because the side-facing cameras in the B-pillar don’t use two cameras for stereo vision(there’s only 1 camera in each direction). Instead, they’re likely using the lateral motion as the car moves to produce two different camera positions for generating stereo depth, just like the birds bobbing their heads in the presentation.

Just another indication of just how well thought out the camera locations and directions are in AP2.

I tried to download the video early today, somehow it didn't work, I was afraid they will take down the video.

Chamath Palihapitiya made great arguments why Elon is the most important person in our time, and why Tesla already won on EV.

His arguments are so clear, I think shorts don't want more people to see it. I hope someone has better memory can write those down.