Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only a couple of weeks ago Audi claimed (in an article in De Tijd) that they expected to sell 2500 e-trons in 2019 in Belgium. They’re nowhere near the selling rate required to,achieve that.

They're going to need a car with more than 195 miles of range if they want to do that...

(Seriously, the real life range numbers on the Etron are soooo disappointing.)

She is writing for the Detroit Free Press? Doesn’t she know that Michigan Tesla owners pay about $200 more per year to cover Michigan gas tax? Unreal.

Gotta love this line: “
The Chevrolet Bolt is "the real Model 3," for a lot less money, Appleton said. "The average price of Model 3 last year was $57,000, you can buy a Bolt for $37,000, and the Bolt is every bit desirable a vehicle as the Tesla."

Wow. Talk about skewing numbers. You can buy a Model 3 for a bit over 35k.

Hardly anybody is going to choose a $37k bolt over a $39k SR+.

MUG_TEMPLATE3_1_1024x1024.png
Best summation of herd mentality ever.

Culturally, the parents dictates the eligibility standards. The parents ALSO provide their only child to the best of their abilities to qualify. It's very common to see parents selling their more expensive prime located real estate and downsize, giving a portion of the sold price to their son's condo+car.

Girls know better who to bring home and get consent. Are you Chinese? Your ethnicity and location of living changes the eligibility standard. A Chinese who are going to stay in China is different than a white person who will take the girl over to the states.

The plates things getting some people excited here would be completely irrelevant as Being has too many cars already, anything that aiming at getting around that regulation seems shady and fishy. Much more relevant number is how many people who already have a car would switch to Tesla so they can use their car every day, and save tens of thousands on gas money per year.

What you said is typical stereotype only applies to a small portion of stupid people somehow thinking they're the main stream, while losing relevance every day. Nowadays Beijing has more people from other places than traditional locals. Many singles with relatively high income are highly educated working in IT firms who do not relies on their parents financial help and need no consent from their parents. Even from the parents point of view, a car is nothing comparing to a job at top IT firms in China.

BTW I'm Chinese grew up in northern China went to the one of the top Universities in Beijing. My classmates back home express no interest in interfering their kids lives. Using a stupid car as a criterion for choosing future in laws is an insult to their intelligent and financial stands.

Funny to see all these large companies joining their forces in order to build an EV or charging infrastructure etc. whereas Tesla is doing it all on its own.
Ya know. If that’s what it takes, more power to them. But if THAT doesn’t work, I don’t know what their path forward is.

Reactions: UncaNed and capster
The plates things getting some people excited here would be completely irrelevant as Being has too many cars already, anything that aiming at getting around that regulation seems shady and fishy. Much more relevant number is how many people who already have a car would switch to Tesla so they can use their car every day, and save tens of thousands on gas money per year.

What you said is typical stereotype only applies to a small portion of stupid people somehow thinking they're the main stream, while losing relevance every day. Nowadays Beijing has more people from other places than traditional locals. Many singles with relatively high income are highly educated working in IT firms who do not relies on their parents financial help and need no consent from their parents. Even from the parents point of view, a car is nothing comparing to a job at top IT firms in China.

BTW I'm Chinese grew up in northern China went to the one of the top Universities in Beijing. My classmates back home express no interest in interfering their kids lives. Using a stupid car as a criterion for choosing future in laws is an insult to their intelligent and financial stands.

"Small portion of stupid people" said by a guy who went to a top University in Beijing. You are literally imposing your situation, which accounts to be the smallest segment of kids in China, as the general consensus. That's like kids who graduated from MIT and works at Google see the world.

The majority of kids in Beijing are not wealthy or can work for Alibaba and rely on their parents..not the other way around.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
This article is hilarious.

GM, FCA strike a deal with Tesla that consumers subsidize

Here’s a sample:

General Motors is hedging its bets to meet national emissions standards by turning to Tesla Inc. as insurance of sorts.

People who buy gasoline-powered cars ultimately foot the bill.

But this revelation should open consumers' eyes that every gasoline-powered car they buy subsidizes Tesla's existence, say industry observers.

Appleton said if people understood how the industry works, they'd be "embarrassed to drive a Tesla because their neighbor would say, 'When are you going to thank me for subsidizing that high-tech piece of status symbol you drive?'”

"And that’s just the beginning," said Appleton. "A $100,000 Tesla avoids $6,625 in state sales tax and last year that same car came with a $7,500 federal tax credit. In other words, Tesla buyers helped themselves to a nearly $16,000 subsidy, resulting in higher taxes and higher car prices for everyone else. Oh, and let’s not forget, Tesla owners pay no gas tax to support the roads they travel."

Pretty sure the ICE manufacturers are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. The last paragraph says this:

"Tesla has only survived as long as it has because of the generous government exemptions it receives at the state and federal levels," said Appleton. "The clean air credits have allowed Tesla to stay in business as long as it has because middle class car buyers have floated it."

When it should say this:

“GM has only survived as long as it has because of the generous government carbon exemptions it receives at the state and federal levels. The clean air credits allow GM to sell high emission cars and stay in business as long as it has because middle class car buyers have floated it by buying Teslas."

large companies joining their forces in order to build an EV or charging infrastructure etc.

That article is about parts, car parts
"shared development, production planning and joint purchasing"
I read that as "batteries, what about the darn batteries?"

Remus, for people who currently arent allowed to buy a car,
getting a plate from TSLA would be a welcome opportunity, right?

Reactions: neroden and MikkoJ
"Small portion of stupid people" said by a guy who went to a top University in Beijing. You are literally imposing your situation, which accounts to be the smallest segment of kids in China, as the general consensus. That's like kids who graduated from MIT and works at Google see the world.

The majority of kids in Beijing are not wealthy or can work for Alibaba and rely on their parents..not the other way around.
We are talking about the addressable market of Tesla Model 3 LR here, who cares about the people who can't feed themselves?

Critical look at ARK's Tesla model. Outline version so you don't have to register for anything:
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Thanks very much, JRP. I wondered if that article was just a hit piece or had substance. (I didn't know the author Jamie Powell.)

In addition to the sneering tone and one legitimate criticism of Ark's typo (which Ark acknowledged and fixed), Powell's criticism is:

1) Questioning Ark's motives for their price targets. (Does he apply the same standard to Adam Jonas?)

2) Dismissing Ark's bull case model without evidence.

3) Quoting Aswath Damodaran's dismissal of Ark's bull case, which was done without evidence.

For #2, Powell says: "if you input that Tesla only sells one car in 2023 into the “bull” section of the model, Tesla's shares still appreciate to $391, thanks to the recurring profits from an autonomous taxi fleet of 7.2m cars." Well duh. Autonomous taxis could be quite profitable. Powell's analysis consists of one word: "Sure."

For #3, Powell quotes Professor Damodaran in bold-face: "As for the bull case, I will leave it untouched, since it strikes me as more fairy tale than valuation."

A fair article would point out that neither Powell nor Damodaran know anything about autonomous car technology, while Ark does. Ark has four analysts following Tesla, including one who worked on Nvidia. He/she knows more about the hardware and software demonstrated at Tesla's Autonomy Day than does the Stern School of Business professor.

So I won't bother subscribing to Financial Times to read Jamie Powell.

Only a couple of weeks ago Audi claimed (in an article in De Tijd) that they expected to sell 2500 e-trons in 2019 in Belgium. They’re nowhere near the selling rate required to,achieve that.

Are they even near the production rate?

Is LG even supplying enough batteries?

Tune in for the next exciting episode....

Fire Away!:D