Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the stock does keep rising it will surely be in stutter steps right? I assume many people are still a little fearful and would use small jumps as a good time to reduce exposure.

Actually, the claim that Tesla is subsidized is a perfect example of a Big Lie told with a straight face, because in reality it's the other way around, every gascar sale is subsidized by future generations by more than $50k of money, pain, hurt, suffering and death of vulnerable people, according to these estimates:
I assume that is just the environmental impacts. How much money have we spent in defense spending and wars over the years to keep oil stable? Iraq 2 alone is 3 or 4 trillion. Arguably every single war in the middle east had it's roots in oil concerns. I can make hyperbolic claims too. 9/11 was caused by our dependence on oil. We would not have bothered to interfere in regional polticis by supporting Iraq, and then needed to defend our oil ally the Saudis from Iraq which precipitated the desire in Bin Laden's head to attack the US for daring to place infidels on holy land etc.

Hey, this is kinda fun.
I'm hoping the negativity and shorting is the inverse of a bubble. Instead of hyping up a stock and inflating it until it pops, they are compressing it until it explodes.
It can definitely be the same thing. Group think/herd mentality, greed, basing future performance on past performance...

Why exactly was there such a strong reversal? Another Wall Street pump scheme?

Which reversal? If you mean the drop this morning, that happens a lot. If you mean starting yesterday, IMO the stock was massively oversold and everyone knew it but was waiting for a bottom to get back in. With the very good macro day yesterday pushing the price up, more and more people were convinced it found one and bought back in.

Which reversal? If you mean the drop this morning, that happens a lot. If you mean starting yesterday, IMO the stock was massively oversold and everyone knew it but was waiting for a bottom to get back in. With the very good macro day yesterday pushing the price up, more and more people were convinced it found one and bought back in.

I agree everyone was waiting for the bottom, recognizing a massively oversold stock.

Specific triggers, IMHO:

1. Some dude on CNBC said "now's the time for shorts to close their position.
2. Good InsideEV numbers for the US, barely preceded (perhaps with inside info) by Adam Bone-ass's "well, TSLA isn't really that bad" statements, coupled with macroeconomic headwinds.

This was enough for the market to say "OK, this is the bottom. Time to buy back and profit back on the way up."

This article is hilarious.

GM, FCA strike a deal with Tesla that consumers subsidize

Here’s a sample:

General Motors is hedging its bets to meet national emissions standards by turning to Tesla Inc. as insurance of sorts.

People who buy gasoline-powered cars ultimately foot the bill.

But this revelation should open consumers' eyes that every gasoline-powered car they buy subsidizes Tesla's existence, say industry observers.

Appleton said if people understood how the industry works, they'd be "embarrassed to drive a Tesla because their neighbor would say, 'When are you going to thank me for subsidizing that high-tech piece of status symbol you drive?'”

"And that’s just the beginning," said Appleton. "A $100,000 Tesla avoids $6,625 in state sales tax and last year that same car came with a $7,500 federal tax credit. In other words, Tesla buyers helped themselves to a nearly $16,000 subsidy, resulting in higher taxes and higher car prices for everyone else. Oh, and let’s not forget, Tesla owners pay no gas tax to support the roads they travel."

Yeah, consumers should just stick it to Tesla, and refuse to buy an gas-cars...;)

MUG_TEMPLATE3_1_1024x1024.png

The comments are typical FUD but I won't bother to sign up to debunk them. Appleton clears knowingly lies.
Actually the comments I read were mostly debunking Appleton and richly deserved by that idiot. But as you say, I'm not going to sign up to that publication, have no desire to read the Detroit Free Press...

Reactions: neroden
As you can see people saying the Audi E-tron is not a success aren't well informed; it sells quite well. There is a non-refundable charge if you want to cancel, BTW, and delivery times are excruciatingly long. Ditto for the Kona.
Only a couple of weeks ago Audi claimed (in an article in De Tijd) that they expected to sell 2500 e-trons in 2019 in Belgium. They’re nowhere near the selling rate required to,achieve that.

Here’s a sample:

General Motors is hedging its bets to meet national emissions standards by turning to Tesla Inc. as insurance of sorts.

People who buy gasoline-powered cars ultimately foot the bill.

But this revelation should open consumers' eyes that every gasoline-powered car they buy subsidizes Tesla's existence, say industry observers.

Appleton said if people understood how the industry works, they'd be "embarrassed to drive a Tesla because their neighbor would say, 'When are you going to thank me for subsidizing that high-tech piece of status symbol you drive?'”

"And that’s just the beginning," said Appleton. "A $100,000 Tesla avoids $6,625 in state sales tax and last year that same car came with a $7,500 federal tax credit. In other words, Tesla buyers helped themselves to a nearly $16,000 subsidy, resulting in higher taxes and higher car prices for everyone else. Oh, and let’s not forget, Tesla owners pay no gas tax to support the roads they travel."

She is writing for the Detroit Free Press? Doesn’t she know that Michigan Tesla owners pay about $200 more per year to cover Michigan gas tax? Unreal.

Gotta love this line: “
The Chevrolet Bolt is "the real Model 3," for a lot less money, Appleton said. "The average price of Model 3 last year was $57,000, you can buy a Bolt for $37,000, and the Bolt is every bit desirable a vehicle as the Tesla."

Wow. Talk about spinning the situation. Pretty sad they have to resort to this.

Last edited:

Oh, man. I'd pray for the day someone said that to me.

My response: I’ll thank you right now. Thanks for recognizing my car is high-tech while yours is from a manufacturer that would rather shovel money to a competitor than invest in low-emission technology.

Last edited:
Here's the situaltion for EVs in Beijing right now:
  • max. 60K new licence plates issued per year
  • current backlog (queue) is 420K applications
  • that means a 7 yr wait for a new plate
Here's the deal new Tesla drivers get in Beijing right now:
  • 0% interest on a 3-yr lease
  • free EV plate with every lease (skip the queue)
  • ICE cars can only drive on alternate days
Now I ask you, how is this not front page news on WSJ/Bloomberg/NYTimes/CNBC? Oh yeah, it doesn't fit their *sugar* story...

Wow, especially that last sentence. Can you tweet this and/or get one of the TMC folks with a good twitter following to tweet it, like @SPadival , @KarenRei , @Lycanthrope, etc ?