Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekend Off-Planet:

Fun Fact: Elon's midnight cherry red Roadster has now achieved a fuel economy over 5,000 MPG (2,160.3 km/liter, 0.04629 liters/100 km) using 126,000 gallons of fuel.

Elon.cherryredRoadster.jpg

Cheers!

Correct me if I'm wrong. If Tesla's doesn't make a profit, they don't pay any income taxes, so the credit is worthless.

I do not pretend to be a tax expert but Tesla Finance which was set up in 2014 IIRC probably can offset the profit they make by using the tax credit from leasing.

others may reply with a better/different explanation but that is my opinion.

similar to GMfinance does with their leasing program

And what about methane emissions particularly as it melts in permafrost and the oceans?
@Intl Professor
Illegal Artic weapons cache, somebody tries to nuke it, misses a teeny tiny bit, melts a lot of permafrost, releases a lot of CH4 clathrates
monster hurricanes that kill a few billions, wipes out Ireland, Japan, Hawaii, a "deus ex mechina" is necessary to resolve
Mother of Storms - Wikipedia

Speaking of Prius, etc. hyundai's new all electric car just had pricing released. $30,000.

2019 Ioniq Electric | Hyundai USA

.... with a range of 124 miles. And I assume in real life it's going to be under 100 miles. I can't imagine trying to travel in this thing.

For only 14% more money, you could get double the range with the SR.

Edit: Looks like Hyundai still gets the 7.5k tax credit, so they're working with an advantage on Tesla with pricing. I really don't like that companies like volvo have sub companies like Polestar. VW has Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, etc. And each of the sub companies gets their own tax credit to burn independently.

Last edited:
Speaking of Prius, etc. hyundai's new all electric car just had pricing released. $30,000.

.... with a range of 124 miles. And I assume in real life it's going to be under 100 miles. I can't imagine trying to travel in this thing.

... and similar highway efficiency, vastly better performance, far faster charging from a better network, more space, a nicer interior, and more tech. ;)

I thought Ioniq was getting a battery upgrade this year? I guess not yet.

Edit: Looks like Hyundai still gets the 7.5k tax credit, so they're working with an advantage on Tesla with pricing. I really don't like that companies like volvo have sub companies like Polestar. VW has Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, etc. And each of the sub companies gets their own tax credit to burn independently.

If you want the 8” touchscreen (instead of 7”) and lane assist then it’s $36,815. Not a great deal compared to SR+. Still good news for transitioning the world from ICE, generating EV interest and free advertising for Tesla.

1514471D-37A5-4D8D-9687-B29EA643B7D6.jpeg
07A391A9-6C72-4D8F-97EE-634EF631E682.jpeg

Elon needs to found Tezzla Motors that will be releasing an all-electric Crossover and Mad Max Truck in the next 2 years. ;)

It appears that the gravity of these issues is largely dependent on the area and the availability of Tesla’s internal body shop team. For example, my dad was involved in a minor fender bender in Houston a few weeks ago that damaged his rear bumper and his experience was radically different than that of the gentlemen in the video. He was quoted $600 for the repairs, went in to have the work done on Memorial Day and he was back on the road by lunchtime. Granted, the damage was comparatively less severe but, even when accounting for that, I find the quoted repair costs in the video quite excessive.[/QUOTE

The video features a previous video featuring friend and car “expert” Anton Wahlman. I question it’s legitimacy. The accident is not necessarily accidental. Repair prices quoted are retail and have no relation to what their insurance will actually pay. Even the timeline is suspect. Eventually they will get the car repaired and then sell it, after gaining lots of clicks and notoriety. Well worth it for them.

• Informative
Reactions: M|S|W
The video features a previous video featuring friend and car “expert” Anton Wahlman. I question it’s legitimacy. The accident is not necessarily accidental. Repair prices quoted are retail and have no relation to what their insurance will actually pay. Even the timeline is suspect. Eventually they will get the car repaired and then sell it, after gaining lots of clicks and notoriety. Well worth it for them

Exactly! I watched the first video (the actual "accident" when it was first published) and when I saw him back into the concrete block opening for the garage door I was in disbelief. Because there were no distractions and no complications. This is the easiest back-up maneuver there is. Because you have two mirrors and the sides of the garage opening are vertical. All you have to do is be approximately centered in the opening. It's not like he scraped the side of the car while making a minor correction, he was too close to the driver's side (the easiest side) by more than a foot. And then the way he reacted to it was so fake. I got the feeling he was already bemoaning how long this was going to take and how expensive it would be (while being super charged up that he had just crashed a car on purpose).

I didn't even know Anton Wahlman was somehow affiliated with them!

Now the follow-up video has double-confirmed my impression. It's disgusting what people will do for money.

“White House poised to relax mileage standards, rebuffing automakers and setting up probable fight with California
17 U.S. automakers wrote to President Trump and California Gov. Gavin Newsom, urging them to “resurrect” talks and find consensus.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...c1174c-8939-11e9-98c1-e945ae5db8fb_story.html

Any opinions on how this might affect EV sales? Obviously, EVs get to avoid the cluster-f$$k of multiple emission standards depending on state. Of course, this whole thing might get tied up in court for a long time.

The problem is that in some parts of the country (not many, and ones with messed up utilities at that), electricity is higher than monthly gasoline cost for an efficient vehicle (which the people cross-shopping on cost are probably comparing to). Which would make a battery lease even more expensive...

Here in Ohio, for what it's worth... if you cross-shop against a Prius...

A Model 3 SR+ is 254 Wh/mi, I pay ~$0.13/kWh (and I could pay less if I weren't on a 100% renewable plan), so it'd be 3.3 cents per mile in a SR+.

A Prius gets ~52 MPG, gas was $2.50/gal today, so it'd be 4.8 cents per mile in a Prius.

At 1000 miles per month, that would only support a $15/mo battery lease.
If Ohio offers a discount for off peak charging this calculation could be incorrect.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It seems many people are expecting a loss this quarter which I do not understand. They made a profit in Q3 and Q4 with Elon promising profits into the future. I understand the loss in Q1 as the international deliveries had more hiccups than expected and they had a $920M bond repayment. But by all indicators deliveries should at least equal Q3 and hopefully be better than Q4. Why are many so worried do we think profit is that dependent on product mix?

“White House poised to relax mileage standards, rebuffing automakers and setting up probable fight with California
17 U.S. automakers wrote to President Trump and California Gov. Gavin Newsom, urging them to “resurrect” talks and find consensus.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...c1174c-8939-11e9-98c1-e945ae5db8fb_story.html

Any opinions on how this might affect EV sales? Obviously, EVs get to avoid the cluster-f$$k of multiple emission standards depending on state. Of course, this whole thing might get tied up in court for a long time.
Question is does it affect Tesla's GHG credits. If not, it as no effect on Tesla.

Ofcourse, its not just CA. There is no reason to think CA and other blue states will go the other way when there is tremendous pressure to act quickly on climate change.

Thirteen states and the District of Columbia have signed on to adopting whatever tailpipe standards California sets.

Perhaps Tesla should sell the Roadster under the Spacex brand.

Are there friend of the court filings from Colorado and New York and other states that are following or moving to California standards?

The next largest car market is the Chinese middle class, whose size is greater than the entire US population. US automakers should really be concerned about what overseas regulations are, including transition to EV sales. This recent walking back on mileage standards will basically ensure US automakers will not be competitive in the near future of the global auto marketplace...

Here is a very revealing article on where Cruise is at, in terms of FSD. Industry analysts rank Cruise only behind Waymo when it comes to FSD.

Cruise’s Secret ‘Apollo’ Robotaxi Milestones (Paywall see the comments)

Here is the most damning piece. Cruise is expected to be just 10% of where Human drivers are on average. So, they have one more 9 to go before reaching human level.

They also highlight that even after years of progress, Cruise still doesn’t expect its automated driving system to match human performance. Instead, based on the company’s 2017 calculations, the system it has at the end of this year is expected to be 5% to 11% as safe as human-level driving, in terms of the frequency of crashes.

So, what happened ?

What is clear from the documents is that Cruise misjudged how quickly its software would reach the final milestone, known as Apollo. Engineers led by then-CEO Kyle Vogt believed that partly by hiring more people Cruise would be able to improve its software exponentially. Instead, Cruise and other major programs in the industry improved quickly at first, but then saw diminishing returns from software development.

They also drive very few miles.

With more employees and better simulations to test early versions of road software, Cruise leaders said they believed the company would see “continued exponential increases in miles between” incidents. They added that “as we near the final milestone, we will be driving nearly one million miles per month across our validation fleet” and that doing so would help identify and fix bugs frequently. That hasn’t turned out to be the case, either. Cruise said it drove less than half a million miles during the 12 months that ended in November of last year, and the software still has bugs.

They face difficulty in proving their FSD is better than humans too, whenever it gets there. This is one place where definitely Tesla is in a better position. Tesla fleet can drive 40 million miles every month ;)

Any reduction in the number of miles Cruise drives will make it harder for the company to compare its technology to regular cars. As it is, Cruise vehicles would have to drive 43 million miles for Cruise to believe with 80% confidence that its vehicles are marginally safer than human-driven cars—defined as causing 15% fewer crashes (of a Level 1, 2 and 3 variety), the documents show. Driving that many miles “in a reasonable amount of time” would be “infeasible,” the documents say.

There is also this very useful metric in terms of # of crashes for avg human drivers that Cruise is using as the base. So, as I suspected when we take all accidents, including scraping your tire on the curb, in to account, the number of accidents go up to about 1 every 10,000 miles or 99.99 % (4 nines). When only major accidents are taken it is 1 every 282k miles or 99.9996% (6 nines).

Miles between incidents for regular cars (according to Cruise’s modified version of Virginia Tech study, which removes crashes on highways and rural roads):

Miles between Level 1 incidents: 282,485
Miles between Level 1 and 2 incidents: 99,404
Miles between Level 1, 2 and 3 incidents: 20,661
Miles between Level 1, 2, 3 and 4 incidents: 9,218

ps :
Currently Cruise has passed milestone #2. So, they currently have a major crash every 3 months, instead of human average of once every 25 years ! They do not even have targets for smaller crashes.

Titan

Safety critical events: 3,000 miles per L1 event

Mission failures: 30 miles per event

Total miles required: 9,000 miles

Ride quality: 20% better than Sputnik
In early 2017 Cruise was doing this. So, we can compare the progress and see what they have done in 2 years.

Over 600 miles of testing in early 2017, Cruise vehicles had 27 “safety critical events”—including nine severe, or “L1,” events—ranging from an inability to recognize pedestrians, navigation issues, challenges in predicting the movement of objects and two “pedestrian politeness” incidents in which vehicles did not give pedestrians enough space while moving around them.
So, from 9 L1 events in 600 miles (or one every 67 miles) they have come to 1 every 3,000 miles. So, they gained nearly 2 Nines in 2 years (98.50% to 99.97%). This is quite good - but the problem is they have hit a plateau and not improving much now.

So, the question to Tesla is - how are they different ? Is it just access to training data or is there something else ?

Last edited: