Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
answer is..nope we are not going to advertise.
Advertising is expensive and won't necessarily solve the problem. I think more down home Tesla sponsored weekend shows, in conjunction with the local Tesla owners groups, would be a better way to address the problem, with local news coverage paramount.

Yes. Elon says he's at a loss here. It seems obvious to me that Tesla would benefit from some informative, targeted advertising. (No, I'm not in the ad business!)

I could see this superimposed on the YouTube feed while Elon was responding to that one...

giphy.gif

We get it. Elon doesn't want to advertise. But some small targeted marketing would go a long way. The questioner's point is valid: lots of otherwise smart folks believe the company is doomed. That's a problem. The current approach isn't sufficient as the company aims to continue growing at a high rate.

Advertising is expensive and won't necessarily solve the problem. I think more down home Tesla sponsored weekend shows, in conjunction with the local Tesla owners groups, would be a better way to address the problem, with local news coverage paramount.

This is and has been happening already for years, on a wide scale. Local news coverage doesn't happen (much).

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm not convinced of that.

The awesome part is you don't have to be. Tesla's already at a scale where they could launch significant-reach campaigns for mouse nuts relative to their overall revenue stream.

I'll repeat: a large, large quantity of people think the company is doomed. That's a problem. Current approach doesn't change those folks' minds. It's true that eventually enough family/friends will own EVs that this will change. But Tesla's not aiming to grow at 5%/year. They're shooting for 50%+/year. The relative proportion of people who think the company is doomed needs to shrink, and quickly.

Yes. Elon says he's at a loss here. It seems obvious to me that Tesla would benefit from some informative, targeted advertising. (No, I'm not in the ad business!)
Why can't they put PR team together who focus on this? Get crowdsourced suggestions, try whatever they can come up with rather than the current state of "we don't know what to do"?
He doesn't have to solve this problem himself.
I'm a bit disappointed with the answer.
"We'll put rebuttals on one web page..." who's going to look for it there?

The awesome part is you don't have to be. Tesla's already at a scale where they could launch significant-reach campaigns for mouse nuts relative to their overall revenue stream.

I'll repeat: a large, large quantity of people think the company is doomed. That's a problem.
Yes it's a problem, but when almost every large media outlet is pushing out large amounts of FUD on a daily basis I think you'd need quite a large campaign to make a difference.

"There's a lot of complexity in parking lots [it] turns out." - Elon

Musk on getting cameras to recognize rain: “turns out to be harder than we thought”

Musk on FSD in a year “turns out to be harder than we thought”

A little less hubris maybe, Elon.

Also is Elon ever gonna answer why he’s opposed to advertising besides some philosophical reason? His advertising stance is just straight up stupid.