Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT

I am always impressed with my wonderful continental colleague's (soon to be EU scum...:oops:) ability to type the queen's English better than I. So much so, I feel the pressure to fit my language to the norm here. You will all have a lot to answer for when I start calling cars "autos" back here in Blighty! Tires not tyres - the list goes on...
colleagues’

Unfortunately, German-style deliberate regulatory sabotage of Tesla is a trick which is still allowed in Europe!

You are right. This is supremely frustrating for me as a German living in Germany interested in Tesla (and all EV). The auto-lobby is incredibly powerful and well connected here. These types of regulatory sabotages are driven by the legacy ICE industry. They sit on the relevant “industry associations” in Berlin and define policy...

I sat on the technical committee of the German solar industry association as a representative of my then employer - we basically defined technical policy and more importantly provided language to the ministry of environment or industry........same happens with Auto.....and this is exactly why these sort of interpretations of E.U. regulations become law in davor if the legacy ICE industry.

....anecdotally I do think that the kind of lobbying we did at the Solar association was good for mankind: Germany has/had the most prolific installation of grid-connected solar PV in the world.

Tesla has roadside assistance that includes flat tires(they take the whole wheel to the service center and give a loaner wheel in the meantime). They’re supposed to let you know whether the tire can be repaired or needs to be replaced and ask for authorization to do it.
In Europe Tesla always replaces the tire, no matter what. I had a nail in a tire once, and they replaced the tire with a new one. No sure why, it may be safety reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Unfortunately, German-style deliberate regulatory sabotage of Tesla is a trick which is still allowed in Europe!

I think those days are almost over. Laws are set at the European level anyway, leaving only interpretation differences at the country level. I’d say that most of the German regulatory influence is mostly towards protecting their ICE industry and much less towards sabotaging Tesla.
I only know of 2 German situations that impacted Tesla:
- EV purchase subsidies excluding Model X and S because of a price limit. That is (confirmed to be) not an issue for Model 3.
- Strict interpretation of the CCS euro law: in the long run this will be a good thing for Tesla: all of Europe’s EV’s will be able to fast charge using CCS. Tesla drivers will benefit from better coverage built for non Tesla EV’s. It’s up to Tesla to decide whether to keep the SUC network closed is better than opening it up to all (at least high charge rate capable) EV’s, but my vote is opening it up to all EVs, so that EV drivers from other brands would also start caring about ICEing (which is a bigger issue in my area than having public chargers in the first place).
Also, since last summer, the ads from the German brands have started to promote EV’s, probably to prepare the public for the introduction of their Tesla-killers. Audi has been running very frequent ads for the e-tron a year before it became available.

To be fair I heard NUMI was mostly an assembly factory. Tesla seems to be making a LOT of the parts and sub assemblies there as well.

True.

Tesla is also pushing things out of Fremont main factory.

At Gigafactory, Lanthrop machine/plastics shop, purchased Solydra building in Fremont ( to make seats?).

Plus Tesla also has suppliers.

• Informative
Einhorn.png

David Tayar on Twitter

Working over the Lunar New Year on a construction project? Wow.... Always awesome to have your host want to use your project as a big public ad for their ability to bring foreign business projects to fruition quickly ;)

People are going to be blown away by how fast this comes together.

10 months faster than other constructions! That is a lot.

Thats unprecedented and shows the influence Tesla has and the strong backing of the Shanghai officials.

Already posted (Thanks!) but some more details and information.....

Vincent‏ @vincent13031925
1. Chinese gov media CCTV reported: Construction company said they speeding up the @Tesla Shanghai Gigafactory project and did not receive the Lunar New Year holiday notice. Official video link: http://tv.cctv.com/v/v1/VIDEFRUe46kMgZOLQUg98aOM190124.html … $TSLA #Tesla #China #TeslaChina #GF3 #特斯拉

DxvY9gWUYAAUT_r.jpg

DxvY9itU8AAQEWf.jpg

DxvY9qqV4AAvMze.jpg

DxvY9suV4AIlGzn.jpg

11:37 PM - 24 Jan 2019

1. 21m21 minutes ago
      2. Chen Jie, Shanghai Lingang Development & Construction Mgt Committee: In order to speed up the @Tesla Shanghai GF3 construction, the Shanghai Lingang Gov changed the construction approval. Normal approval takes 15 months & #Tesla project only took 5 months. $TSLA #TeslaChina

DxvapE7U8AA9x0D.jpg

DxvapGrV4AAm9lp.jpg

Vincent on Twitter

Last edited:
My super-optimistic prediction is Tesla will begin production of Model Y, in Fremont, in Q3

the last public statement I remember was from Elon, and as I recall it, it was expect Y production roughly 18 months after its reveal (thought to be coming up in two months). I don't remember exactly when that was said, and, I have seen Elon also say early 2020 at the earliest (that statement I believe was from May of 2018).

Last edited:
  • Informative
You are right. This is supremely frustrating for me as a German living in Germany interested in Tesla (and all EV). The auto-lobby is incredibly powerful and well connected here. These types of regulatory sabotages are driven by the legacy ICE industry. They sit on the relevant “industry associations” in Berlin and define policy...

I sat on the technical committee of the German solar industry association as a representative of my then employer - we basically defined technical policy and more importantly provided language to the ministry of environment or industry........same happens with Auto.....and this is exactly why these sort of interpretations of E.U. regulations become law in davor if the legacy ICE industry.

....anecdotally I do think that the kind of lobbying we did at the Solar association was good for mankind: Germany has/had the most prolific installation of grid-connected solar PV in the world.

I believe Germany is not different in terms of lobby organizations versus other countries it just happened that we have a large Auto industry and the lobby industry around it has been growing accordingly. If you have high profits we all should not wonder that the efforts to protect them are high as well.

Given that I was not surprised that the BEV incentives for the base model S has been cancelled although Tesla did offer the base model. That discourse went in front of a court even. This is now not of importance any more as the small S is not longer offered.

Having a 3 ordered I was curious what will happen to the €4k incentive the German government gives for Buyers of BEVs under the purchase price below €60k (including VAT). On paper and per law the 3 clearly qualifies but I did and still do assume lobby groups will torpedo it for Tesla.

Now since a few days it has been officially approved and lets hope it does stay. €4k makes a difference for many buyers and in my opinion it should be increased. Germany has still an issue with emissions and Germany has absolutely no issue with budgets.

Instead the program ends end of June and given that Tesla is the one that will profit from it most I expect that lobby groups will try to end that incentive or lets say make sure its not extended.

If I remember correctly the budget they put into place was €600 million and only a fraction has been called as automakers just did not deliver a reasonable BEV below €60k. The argumentation for the €60k ceiling was that people who pay more for a car do not care about 4k. I don't believe that is true.

Its almost like you say for a BEV above €60k the reduced emissions do not matter because this are rich people.

Lets hope some sane forces come together in Germany and make sure the program is extended beyond June 30th.

Onverkoopbare diesels maken leaseauto duurder

In short: secondhand diesel become unsellable, with prices falling 11% last year, causing diesel lease prices to go up 2 to 4% compared to last year due to lower resell value at the end of lease. Even export to other countries becomes difficult as those countries also start to have cities with diesel bans.