Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with keeping the old lines is continuing to be able to sell the old product. If the new battery cells are 20% lighter for the same energy capacity, and 20% cheaper per watt hr, who will buy them? Make them available for Pickup or Semi only? Then how much Osborning occurs with potential customers deferring their purchase until they can get the 'state-of-the-art' batteries? We've already seen this in play with Model S/X purchases being delayed pending a mythical switch to 2170s, even when there is NO ACTUAL difference between them and 18650s in terms of energy density or chemistry/life span. Also, Tesla doesn not have the space to build new DBE lines at GF1 w/o removing some of the existing bty cell lines. They may be able to retain a few old lines if they keep the ones intended for storage products, but even then DBE process cells have 2x the life of wet slurry electrode cells, a characteristic which is MOST important for storage products (think 20yrs life rather than 10).

TL;dr Tesla will replace the old Panasonic cell lines as quickly as possible.
I'd assume the old batteries could be used for stationary storage. Unlikely anyone will care if they are not state of the art.

My thought is that the new lines could be so efficient that it's just not worth the additional unit costs of using the old lines as the batteries produced the old way won't be cost competitive.

GF1 does have plenty of room to expand by building more of the building if they do want to keep the old lines.

Reactions: Thumper and Thekiwi
Great observations.

Consider too that Drew Baglino has been an essential (but not in limelight) part of the team for ages. He's now well positioned to take over many of J.B.'s duties. Tesla has a unique culture and I think promoting from within will be the company's best strategy going forward. By the time someone outside of Tesla has acquired the talent to be a top decision maker, they're most often no longer of a disposition to transition into the pressure cooker, working with Elon, and their time at the company is typically short. Additionally, changing strategies on a dime to something unconventional when needed is likely foreign to most non-Tesla types.
I think Tesla has existed long enough for employees to grow and take over higher positions rather than hiring from outside. I expect this trend to continue

I think Tesla has existed long enough for employees to grow and take over higher positions rather than hiring from outside. I expect this trend to continue

There were some departures of high profile people who came from outside (legal comes to mind and some people who had come from big car brands). They were probably used to a more laid back work environment, where business as usual is the motto.

It may have caused a shift in policy: reduce high profile outside hires and go for inside talent (people who are used to the high pressure work environment and are thriving under it).

What do you mean by China may be paying to build GF3? You mean China owns the building? I thought Tesla got a local loan for the build out.

I was wondering about the same thing as @ReflexFunds: regardless of the source of funding, Tesla has to book all GF3 cash expenses as capex (or opex with a special note) - like they did when they paid for the land area lease in Q4.

This didn't seem to happen in Q1 or Q2: reported capex dropped further.

This suggests the possibility that it is the Shanghai government who is paying for GF3 construction costs: the main building, the utilities and the road network - while Tesla is paying for the production equipment. Tesla has not disclosed the specifics of their agreement with the Chinese government yet.

Ok, Be honest,

Who has ever considered the concept of a TKWh?

Hey:

BTW., I really like it how the Chinese have coined it the "Tesla Super Factory" - which naming would save Tesla an awkward re-branding effort in a couple of years, when they'll be forced to explain why their factories that are spewing out terawatt-hours of batteries per year are called 'giga' factories. ;)

But I have to admit that despite being an incorrigible Tesla optimist, even I didn't expect an early 2020 "show and tell" of the roadmap to Terafactories!!:D

Last edited:
They said tera kilowatt hours. I.e. petawatts.

Oh!

A Petafactory I only expect to be built on Mars, by the Fifth Masterplan of Musk Industries, using the vast resources of the Main Asteroid Belt. (The "Yottapack" will have the size of a small moon, with a large parabolic dish painted on it as an arcane joke.)

While the successful Starship test yesterday was arguably a good first step (hop) in that direction, I think it's probably still too early to lay out a specific roadmap. :D

What do you mean by China may be paying to build GF3? You mean China owns the building? I thought Tesla got a local loan for the build out.

I was wondering about the same thing as @ReflexFunds: regardless of the source of funding, Tesla has to book all GF3 cash expenses as capex (or opex with a special note) - like they did when they paid for the land area lease in Q4.

This didn't seem to happen in Q1 or Q2: reported capex dropped further.

This suggests the possibility that it is the Shanghai government who is paying for GF3 construction costs: the main building, the utilities and the road network - while Tesla is paying for the production equipment. Tesla has not disclosed the specifics of their agreement with the Chinese government yet.

Tesla's $500m Phase 1 capex guidance is just too low to be feasible for full capex of Phase 1 and 3K per week production (c.$7bn annual revenue, $1.5-2bn gross profit). I don't think Tesla is lying though, so the only conclusion is that Tesla themselves are not paying the full capex of Phase 1

They are building:
  • A huge high tech factory at rapid speed with high construction staff overtime
  • Full surrounding infrastructure including roads and electricity stations.
  • Stamping, Body shop, Welding robots, General Assembly Line and Paint shop equipment.
Admittedly they are saving capex on Battery module/pack lines by sending the old LR pack lines from GF1.

In addition to the $500m Phase 1 capex guidance, Tesla did already spend $141m in 2018 on land purchase in Shanghai (accounted as a prepaid 50 year lease rather than capex).

We know Nio previously made a deal with Shanghai for its factory (though China later banned Nio from building the factory until Tesla's is finished). The deal was that Shanghai will build Nio's factory & rent it to Nio for free for 5 years & discounted for another 5 years. Shanghai also offered to guarantee local debt to finance half of Nio's $650m equipment capex.

One bit of info we got from Tesla on GF3 earlier this year was:
"As part of this project, we have agreed with the local government to spend approximately $2 billion in capital expenditures over the next five years (which is already included in our capital expenditure plans), and to generate approximately $270 million of annual tax revenues starting at the end of 2023. We believe the tax revenue target will be easily attainable even if our production were far lower than the volumes we are planning, although if we are unwilling or unable to meet such target or obtain periodic project approvals, we would be compensated for the remaining value of the land lease, buildings and fixtures and revert the site to the government."

I think Tesla's deal is different to Nio's, most likely Tesla do actually own the building, but they are just getting China to pay for it, or at least to offer a far below cost bid for the construction contract. It looks to me like Tesla promised a certain level of tax revenues in return for heavily subsidised construction costs, and if Tesla does not meet the tax targets they have to return the site to China as penalty.

What are your thoughts on the structure of Tesla's deal for GF3? @neroden @Doggydogworld ?

Last edited:
You bring up a good point. I wonder how much S and X sales softness in 2Q was due to the anticipated Raven refresh?

I, for one, decided to replace my three and a half year old X with a Raven X. I suspect a lot of people will be doing this in Q3 since the Raven refresh is a significant enough upgrade.

We are also to the point where there are AP2 cars coming off 3 year leases. This offers a lower cost entry point for someone wanting an S or X. May be part of the removal of SR also since a used 100 (or even 90) could pull sales from new 75s (which, when used, would need to compete with new 3s).

We are also to the point where there are AP2 cars coming off 3 year leases. This offers a lower cost entry point for someone wanting an S or X. May be part of the removal of SR also since a used 100 (or even 90) could pull sales from new 75s (which, when used, would need to compete with new 3s).

This is an interesting point I hadn't considered actually.

Has anyone looked at the total volume of used + new Model S & X car sales this year vs last year? The overall volume of S/X car sales has likely fallen less steeply than just the new market given the increase in off lease cars.

Likely a meaningful contribution to the weaker S/X demand this year.

So looking at the projections posted by Evnow, we should expect revenue growth Yoy to be negative q3 and q4? Is this a first in Tesla's history? Even if Tesla manage to hit guide which is likely, this narrative is not favorable for stocks since many bulls like gali hangs on to this YOY growth number to be very high the past few quarters.

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 8.17.47 AM.png

Here are Production numbers.
To meet 400K-360K guidance we are looking at 9K-7.5K/week.

~ cheers!!

Last edited:
So looking at the projections posted by Evnow, we should expect revenue growth Yoy to be negative q3 and q4? Is this a first in Tesla's history? Even if Tesla manage to hit guide which is likely, this narrative is not favorable for stocks since many bulls like gali hangs on to this YOY growth number to be very high the past few quarters.

Maybe I missed them, but what projections are you looking at? I expect a (very slight) gain**. But one shouldn't forget that going from Q3 '18 to Q3 '19 that's with going from "unlimited preorders" and a $7,5k tax credit in their biggest market, all deliveries domestic, to no preorders in most of its markets and only $1875 tax credit in its biggest market.

** ~10,5% automotive revenue growth, 13% other revenue growth = $7,04B vs. $6,82B.

Just did some math. Sure looks like Raven is going to need a new shift in Q3, or Q4 at the latest, barring unforseen circumstances.

From the ER, we learn that:

* They produced "over 14,500" S/X in Q2
* They delivered 17,722 S/X in Q2
* Inventory has fallen to 18 days of sales

From this we can calculate that they ran a production deficit of "less than" (but probably within 100 of) 3222 S/X. We can also calculate that they have about 3500 S/X in global inventory. Barring:An inexplicable drop in demand (which is growing instead, including the fact that Raven appears to have quite a waitlist on deliveries)
  • A price rise to deliberately reduce demand, earning more margins in exchange (Tesla is usually loathe to do this)
  • Tesla finding a way to produce significantly more S/X with a single shift (would be awesome, but over 20% QoQ growth with existing lines?)
.... they're going to need to add a second shift. If not in Q3, then in early Q4 at the very latest.

A second shift and a higher Raven fraction will hurt FCF but improve net income / profits vs. Q2.

Oh!

A PETAfactory I only expect to be built on Mars, by the Fifth Masterplan of Musk Industries, using the vast resources of the Main Asteroid Belt. (The "Yottapack" will have the size of a small moon, with a large parabolic dish painted on it as an arcane joke.)

While the successful Starship test yesterday was arguably a good first step (hop) in that direction, I think it's probably still too early to lay out a specific roadmap. :D

No comment.......Which is odd for me:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Fact Checking