Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car industry as a whole has headwinds, at least in the US. Teenagers are delaying getting their drivers licenses, and the entire population is slowly moving towards using Uber/lyft more. Uber is so fast and efficient that more and more people are opting not to buy cars at all.

Spoken like someone who lives in a city. I have reading this for years, and it has not come to fruition. Nothing comes close to the freedom of movement one has than having a car.

Despite 'Car-Free' Hype, Millennials Drive a Lot - CityLab

Uber and the like are hurting taxis and mass transit more so than car ownership.

The car industry as a whole has headwinds, at least in the US. Teenagers are delaying getting their drivers licenses, and the entire population is slowly moving towards using Uber/lyft more. Uber is so fast and efficient that more and more people are opting not to buy cars at all.
Unless you actually have to depend on getting a ride. Sometimes they don't even bother to come.

Reactions: Drumheller
Lol I remember when Elon showed us that picture of gf3 when it's finished, and in my mind, I was thinking maybe another 2 years from then, but it looks like it's going to be done in another 2 months. Kinda ridiculous.

All smoke and mirrors, I tell you. ;)

Look, if the Chinese can fake Global Warming, they can fake this! ;)

Spoken like someone who lives in a city. I have reading this for years, and it has not come to fruition. Nothing comes close to the freedom of movement one has than having a car.

Despite 'Car-Free' Hype, Millennials Drive a Lot - CityLab

Uber and the like are hurting taxis and mass transit more so than car ownership.

The report explains that millennials are buying fewer cars for the same reasons as anyone else who buys fewer cars (lower income, living in cities, etc). Millennials are prone to these factors, so they end up buying fewer cars.

Reactions: j6Lpi429@3j
I think the dip coincided with the release of

Tesla Model 3, S & X Sales In U.S. In July 2019

QoQ change (US):

Model 3: +34% (10050->13450)
Model S: +18% (825->975)
Model X: +17% (1050->1225)

For the record, here's what some various changes mean globally (deliveries, revenue, profit), and how much income they represent at a steady $50k ASP and 20% margin:

+5%: 100k, +$238M, +$48M
+10%: 105k, +$476M, +$95M
+15%: 109k, +$714M, +$143M
+20%: 114k, +$952M, +$190M
+25%: 119k, +$1,2B, +$238M
+30%: 124k, +$1,4B, +$286M

As a reminder, Q1->Q2, production grew by 13% and deliveries grew by 51%.

Last edited:
Reminder: InsideEVs numbers come out today. Bears are generally expecting bad numbers based on some graph from some random person claiming to be sales figures from Texas showing a decline relative to April. Bulls are generally expecting it to be good because for example the TrueCar estimate showed 36% growth relative to April, 16,2k sales through 25 july.

And since only Tesla knows what the real sales might be, any estimate is just a guess.

And since only Tesla knows what the real sales might be, any estimate is just a guess.

The numbers matched pretty well. 15650 vs. 16222.

What didn't match so well... the shorts' favourite forecast for this month ;)

lh8y90Cl.jpg:medium

Norwegian papers report that EV sales in Norway is halved in july compared to june.

Kraftig fall i elbilsalget

EV sales in Norway lowest in 12 months, less than half of June.

This newspaper interviewed the Norwegian EV Club aka Elbilforeningen. Their representative belive introduction of road tolls for EVs in several cities has contributed. EVs pay half of what the fossil car pays. Until now EVs had no road tolls. Many people got an EV just to escape the road tolls.

Commenters belive the Tesla wave may be just as important. Tesla had their end of quarter push last month.

Edit: IMHO Nettavisen is pretty tabloid and click-baity.

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold