Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to say that $TSLAQ are great at spinning headlines ;)

upload_2019-8-14_12-10-28.png

I would write "Jaguar slashes price of iPace in an effort to shift 6 months inventory backlog"

if course if they price them realistically in comparison to the competition then they might sell. What's a fair price for an iPace? I would say €55k fully specced, or something like that, currently they start at €80k, which is way too high for what you get.

misleading to make the general statement that coasting is more efficient than regen. That is only true in certain situations, like coasting to a stop with plenty of room on a relatively flat road, and then it’s at the cost of average speed.
Agreed it's far better to covert the energy to electricity, even though there are some energy conversion losses than it is to throw it away as heat. The brake pads last longer as well.

One pedal driving takes some getting used to, but after a while most people prefer it. It’s a shame Porsche doesn’t think it’s drivers can handle it.
Typically it takes about 15 minutes to get used to it and a couple of days to make it automatic.

With all the children dying in cars every year Tesla should add an automatic check for weight using the occupant detection sensor if not changed on the rear seats to see if a child is left in a rear row seat when the driver leaves the vehicle far enough to autolock and notify that a possible child has been left in the car to remind a parent to check. What parent wouldn't want a car that can save their child from a horrible death? Make it selectable in settings for people who have dogs or maybe have Dog Mode inactivate the the check.
Has there even been one child die this way in a Tesla?

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
I stand by my statement, despite how you've misconstrued it. I wrote, "Coasting is more energy efficient than regen PLUS re-accelerate", since Porsche's stance was in regards to highway cruising.

Regardless, even the misconstrued statement is still true. Coasting is more efficient than regen. Just sum up all your energy losses in the system. When coasting, aero drag, drivetrain frictional losses, and tire rolling resistance are your only losses. While in regen, you have all of those things plus the conversion losses of converting magnetic flux back into electric current and then storing it into the battery.

So even with one-pedal driving, driving smoothly is the most efficient. It really helps efficiency to try to keep a constant speed by expending only enough energy to overcome aero drag and rolling resistance. Bouncing between regen and acceleration consumes more energy than maintaining a constant speed. Something that autopilot helps with considerably.

Regen is only better than friction brakes. That's its magic role.

1. Yes, coasting is more efficient in many cases when possible.
2. It depends on how and when you re-accelerate. That is if your notion is that when you regen your foot is 100% off the accelerator every time and then you accelerate rapidly, I'd agree, but that's not how it works in practice during highway driving. More typically you use very little of either regen or acceleration during highway driving other than in very hilly areas. (It's more efficient to lose a bit of speed going up hill and gain a bit of speed going downhill). In addition, when going down steep grades, there's a point where aerodynamic resistance uses more energy than regen and it's energy conversion losses.
3. Constant speed is good for flat terrain, it's less good for hilly terrain. Autopilot, for all it's good points, is almost always less efficient because it brakes too much and accelerates too hard, and it relies far too much on the friction brakes. Brake pad wear is included in efficiency. It's not efficient to save ten cents in electricity and pay one hundred dollars in brake wear.

BA5D7E89-CA43-4CFC-BFF5-C59DBC94044B.png
What's with this new SP drop just after 4 AM every day? Why can't I buy at that time?

Well I’m a sucker for a discount. Just bought some more in pre-market. I’m using IG.com platform and it happily lets me do so from this side of the world.

This chart has me keener than ever. Those dots just line up too nicely and can only mean one thing: growth = profits. As the cost of goods sold falls, the last shred of doubt vanishes and the big pile in on this stock will be signalled. Looking forward to the next two orange dots spelling it out.

1. Yes, coasting is more efficient in many cases when possible.
2. It depends on how and when you re-accelerate. That is if your notion is that when you regen your foot is 100% off the accelerator every time and then you accelerate rapidly, I'd agree, but that's not how it works in practice during highway driving. More typically you use very little of either regen or acceleration during highway driving other than in very hilly areas. (It's more efficient to lose a bit of speed going up hill and gain a bit of speed going downhill). In addition, when going down steep grades, there's a point where aerodynamic resistance uses more energy than regen and it's energy conversion losses.
3. Constant speed is good for flat terrain, it's less good for hilly terrain. Autopilot, for all it's good points, is almost always less efficient because it brakes too much and accelerates too hard, and it relies far too much on the friction brakes. Brake pad wear is included in efficiency. It's not efficient to save ten cents in electricity and pay one hundred dollars in brake wear.
At some point I expect Tesla to integrate learned situational analysis to determine how much coast and how much regen for a section of road to maximize efficiency.

With all the children dying in cars every year Tesla should add an automatic check for weight using the occupant detection sensor if not changed on the rear seats to see if a child is left in a rear row seat when the driver leaves the vehicle far enough to autolock and notify that a possible child has been left in the car to remind a parent to check. What parent wouldn't want a car that can save their child from a horrible death? Make it selectable in settings for people who have dogs or maybe have Dog Mode inactivate the the check.

It is the parent's responsibility to remember. Yes, it's terrible that they forget as often as they do, but it's not the car's fault nor should they be expected to correct it.

Think about what such a feature would entail. A weight sensor? Oh, but those are usually disabled when a seatbelt is properly clicked, since otherwise we'd all go insane with beeps as we sit in the car ourselves. Child seats use the factory seatbelts, but their actual harnesses have no sensors on them--full, empty, makes no difference to the clicked factory belt.

But a child-in-seat weight is not the same--but think about the size difference of children. From 6lbs to 40lbs, cheap-o-used seats to seats that are more luxiousous than my own bed, the weight can fluxuate dramatically. And, specifically, it would change throughout the child's life. So the parents would have to constantly update the weight calibration if they could even try to function with that weight difference.

Further, if I set things in the back, like a container of water, it would likely trigger the sensor, and I don't care if the water sits in my car overnight. I don't want to be reminded of it.

Or, maybe it'd just turn on Dog mode--but then the water is chilled at 80^ over night, draining my battery unnecessarily.

The issue is several layers;

1) How big of an issue is this?
Seat belts come to mind--people were dying all the time before they came out. People were dying specifically because they were operating their car.
2) How can a car company be expected to correct this?
Putting installed seat belts became mandatory, which is a reasonable assumption. People need to be safe when they drive a 2 tonn vehicle around.
3) How can you enforce people to follow whatever is installed?
Seatbelts were installed, but weren't used for years. People had to be indoctrinated into using it, ticketed, forced. Even if there was a feature to turn on/off in the car, if people never turn it on (like it keeps beeping at them when they just have an empty seat in the rear, which most parents leave when they don't have their kid), it's a waste.
4) How much of a responsibility does the car company have for it's passengers?
Cars should protect their passengers when they are moving the vehicle. That's why crumple zones, seat belts, and air bags exist. However, if you turn the car off in the middle of Death Valley during summer and try to take a nap in it--is it the car's responsibility to step up against your own stupidity?

Have to say that $TSLAQ are great at spinning headlines ;)

View attachment 441632

I would write "Jaguar slashes price of iPace in an effort to shift 6 months inventory backlog"

if course if they price them realistically in comparison to the competition then they might sell. What's a fair price for an iPace? I would say €55k fully specced, or something like that, currently they start at €80k, which is way too high for what you get.
I would consider buying one for my wife’s around town daily routine if the price was closer or below the Model 3.

So they assume dynamic driving means moving your foot around all the time like people are already used to rather than adapting to something new. Because I can't believe a porsche is for coasting instead of accelerating/decelerating :)
Worth noting that the 911's PDK has had a coasting function to maximize efficiency since 2012, so it seems to just be how Porsche wants to do it - granted, that car isn't a hybrid or EV, so coasting is legitimately always more efficient than braking (whether with the engine or the friction brakes), whereas something with regen, it depends on the situation:

(My own preference... I'm not sure, honestly. I think I'd like an easily accessible control to inhibit accelerator-mapped regen - note that this could even be a physical detent in the accelerator assembly, making it easier to hold it at the coasting point. That avoids the issues with blended brake pedals and inconsistent braking feel, while also making it easier to coast at zero power without having to constantly watch the power gauge. And yes, I watch the power gauge on my Prius (which uses a small amount of regen on the accelerator, and most blended on the brake pedal, the worst of both worlds).)

Re charging infrastructure, it’s more than just where and how many stalls.

Tesla policy is that the supercharger network will never be a profit centre.

I think this is important and should be spelled out more often. It leads to the freedom effect. People buy a Tesla and THEN realise they can go anywhere for a fraction of the cost of an ICE road trip. Suddenly they start going places, just because they can, free of pollution guilt and wallet drain guilt.

Other charging networks exist, but afaik, they aim to sell you kWh for a profit. Why would anybody choose to assist them in that endeavour?
If you want a real shock about this... fire up A Better Route Planner and do a US route involving the 64 kWh Hyundai Kona EV or the Kia Niro EV, and compare the charging cost to the Model 3. (Basically, Electrify America price tiering is based on the maximum charge rate the car accepts, and as the Kona/Niro can apparently take barely over 75 kW, the entire charge session occurs at the per-minute rate for 125 kW, instead of the much lower per minute rate for 75 kW.) A Bolt (charges slower) or a Taycan (charges much faster and doesn't get screwed by the tiering) is a more fair charging price comparison, but even then it's about twice as much as the Model 3 (but half as much as the Kona/Niro).

Our summer temperatures in Texas are over 100F for most of four months a year. This does NOT hit batteries hard.
It does if you have a Nissan LEAF... which is why, in some ways, that thing has done a lot of damage to EVs.

When I tell people that there are actually quite a few chargers along the interstates, they are always surprised, because they don’t see 100-foot tall “Tesla” signs at the exits. “How do you know where they are?” they ask. I answer, “The car knows where they are”.
I know Tesla doesn't advertise... but it could be a decent public awareness thing if they actually did put 100 foot tall Tesla signs at the exits for Superchargers... (IIRC the Superchargers are considered marketing budget anyway? So, market the marketing.)

This is like the 15th recession this year. So silly. BTFD because this will blow over once again

Short term perhaps. Unless the fed takes fairly drastic measures and the tariff wars reach an amicable conclusion, we will probably be in a recession in 1-2 years.

The upcoming election next year may very well be around then too, which should spook out the market even more.