Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the EQC specs so far:

Fully Charged Test Drives Mercedes-Benz EQC: Video
  • range of 417 km (259 miles) (WLTP)
  • range of 445-471 km (277-293 miles) (NEDC)
  • energy consumption at 20.8 - 19.7 kWh/100 km (NEDC)
  • 80 kWh battery pack (384 cells)
  • battery pack weight of 625 kg
  • 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.1 seconds
  • top speed of 180 km/h (112 mph)
  • dual motor all-wheel drive (two asynchronous motors)
  • system output 300 kW (408 HP) and 760 Nm of torque
  • AC charging takes 11 hours (7.4 kW single-phase on-board charger)
  • DC fast charging takes around 40 minutes (10-80% SOC)
  • Length/width (incl. mirrors)/height: 4,761/1,884 (2,096) /1,623 mm
  • Kerb weight (EC)/perm. GVW/payload (EC): 2,495/2,940/445 kg
  • Luggage compartment (depending on equipment fitted): approx. 500 l
Any of this might be sandbagged, but especially the top speed, acceleration and WLTP range of this 2.5 ton SUV doesn't sound all that exciting - and even "DC fast charging" is slow compared to the 2016 design of Tesla.

It certainly doesn't even come close to Tesla beating categories - and the messaging so far that emphasizes 'luxury', 'quiet ride' and various amenities suggest that Mercedes is aware of this. If that's the game plan then the I-PACE and the E-Tron mostly failed with the "more luxurious than a Tesla" messaging, not sure how much it will work for Mercedes.

(I also suspect that Tesla is waiting a bit with further announcements/enhancements until the Taycan and the EQC are out and become known quantities as well.)

Got a jpeg screenshot of points a guy named Thomas made after test driving the EQC. Since in Norwegian I'll try to translate:
  • High consumption. But not as bad as e-Tron.
  • Slow acceleration. You need a longer stretch to pass other cars. I had expected more from a 400hp car even if it's heavy. Fast enough for drivers used to fossils.
  • Must be in Sports Mode to have full power. Pushing the pedal past the "click" point is not enough.
  • Low top speed for track driving.
  • Auto steering does not work well in curves. And it's vague on who is in control.
  • HIgh center of gravity and large movements of the suspension - not suitable for crazy driving through corners.
  • No 12V socket in front.
  • No USB in the car. Only USB C.
  • Lots of work and tapping on the pad to get to the menu you want. The software is not very user friendly.
  • The touch screen is to far from the driver so you must lean forward to reach it.
  • Range comparable to e-Tron and i-Pace. Less than Tesla, Kona, e-Niro and Ampera (aka Bolt in the US I belive).
  • The SOC display is not linear. Dropping very fast the last third and does not match reality. I belive they can fix this with a software update.
  • Settings for Driving Mode and Regen is reset when the car has been off.
Paraphrased: This is not the car for driving from Norway to Southern Europe. But the car is very comfortable and seems very solid. It's suitable for driving internally in Norway. Perfect for driving to your cabin.

I belive this was the same car Bjørn Nyland has been driving recently. So the weird SOC display might have been just this car. Or maybe not.

Last edited:
The news feed on the Apple Stocks app is coming from Yahoo, content is nothing to do with Apple. I would assume there is a similar app on Android devices, does Google filter the news stories there?

In any case, I took a look and didn't see anything too FUDdy - which surprised me, TBH - just the German rental headline, really. In fact scroll down the stories a bit and you see these, which are rather positive, no?

View attachment 443707

Interesting, your feed is different than mine.

I get mostly (22 of 42) articles from Business Insider.

You do have different content. Carry on, nothing to see...

Got a jpeg screenshot of points a guy named Thomas made after test driving the EQC. Since in Norwegian I'll try to translate:

I belive this was the same car Bjørn Nyland has been driving recently. So the weird SOC display might have been just this car. Or maybe not.

Wait, so now we have two reports of that highly nonlinear SoC behavior?

That's starting to look increasingly like a cheat. There's no more obvious way to artificially inflate your car's range and efficiency than to hide all of the loss of range near the bottom of the discharge cycle and hope that people don't drain it down that far.

But it could just be a bug / defect.

ED: If it's the same car as Bjørn's, then it's too early to draw conclusions. Will be interesting to see.

Last edited:

That's starting to look increasingly like a cheat. There's no more obvious way to artificially inflate your car's range and efficiency than to hide all of the loss of range near the bottom of the charge cycle and hope that people don't drain it down that far.

And wasn't that exactly how some other tester did it, by extrapolating from a short trip? Rodent smell.

That's starting to look increasingly like a cheat. There's no more obvious way to artificially inflate your car's range and efficiency than to hide all of the loss of range near the bottom of the discharge cycle and hope that people don't drain it down that far.

Yes, two reports - but probably the same car. As in Bjørn Nyland let Thomas try his car.

OT @kbM3: Formula 1, EVs and super capacitors.

After some more reading I will admit that when it comes Formula 1 there may be a point to super capacitors, but this is only because of how regulated F1 is.

One of the problems with capacitors is that while they have a high energy/weight density they have a poor energy/volume density. But F1 is regulated on things like power output, frame and weight, but not directly the volume. I don't do power train design, but I can see how doing something like using a gasoline motor to charge the capacitor and feeding the regulated electric motor might be effective. Such a design would use regenerative braking to increase the charge level of the super capacitor and might need to be able to increase gasoline motor output for long straights -- but being capped by the regulated motor output might obviate the need for that. The only reason to do this (versus a straight gas system using flywheels) would be overall system efficiency (I'm way out of date on flywheel based systems, but back in the day their efficiency wasn't that good). It might work out, it might not.

So, yeah, I'd forgotten how you can get silly artifacts from heavily regulated races.

And I suppose with hefty enough super capacitors you might be able to get an EV to compete in top fuel. Now that would be funny. Nor would it be allowed, even if you could somehow get electric motors powerful enough and enough high discharge mobile energy storage to run the race. The point of top fuel for many is the loud, abusive noise of the motors and the complete rebuild between runs. Can't take away their fun...

Bjørn Nyland said something the other day about the EQC surprising him with its efficiency. It'll be interesting to see what his results were. One of the main things that's totaled the I-Pace and E-Tron are their horrible inefficiencies. That said, I'm not sure how efficient it can be with a NEDC range that should translate to a little over 200 miles EPA (maybe up to 220 if they're lucky?), on an 80kWh pack. It doesn't have the sort of shape required for being particularly efficient, either. Also it starts tapering at under 120kW at 40% SoC (under 90 EPA miles).

Maybe it was surprisingly bad?

There's also the issue that with F1, cost is basically irrelevant, and every car is basically a prototype, and nothing needs to be practical as a road vehicle.

Regardless, the car to compete with top fuel dragsters will clearly be the Roadster with the SpaceX options package. ;) If you want insane acceleration and noise....

The crazy thing is that if you wanted to, you could make the Roadster even more insane aftermarket by adding a self-pressurizing fuel tank (say, ethane) and replacing the nozzles with combustion chamber + nozzle arrangements, turning it into an ethane-air rocket engine for much higher thrust and/or longer-duration burns..

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the actual biggest mistake around poor Q1 guidance was.
So perhaps the biggest mistake was believing the difficult M3 delivery expansion outside North America was going to come off without a hitch and not leave thousands of cars produced in Q1 undelivered by end of quarter. Of course unrealistically over optimistic expectations of how well difficult efforts will go according to plan has IMO been the root cause of most of the biggest mistakes made the past few years.
Expectations, hmm. Operational mistakes in European M3's "expansion" cannot be excluded either, possibly leading to departure of Jan Oehmicke, then Vice President of Tesla Europe, managing finance, sales and operations for the greater Europe region.
https://electrek.co/2019/07/02/tesla-head-of-europe-out/

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
although $TSLA is mirroring macros it is outperforming them, just like it under performed previously.

My expectation is that the under performance was driving by shorting to exaggerate the macros and the slight outperform is the result of slow covering to minimize rebound. The shorts are taking profit to fund the next downward push.

Back on topic.....I just almost threw my back out. Tried to bend over and pick up a big chest and the right lower side of my back seized up.

Straightened myself okout and took 4 Advil. After 10 minutes was able to get onto my bed with no pain. Still mild tightness, but I feel like I could get up and walk around. Did I dodge a bullet?

Hydrating like crazy and letting the Advil take effect for 40 mins. Am I ok to get up if I feel just minimal tightness or should I just lock it down for the day?

Back on topic.....I just almost threw my back out. Tried to bend over and pick up a big chest and the right lower side of my back seized up.

Straightened myself okout and took 4 Advil. After 10 minutes was able to get onto my bed with no pain. Still mild tightness, but I feel like I could get up and walk around. Did I dodge a bullet?

Hydrating like crazy and letting the Advil take effect for 40 mins. Am I ok to get up if I feel just minimal tightness or should I just lock it down for the day?

I'm assuming this is a metaphor for the hopelessness of life.... and the TSLA price action of the last week?

I've been engaging deeply into Tesla solar and signed a contract Friday for 8.19 kW + 2 PWs.

This weekend, Tesla announced a solar rental program that appears to save folks money without many commitments or worries. It sounds like a good product (still better to buy Solar vs rent for best cost savings) but no advertising has me wondering why people would suddenly decide to get solar? The people on this forum all seem to have Tesla vehicles already. But all the others, how will they learn? (OK, so I just heard it on NPR this morning, so some news is getting out anyway).

Maybe this will catch on but time's running out for our Fed rebates. As I see it, we have just one year to get this right before the incentives drop off a cliff here in the US. But if it does take off, I think this will make Tesla the energy company we've been talking about because they will likely get 20+ years of revenue for free (after the first 7 yrs pay for itself). Why this hasn't happened yet is beyond me. The business model is similar to McDonalds where leasing land is the game. Here, Tesla is leasing the sun AND we're paying to have them use our roof. Very smart move.

FYI, there are some very interesting posts here by early adopters of solar and PW in Arizona if interested. Too much detail for this thread, but worthy of a stock catalyst mention here. Arizona Powerwall Installs