Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM doesnt mind at all. Traditional auto manufacturers. The EV FUD is working. Maybe if the leader in the EV space really cared about EVs really taking over their CEO would care about that and put out advertisements combatting that rather than having robots trying to tell people how to vote.

FYI I recently heard that new dangers exist with Electric Boats and how they can increase shark attacks.
That CEO is busy putting out ads begging for his billions back

I've been a quiet observer in this thread for the past five years and rarely post. In its earlier days, this thread was a beacon of insightful discussions and genuine passion for Tesla, marked by knowledgeable contributors and meaningful exchanges.

Recently, however, it seems to be cluttered with noise and occasional flashes of quality content. The thread often devolves into unproductive arguments, with trolls spreading misinformation freely. It's particularly frustrating to see a moderator who paradoxically champions Tesla as the "ascendant corporation of our time" while simultaneously disparaging the the key player who played a pivotal role in its success. Without the guy, there is no "ascendant corporation of our time" today. Moreover, it’s puzzling why some participants who have sold off their positions still linger here, only to disparage Tesla and the CEO who has been instrumental in the EV revolution.

This thread is in a pretty sad state now.
The fact there are so many posts about how a forum has changed shows just how slow Tesla news is at present. What some posters want is a return to the heady days of five years when Tesla stock was ascending and Tesla was this scrappy new company. Who doesn't wish a return to those days? But please spare me about "quality" posts and posters. There was a lot of rah rah posts back then not grounded in reality "(Tesla will never cut prices", remember that one?) And many posters then believed the good times would never end. Well, the times have slowed and many of those posters are gone and moved on to the next shiny new thing or stock.

But now back to reality, Tesla is mainstream and its products are established, Now Tesla must compete in this new competitive environment. Discussion of Tesla in this new phase may not be rah rah as many like. Oh well, it's the environment we are in until the next growth phase.

See you back on 8/8 when there will be substantive Tesla news.

Yay!!! In a bear scenario, i.e. one where things go really badly, price target is USD 2,000. https://www.ark-invest.com/articles/valuation-models/arks-tesla-price-target-2029

What could possibly go wrong...?

Before anyone takes this seriously, ARK's 2024 "expected value" for TSLA (published in 2020) was $467/share with a bull case of $1,000/share.

1000003464.png

^Assumptions for 2024.

These are not serious people.

@CHGolferJim , you're talking apples, I'm talking oranges here.

I'm NOT talking about the short and hold transactions which make up the short interest numbers. Instead, I'm talking about the daily shorting by option sellers that gets covered either slowly in the afternoon or during the 4pm closing cross the same day. That daily shorting is what holds the stock price down. It's a matter of selling in a way that leads to other selling and then slowly covering in the afternoon and then finishing up the covering (buying) during the 4pm closing cross. It's using psychology to lower the stock price even if the shares the manipulator sells and then buys every day is the same number. If you watch TSLA trading long enough, it's pretty easy to tell when a manipulation is likely underway.
Well, not to bicker, but since I’ve been reading your thread almost daily and you make that point almost daily, I think I understand it.

• Funny
Reactions: replicant
I've been a quiet observer in this thread for the past five years and rarely post. In its earlier days, this thread was a beacon of insightful discussions and genuine passion for Tesla, marked by knowledgeable contributors and meaningful exchanges.

Recently, however, it seems to be cluttered with noise and occasional flashes of quality content. The thread often devolves into unproductive arguments, with trolls spreading misinformation freely. It's particularly frustrating to see a moderator who paradoxically champions Tesla as the "ascendant corporation of our time" while simultaneously disparaging the the key player who played a pivotal role in its success. Without the guy, there is no "ascendant corporation of our time" today. Moreover, it’s puzzling why some participants who have sold off their positions still linger here, only to disparage Tesla and the CEO who has been instrumental in the EV revolution.

This thread is in a pretty sad state now.
The 'key player' is not the same person now. He has for the most part been awol since he sold out to the tune of 1,000x of his initial investment. He promised to be 'last out'. Yet you uberbulls still defend him.

He is following through on threats of developing AI elsewhere, even taking H100s from Tesla for his private endeavor. Yet you uberbulls defend him still.

He has shown little regard for the business or the shareholders. He tells potential buyers to GFY and acts like he can offend half the world as the leader of a consumer product company. He refuses to advertise the products, but goes all out to advertise to vote to affirm his record breaking pay package. It's 1,000x greater than any pay package ever, and the stock and profits are no longer at those threshholds. Yet uberbulls still defend him.

Many here are upset and rightfully so. Many also regret not selling out when the 'key player' did bc, like many still here, we were under the spell of the kool-aid and believed everything out of the 'key player' mouth. But we are wiser now and see our errors in blindly following another man who has revealed himself as deeply flawed and egotistical.

You and many others on this forum invested early (2013 and some earlier). You had to watch the stock go nowhere for a long, long, long time before you saw your payday . . and what a payday (cost basis of $10/shr). You didn't lose your head . . .you stayed the course and you were rewarded.
You understood that bold engineering and innovation will result in some failures and false starts but the breakthrough can (and did) arrive.

Some of you know my story; I got lucky and invested in Tesla at a share price as low as $16 in 2019 right before the run up. I have wondered: would I have held if I had purchased years earlier or would I have sold in frustration? I also have wondered about what TMC was like during the share price flat-line years; was there a lot of bickering?

Musk stated on the Q4 2023 earnings call, "Tesla is currently between two major growth waves".
I have learned from you early investors . . .stay calm . .stay the course.
This perspective is what has made many of us long term successful investors. Many of us who have been in that TSLA position since IPO but prior to Model 3 became a raging success (i.e. before 2019) have followed every development closely, including here on TMC and in this thread.

Nearly all who have been longer term successful have had their share of Duds too. I know I have had them, luckily I learned. Most of us have also done a share of derivative speculation. I've does that too, encourages by learning from a Nobel Prize winner, who I belived to have been THE oracle. That's before he went bust in spectacular earth shattering fashion, from failing to adhere to the master statistical rule of heuristics, "never exceed the boundary conditions fo your models".

That last part has led me to an obsessive effort to understand as much about every risk in every investment and try hard to define those critical factors that are most likely to be early warnings of rough terrain...as I have done with TSLA too, even disclosing my early warning factors that evinced a complete investment assessment.

Here on TMC, as elsewhere, deep understanding of risks sounds like pessimism or even FUD.
It really si not that, it is an effort to see more accurately the most probable future events, so try to influence investment decisions.

We really have several crucial elements that all TSLA investors should be acutely aware of and monitor diligently. perhaps not obvious is that the personal habits of any individual, including a CEO, are only relevant to the extent that they impede investment performance,
(In this respect morality and politics are only relevant to the extent that they enhance or detract from investment performance).

TMC Investor threads here have frequently devolved into frequent emotional statements that are based on personal political preferences and/or on professed expository statements that often illustrate lack of investigation or knowledge of accounting principles, analytic tools, including statistics (especially heuristics) and various other technical subjects. So, what should we do about that?

First, there are or have been, on this board people with very high knowledge and skills in practically any area we need to master. We should pay attention to them, They are usually obvious.
Second, there are some who opine on any are that pops up, with or without even basic understanding. Those people could ask questions and learn, before stating opinions that are based on nothing but imagination.
Third, There are quite a few people, including Moderators, who try hard to distinguish between the First and Second cases. We all should try to help.
Fourth, among those of us who have one or more skills of the first order are often people fo the second order on subject they know nothing about. They should opine in their skills areas and question in those for which they are not skilled.

Dong these things might, just might, reduce pressure on Moderators and help them to keep doing their jobs. It also would make it obvious where the FUD and trolls come from.

Quoting @TheAccountant is appropriate for he is the very definition of the First category.
Just above is @Papafox, another example of the first type. We would be better of if we followed their examples. Without question, I, too, should follow their advice more assiduously.

Can you please work out the logistics of being able to be "last out" without share price being at zero?

By definition, the desire for Tesla shares need to be zero by anyone besides Elon in order to for him to be the very last person. So the promise was not about never selling, but will never sell as Tesla heads for bankruptcy. This is the only scenario where it's possible to be "last out". When that's off the table, he can do whatever he wants because people like me understood what he met in the first place. You are free to think whatever.
Dear investors, I'm not in this for a quick buck. I'm not pumping the stock with promises that can't be met. I'm so confident I'll be the last one out. I'm for the mission of a sustainable future. I'm going to need this huge pay package for Mars and this won't even be enough money for that..... Oh nevermind, I'm going to dump on the market bc I need to go save free speech (1st amendment does that, foolish kool-aid drinkers) and buy this *sugar* company for $40B. GFY shareholders, I can pump the stock and break promises at will with no consequences, you peasants.

Tesla without Musk would be another Apple without any innovation riding safely on mediocre. Eventually it'd be brought into non-existence by big oil and stupid ones who seem ignorant.
It'd be plagued with unions which, speaking mildly, don't really contribute much to production goals. Innovation would be red taped by meetings and managers with their MBAs who would do anything to justify their positions. Tesla's would get many buttons back to navigate through their user interface. Hell, we'd might even get transmissions and engine sounds once Musk is gone.
When will Tesla be another Apple? Apple is making new ATH. When will Tesla do that?

No, I'm pretty sure Elon said he isn't doing that. The board of directors are the ones that were putting out ads and hired a company to call shareholders.
The BOD that was ruled not to be independent of Elon?
They both refuse to advertise or establish positive PR when sales were tanking and inventory was building up because it doesn't work, but they pull an all out ad blitz spending shareholder dollars when Elon's billions are at risk?!

There is an old poll somewhere on this forum about how much shares of tsla. I believe the top 5 probably has hundreds of millions of usd in tsla (extrapolated to today). A lot of ppl probably didn't participate in the poll like me so it might not represent the whole picture.

One member I know from this forum had more than 500k+ usd in tesla shares on ipo day for example. My personal guess is that the top holder from this forum (Elon excluded) is probably in the billions.
Who here has billion$ of $TSLA?

Reactions: phantasms
Who here has billion$ of $TSLA?
I believe the person who started this thread does. That person wrote about Elon recently “He no longer has my vote of confidence and I would be happy to see his replacement at the helm, sooner rather than later.” I obviously agree. Then again many here would just say we’re trolls and don’t understand Tesla. 😂

Your regular helpful post on the dire threat to Tesla's FSD ambitions from the competition:
Imagine if FSD did this? It would be a breaking new special.

Meanwhile another $850million of GM's money thrown on the cruise bonfire:

I'm not worried about FSD competition :D.

I believe the person who started this thread does. That person wrote about Elon recently “He no longer has my vote of confidence and I would be happy to see his replacement at the helm, sooner rather than later.” I obviously agree. Then again many here would just say we’re trolls and don’t understand Tesla. 😂
You guys are just downers, not trolls. We can tell the difference. Just like how @nativewolf probably isn't "ignored" by people that are looking for an objective viewpoint.

Interesting but unfortunately the article this is based on from May 8 seems to have done quite a random ranking, I can´t find any metric this is based on.

Quoted by @Musskiah:

..based on:

..based on:
Fair enough. I appreciate you digging deeper into this. It's safe to say Tesla Energy is one of the industry leaders, based on other more tangible information we have discussed on this forum.

Last edited:
You guys are just downers, not trolls. We can tell the difference. Just like how @nativewolf probably isn't "ignored" by people that are looking for an objective viewpoint.
I couldn’t agree more. I think that’s probably the overwhelming sentiment here.

I love having the downers around. Like the shady knight…there are some incredible contributors who rarely do any cheerleading or even say anything positive about Tesla. But they are a healthy balance when there’s a new strain of hopium going around.

That said, my bock list has grown considerably of late.