Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not even close. NVDA down at one point >15% - "worst day in a decade". Caterpillar down 8%.
Sorry I wasn't clearer: unlike others my focus is on $TSLA so I was referring to exactly and only what I said: $TSLA vs NASDAQ. So, the broader context, what I said isn't true. But looking at $TSLA vs NASDAQ as a whole it was trailing. Often I put such things as "$TSLA trailing NASDAQ by ~1%" which is better (more explicit) phrasing.

And of course $TSLA isn't trailing anymore (last I looked) given that sudden spike up.

I can already see the headlines after ER on Wednesday :

" Tesla profits fall by X% on Q4" ...

Tesla seen forecasting first-quarter loss after Musk warning
TSLA 293.0933up -3.9467 (-1.33%)
Jan 28 (Reuters) - Wall Street analysts expect Tesla Inc(TSLA) to forecast a loss for the first quarter when it reports results on Wednesday, having changed their expectations for a profit after Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk warned of a "very difficult" road ahead.

Bought more today at $290. Bears all think risk of loss in Q1 due to lack of demand. Primary reality is that its due to spending on construction of factory in China. As always, I'm not sure of short term movements, but fundamentals continue to improve each quarter.

I’m tapped out unless I buy on margin(with the volatility post-ER, not willing to do that). I love that the current price action appears to be with expectation of negative guidance for Q1, since that isn’t at all what Elon said in that letter. Negative EPS for Q1 is basically priced in.

Bought more today at $290. Bears all think risk of loss in Q1 due to lack of demand. Primary reality is that its due to spending on construction of factory in China. As always, I'm not sure of short term movements, but fundamentals continue to improve each quarter.
Spending on construction won't go into P&L. Q1 is difficult because of shipping/distribution issues. Tesla has spent Jan making cars for China/Europe and shipping them. They are yet to start delivering there - and US deliveries are seasonally low now.

Instead of comparing to previous quarter, we should start comparing to same quarter last year, like we do with all other companies to take seasonality into account.

I’m tapped out unless I buy on margin(with the volatility post-ER, not willing to do that). I love that the current price action appears to be with expectation of negative guidance for Q1, since that isn’t at all what Elon said in that letter. Negative EPS for Q1 is basically priced in.

I bought with funds from when I had sold at $355. So its not "new" money.

Spending on construction won't go into P&L. Q1 is difficult because of shipping/distribution issues. Tesla has spent Jan making cars for China/Europe and shipping them. They are yet to start delivering there - and US deliveries are seasonally low now.

Instead of comparing to previous quarter, we should start comparing to same quarter last year, like we do with all other companies to take seasonality into account.

My bad, you're totally correct on the construction spending not hitting P & L.

Well now I have to re-think the thesis a little. Yeah NA is tapped out on high ASP models so that hurts margins for Q1. I expect Europe demand will continue to ramp, but that won't hit until Q2.

So Q1 may be tight on profitability in part due to tight demand and lower ASP. That's not as fun :). But I don't see any reason Europe and the rest of the world doesn't pull ASP higher for the next several quarters.

Saudi Arabia slashes exposure to TSLA - FT

@ $290.29 now.

The country’s Public Investment Fund hedged most of its 4.9 per cent stake in Tesla with the help of bankers at JPMorgan Chase after the market closed on January 17.

The hedging arrangement has turned out to be well timed. A day after it was put in place, Mr Musk revealed Tesla was cutting 7 per cent of its workforce and warned that it was facing a “very difficult” period, and the stock fell..

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F632f371c-2316-11e9-8ce6-5db4543da632

Last edited: