Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla's SP hits $215.50 and you go "well, that's not bad!"

It's a whole new (ab)normal. May it blow over like a bad dream, soon. (Last purchase: Friday, at $213.)

We've also had two negative quarters in a row, one of which is despite record sales. Not to mention the twitter in chief screwing most people who trade with China.

It'll go back to where it was before, especially once the sheer profit of GF3 comes online. Then the profit of Model Y, then Semi... then Halo Roadster slaughters all competition on youtube....

(Last purchase sometime around the 1st, $227)

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11
Its not what tesla is saying about their tech, its what they are not saying. I"m sure a super slick roadster can achieve huge mileage numbers but a pick up truck? that would have to be four battery packs... There is some improvement coming, and likely in 2020 and for their premier products first. With an improved pack who knows how far a model 3 or Y would go, but needs high volume production to make it work financially....

Graphene-- may be some component of the battery cell, wiring, electrodes, car wiring, all speculation, but that is what the internet is for....

A pickup truck shouldn't be speeding on an Autobahn, pickups are designed primarily for USA with their low speed limits.

A person would be pretty stupid to try to drive the Ring Road at 80mph / 129 kph. You might find the occasional person who tries it, but I sure wouldn't.

I'd say that the average speed is probably 100kph / 62mph, if that. Less near town where the (few, marked) cameras are. ;) Also randomly backed up by people who actually drive the speed limit (or even less), because passing can frequently be difficult (one lane in each direction, windy, hilly).

ah, very different situations. I-66 is a straight, flat, 6-lane highway. honestly, any arbitrary speed would be pretty safe as long as the rest of traffic followed suit.

(OT, slow news day, sorry)

I can't check all the details here, I see that a round trip with two adults and one car is $917 USD. Not sure for one person. Takes 2 1/2 days.

The bigger issue is that it complicates tax / registration, and if there's any followup service needed after purchase, or delivery schedule changes, or anything like that, it could turn into a big mess. So....

In most places outside the Reykjavík area, no ;)

That said, there's a reason it's low - it's not limited access, and can be rather windy, has hills you can't see over in places, one-lane bridges, etc.

The ones that do break the speed limit, only do it once...

Drive my VW Amarok Adventure from time to time with 160 - 170 km/h on the Autobahn, and it feels safe.
But then again, one can view this as relatively low speed.

But I bet your fuel-consumption is dreadful, no? These things just aren't designed for efficient high-speed use.

In my experience you're in the higher-end of the average at those speeds. Although you get the occasional maniacs going 200, 250, even 300, there aren't that many in my experience, there are more in the 120-130 range actually.

Of course when you get all these speeds mixed in the same road, especially the 2-lane parts, like the A1 north of Hamburg (sleepy, slow Danes up there), then you need to keep you wits about you.

And AP tops-out at 150kmph too...

I can't check all the details here, I see that a round trip with two adults and one car is $917 USD. Not sure for one person. Takes 2 1/2 days.

The bigger issue is that it complicates tax / registration, and if there's any followup service needed after purchase, or delivery schedule changes, or anything like that, it could turn into a big mess. So....

In most places outside the Reykjavík area, no ;)

That said, there's a reason it's low - it's not limited access, and can be rather windy, has hills you can't see over in places, one-lane bridges, etc.
And sheep. Don't forget sheep. Or rather, try to forget about sheep ... :p

Observation: Cocoa, FL (one of the two Starship production sites) is right in the middle of the NHC Dorian track:

69580126_10156732115404211_4512191279949414400_n.jpg

Thankfully, they just finished this:

1579580.jpg

I'd settle for Solomon Epstein. Although the way Epstein went out I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I'd sure take it. (Someone developing the drive. Not me pulling an Epstein exit.)

For the uninitiated, the Epstein drive is the tech used in the Expanse books/show. There's a series of scenes in the show that corresponds to a prequel novella, Drive, which details Epstein making his breakthrough. It's non-spoilery other than revealing that there's tech in this universe that allows for expeditious travel within our system, which is obvious from the first page.

I would not bet against SpaceX making our version of the Epstein in a decade or two...

Reactions: AZRI11 and Kenypowa
I keep telling people, and people keep refusing to believe it because our population is so low... Iceland's Tesla sales are going to be surprisingly high. I think we'll level out at a sustainable demand at about 5% of Norway in the near term... levels perhaps around that of Austria or Italy (unless they get their acts together more ;) ). We'd have a much higher EV adoption rate today if Tesla were here - remember that we're at our current levels without the most popular EV in Europe, and with terrible charging infrastructure (max = 50kW, with the Ring Road only completed a year ago).

Our incentives are roughly the same as Norway's. Our power is even cleaner. Three quarters of the population lives in the Reykjavík metro. Tesla is simply going to take over the market here.
Do you even need the range of a Tesla? Iceland is only a few hundred kms across.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
Do you even need the range of a Tesla? Iceland is only a few hundred kms across.

~500km across at the widest, yes. But you can't (realistically) drive across the country. The middle of the country (the highlands) is like offroading, and is closed for most of the year. You drive the Ring Road around the country. With the shortcut in Axarvegur it's ~1250km (776mi) to drive the full circle, ~1310km (814mi) without the shortcut.

Also remember that the country is mountainous and that very windy, wintery conditions dominate for many months (particularly in the passes).

Even just going through fractions of the country can be surprisingly long distances. For example, Vestfirðir, the "fjördy" area in the northwest. Starting at the planned Supercharger site at Staðarskáli, driving to Ísafjörður along the north coast, back along the south coast, and returning to Staðarskáli via the shortest path, is 707km (439mi). Again, full of mountain passes. And going to these places aren't just hypotheticals; one of my best friends lives in Vestfirðir. Another lives in Ólafsfjörður, north of Akureyri. And I love going to music festivals, which are all over the country in remote places - like Bræðslan, in Borgarfjörður Eystri (676km / 420mi from Reykjavík). The longest route (non-circle) between two towns is Grundarbær (NW of Bolungarvík) to Ulfstaðir (S of Borgarfjörður Eystri), at 905km (562mi). Even on the Ring Road itself, the distance between points of "civilization" can be quite long - for example, Reykjahlíð to Skjöldólfsstaðir, 111km (69mi), through some rather high terrain. Between there, there's not even a farm you could stop at for more power; it's like driving across the moon (indeed, the Apollo astronauts did their geology training not far to the south of there!)

We need range and fast charging. It's a requirement.

Last edited:
~500km across at the widest, yes. But you can't (realistically) drive across the country. The middle of the country (the highlands) is like offroading, and is closed for most of the year. You drive the Ring Road around the country. With the shortcut in Berufjörður it's ~1250km (776mi) to drive the full circle, ~1310km (814mi) without the shortcut.

Also remember that the country is mountainous and that very windy, wintery conditions dominate for many months (particularly in the passes).

Even just going through fractions of the country can be surprisingly long distances. For example, Vestfirðir, the "fjördy" area in the northwest. Starting at the planned Supercharger site at Staðarskáli, driving to Ísafjörður along the north coast, back along the south coast, and returning to Staðarskáli via the shortest path, is 707km (439mi). Again, full of mountain passes. And going to these places aren't just hypotheticals; one of my best friends lives in Vestfirðir. Another lives in Ólafsfjörður, north of Akureyri. And I love going to music festivals, which are all over the country in remote places - like Bræðslan, in Borgarfjörður Eystri.

How nice to get a virtual picture of your country in multiple dimensions! It has strange appeal. The people must be really nerdy but amazingly sociable.

But I bet your fuel-consumption is dreadful, no? These things just aren't designed for efficient high-speed use.

In my experience you're in the higher-end of the average at those speeds. Although you get the occasional maniacs going 200, 250, even 300, there aren't that many in my experience, there are more in the 120-130 range actually.

Of course when you get all these speeds mixed in the same road, especially the 2-lane parts, like the A1 north of Hamburg (sleepy, slow Danes up there), then you need to keep you wits about you.

And AP tops-out at 150kmph too...
CW is terrible, front surface is huge and diesel consumption mirrors that. Still I do in other countries mostly 130 - 140 on the highways just to be faster at my destination. If I've nothing to transport, I use more efficient cars, including a Tesla Model S.

Would love if the Tesla Pickup has at least on par capabilities as the Amarok. In terms of acceleration, I've no doubt's that it will be better. But here in Europe there will be even a longer waiting time than in the US, I expect 3-4 years from now.

~500km across at the widest, yes. But you can't (realistically) drive across the country. The middle of the country (the highlands) is like offroading, and is closed for most of the year. You drive the Ring Road around the country. With the shortcut in Axarvegur it's ~1250km (776mi) to drive the full circle, ~1310km (814mi) without the shortcut.

Even just going through fractions of the country can be surprisingly long distances. For example, Vestfirðir, the "fjördy" area in the northwest. Starting at the planned Supercharger site at Staðarskáli, driving to Ísafjörður along the north coast, back along the south coast, and returning to Staðarskáli via the shortest path, is 707km (439mi). Again, full of mountain passes. And going to these places aren't just hypotheticals; one of my best friends lives in Vestfirðir. Another lives in Ólafsfjörður, north of Akureyri. And I love going to music festivals, which are all over the country in remote places - like Bræðslan, in Borgarfjörður Eystri. The longest route (non-circle) between two towns is Grundarbær (NW of Bolungarvík) to Ulfstaðir (S of Borgarfjörður Eystri), at 905km (562mi). Even on the Ring Road itself, the distance between points of "civilization" can be quite long - for example, Reykjahlíð to Skjöldólfsstaðir, 111km (69mi), through some rather high terrain. Between there, there's not even a farm you could stop at for more power; it's like driving across the moon (indeed, the Apollo astronauts did their geology training not far to the south of there!)

...and let's not forget the hit that towing will have on range.