Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the math says we're more likely to get our FTL tech from alien beings. Much cheaper too.

Someone will probably get in touch with Elon once he hits Mars.
But we all know that the prime directive prevents first contact till there is an FTL signature. So, sorry, Starship and Mars is not gonna cut it. Musk is great but he's no Zefram Cochrane. :D

Why would they need to get in touch with one of their own?

According to the latest MIB movie he's a Nakkadan.

Nakkadan.png

If Musk, scientists, governments, and the people of the world are truly concerned about the survival of the human race, then all efforts should go to funding physics programs and scholarship.

Being multi-planet is not sufficient to ensure long term survival. Cosmic catastrophes can wipe out our Sun and solar system. Need to be an an interstellar race. And that requires FTL (faster than light) travel. And FTL travel requires breakthroughs in fundamental physics.

Just saying... :D
You have a problem with generation ships? Other than dystopian sci-fi novels, that is?
Harry Harrison's "Captive Universe" for example.

If Musk, scientists, governments, and the people of the world are truly concerned about the survival of the human race, then all efforts should go to funding physics programs and scholarship.

Being multi-planet is not sufficient to ensure long term survival. Cosmic catastrophes can wipe out our Sun and solar system. Need to be an an interstellar race. And that requires FTL (faster than light) travel. And FTL travel requires breakthroughs in fundamental physics.

Just saying... :D
You have a problem with generation ships? Other than dystopian sci-fi novels, that is?
Harry Harrison's "Captive Universe" for example.
Or "Aniara", from that other Harry: Martinson. :D
They had a faulty navsys though and got lost in space, but it was made into an opera at least.

Roadster2 range was actually listed at 620 miles, which is == 1,000 km. With a round number as such, I take that as an aspirational goal, doubtless calculated from the specs. Of course there are no real-world numbers yet. But again from the specs, I've previously speculated that driven at 200 kmh on the Autobahn, Roadster2 will have about 350 km of usefull range. So maybe 1:45 hrs driving and 0:45 hrs at a v3 Supercharger.

Personally, I'm more interested to see what the Gen.2 FSD computer (2-3 yrs?) does on the Autobahn. I bet it needs glasses though. Let's see what Tesla does for the long range camera. I know at 220 kmh I'm looking 1+ km down the road, and wary of anything potentially gone wrong/funky in traffic.

Cheers!

I can get 250kms easily on the Autobahn with my Model X - I would have thought the aerodynamics and weight of the R2 would be vastly superior and with double the battery would give more like 600kms??

All speculation, of course, but I think you're totally out with 250kms - of course if it's sustained 400kmph, that's something else, but you'll not be doing that on the Autobahn's!

I can get 250kms easily on the Autobahn with my Model X - I would have thought the aerodynamics and weight of the R2 would be vastly superior and with double the battery would give more like 600kms??

All speculation, of course, but I think you're totally out with 250kms - of course if it's sustained 400kmph, that's something else, but you'll not be doing that on the Autobahn's!
Its not what tesla is saying about their tech, its what they are not saying. I"m sure a super slick roadster can achieve huge mileage numbers but a pick up truck? that would have to be four battery packs... There is some improvement coming, and likely in 2020 and for their premier products first. With an improved pack who knows how far a model 3 or Y would go, but needs high volume production to make it work financially....

Graphene-- may be some component of the battery cell, wiring, electrodes, car wiring, all speculation, but that is what the internet is for....

Wow. So touting something that every production Tesla that has Navigate on Autopilot enabled already has. And without Lidar...

the latest available NOA does not recognize stoplights or read signs, or gaze track... there is more, if you pay attention. (to reassure you, if it doesn't have it now I am sure it will one day soon.). I am annoyed that NOA seems to find the center of the road based upon the closest painted lines on the road.

Nvidia seems to be one of the most capable competitors, and has the means to partner with the auto industry. No one mentions Intel-Mobileye. Both have the means to do the R&D at a larger scale. (I understand the cars on the road are a big advantage and automatically agree with Hotz, I am biased.)

• Funny
Reactions: SpaceCash

You rang, Sir?

Don't worry - NoA can't read speed limits anyway. :p

How much would the ferry to Hirtshals? set you back in time and money?

I can't check all the details here, I see that a round trip with two adults and one car is $917 USD. Not sure for one person. Takes 2 1/2 days.

The bigger issue is that it complicates tax / registration, and if there's any followup service needed after purchase, or delivery schedule changes, or anything like that, it could turn into a big mess. So....

Drax7 said:
Is it enforced?

In most places outside the Reykjavík area, no ;)

That said, there's a reason it's low - it's not limited access, and can be rather windy, has hills you can't see over in places, one-lane bridges, etc.

Last edited:
And here I am, in a country where the highest speed limit anywhere is 90kph ;) (for Americans: 56mph)

is that how fast do people *really* drive, though? for example, on I-66 through northern Virginia, the speed limit is 55mph through Centreville and Manassas, but the flow of traffic goes 75-79mph (when it's not jammed). In fact, on multiple occasions i've passed parked police cruisers while going 75-79mph and they haven't moved. I don't think they care as long as you're keeping it under 80mph, unless they want to pull you over for some other reason and want to use speed as an excuse.

is that how fast do people *really* drive, though? for example, on I-66 through northern Virginia, the speed limit is 55mph through Centreville and Manassas, but the flow of traffic goes 75-79mph (when it's not jammed). In fact, on multiple occasions i've passed parked police cruisers while going 75-79mph and they haven't moved. I don't think they care as long as you're keeping it under 80mph, unless they're looking for an excuse to pull you over.

A person would be pretty stupid to try to drive the Ring Road at 80mph / 129 kph. You might find the occasional person who tries it, but I sure wouldn't.

I'd say that the average speed is probably 100kph / 62mph, if that. Less near town where the (few, marked) cameras are. ;) Also randomly backed up by people who actually drive the speed limit (or even less), because passing can frequently be difficult (one lane in each direction, windy, hilly).