Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I don't understand is Musk commented to someone on twitter who found a SpaceX permit and told them what it was for. I wonder why he doesn't clear up the GA5 thing. Then again, he does have more leeway with what he can say about SpaceX than Tesla.

So @StealthP3D - you believe that Musk has as much leeway in what he says publicly as he does SpaceX? Wouldn't he have less or no oversight by the SEC when he gives info about SpaceX? Please explain.

Yes, but only at the end of Q4. AFAIK, there's nothing being phased out this quarter.

This was my impression too. It's seriously impressive. I guess they're taking the volumes from Norway at the moment - whether that's because Norway isn't ordering, or whether Tesla have decided they can wait a bit, who knows...

Really looking like a splendid quarter!!

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I was going to agree with Karen, and I haven't done the math, but it may be possible for a very short race, single lap, to replace part of a 100kWh pack with caps, since you need high power output not range. Maybe. But probably not. More likely would be to use a smaller pack of much higher C rate chemistry, which is what they do with EV drag racers. A123 nano phosphate for example, or lithium titanate, or li poly cells which can do 90C.
*not an engineer*
I think if they get the cooling on the drivetrain right - and maybe Raven is already good enough - the next biggest problem for track racing is not necessarily batteries vs supercaps, but rather sufficiently sized and cooled racing brakes and tires. If you listen to experienced drivers` feedback on M3P on the track (e.g. Rosberg, or the Auto Motor und Sport Tester, Mr. Bloch), the biggest complaint is that the brakes and tires start to overheat and fade after about 1 lap.

Maybe we really don`t need anything too special, just a better aero package, brakes and tires for the Raven Performance Model S. BTW for the money they are asking for it, that variant should really come with more HW differentiation from a normal Model S.

Look at the Taycan brakes. These have 16.5" rotors and ten-piston calipers in the front. Whatever that means. (Well, i think it means it is big enough and is cooled well enough to heavily decelerate a 2.5 ton car dozens of times during multiple laps)
porsche-taycan-1915.jpg

I just signed up to participate in a local Drive Electric Week event next weekend. My wife and daughter are doing a girl’s trip in the S, so I’m going to bring my little FIAT 500e commuter car, figuring it offers another perspective on BEV driving compared to the slew of Tesla’s already signed up. I’m curious about the turnout and interest, but anecdotally I’ve been getting asked about having a short range (but very cheap, used!) EV as a daily driver more and more.

Also, we got our solar PV + 2 Powerwall installation signed off by the local inspector on Monday, but the power company has advised 10-12 weeks (!!!!) for permit to operate. Can Tesla recognize our system in Q3 if it doesn’t receive PTO until Q4? (I realize we’re merely a drop in the bucket!)

Hey, Karen!

Fastest-ever Lamborghini gets power boost from a supercapacitor

Fastest-ever Lamborghini gets power boost from a supercapacitor — CNBC

(Runs away)................

Since you raised that article please note that "fastest-ever Lamborghini" is not electric, it gets its performance from "a 774-horsepower V12 combustion engine". The anemic supercapacitor-powered 34-horsepower electric motor is just their KERS system. But all of that expense just to add ~4% power? Further notice the capacitors appear to have been embedded in the chassis "in the form of porous carbon nanotubes". What could possibly go wrong.

Then there is perhaps the most puzzling quote of all: "Instead of one massive, flammable, solid surface weighing the car down, the reservoir of energy becomes the chassis itself." They had to toss "solid" in there or you would be forgiven for thinking they were referring to the gasoline tank. That's "one massive, flammable, source of combustion" right there. Sigh.

@KarenRei I understand your frustration, but I thought the details of the latest "reason" for using super capacitors helps to explain in practical terms that no one is using them outside of KERS for ICE. Your explanation fills out why that's the case (EVs are better off using the battery). Showing that theory matches practice.