Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 372913 View attachment 372912 View attachment 372911

Don't tell us that. For our family of four outdoor recreation lovers, the Model 3 is fantastic. The cabin is very spacious for four people, it only gets a little tight when trying to fit three adults across the back seat. The trunk, sub-trunk space and frunk can haul a lot of gear.

I took my father and two sons fishing on Vancouver Island. We flew there and rented an SUV to get to the fishing lodge. The three coolers of fish we caught (150 lbs of cleaned and frozen salmon and halibut) and all our personal gear completely filled the back of the Jeep Grand Cherokee we rented as we drove back from the fishing lodge to the airport. I was concerned about fitting all the fish, gear and people into my Model 3 so we could drive home from the airport, but I needn't have worried, we managed to fit it all in.

Then of course there's the roof box option. We've done two week long ski trips, fitting our family of four, gear, food and entertainment for a week into our Model 3 with the help of a roof box. 2,500 km accumulated with the roof box on those two trips. Have another planned next month at our favourite ski resort 900 km away.

The Model 3 has proven to be an excellent vehicle for hauling our family and gear to our adventures. The storage capacity of the trunk, under trunk space and frunk has proven to be similar to what we could store in a mid-sized SUV (Highlander, Touareg, Grand Cherokee) behind the second row seat, although the car can't swallow large, bulky items like an SUV can.

Market relavence(?): I think we North Americans with our "bigger is better" mindset when it comes to vehicles are seriously underestimating how popular the Model 3 will be in places like Europe where smaller cars are valued once they have the opportunity to experience the storage capacity and utility of the car. Don't underestimate it.
Awesome pics man!

Ok, if you consider performance, then yes.
But remember that top 5 trade-ins include honda civic and toyota prius. These people are used to good fuel economy. In general, the smaller the car the better its mpg.
I traded in a Honda Civic for my l3mr. It is emphatically not an equivalent car. Not even remotely close. One is an econocar, the other is spacious (you really can seat three in the back) performance vehicle.

You cannot turn trade in vehicle to some sort of equivalence. What it does demonstrate that it took Tesla to convince me to go beyond an econocar.

edited to add --
As to economy: I'm not sure where this started, but I recently estimated my l3mr as 75mpg on a dollar equivalency. That beats the snot out of any car I've ever owned. Of course, buying a car for efficiency is always a financial loss and unsound policy (you'll save far more money by getting a cheap car).

I think you can. Some of these people will be considering that "I'm not going to save 10x on gas, prob. 2x".
And for other people, who burn gas @15mpg it seems efficiency should not be much of a concern.
Well, I think I can safely say without fear of contradiction that my savings on gas are infinite :D

Oh, you meant the cost of energy? People aren't going to be seeing that directly: your electrical bill will increase, but as I already knew from past experience it would be underwhelming. (See, I have a huge, I forget how many kw draw, special wiring required device. Turns out its effect on our electrical bill was negligible.)

What owners will notice is that they no longer have to go to the gas station.

And, speaking as someone who in fact did go from an econocar and is very sensitive to pricing (I'm still feeling it for having purchased last year and spent $2k more than someone this year as I don't qualify for tax breaks) -- yeah, the pricing of energy was never a consideration for me.

Let's put it another way: people who drive econocars are not exactly the sort who typically work out the 5-year ROI and view a car purchase as a financial investment. What they will see is the upfront cost and how much their monthly payments will be.* If they buy a Tesla it will be for different reasons, such as 1) safety, 2) no more going to gas stations, 3) performance, 4) autopilot. Okay, honestly, in this group safety doesn't factor (though it was and is my number one).

But energy efficiency? They may talk about it, but they aren't going to crunch the numbers and from their perspective the cost "just goes away".

* car sales guys will use low sales price to entice a buyer, but work the monthly payment as high as they can. They are quite good at this (its their job) but occasionally mistakes are made -- I knew one buyer where the sales guy accidentally dropped the price a bit too much making the interest usurious so post sale the dealership was forced to lower the monthly payment. Not that it helped the buyer much: the interest was still extremely high and the car was worth less than the sales price.

Not surprising. The dress-like-a-pirate lifestyle brand seems to only appeal to Boomers. In terms of tech HD bikes are old hat: carbureted, air cooled V-twins. Competitors have moved on to liquid cooled, parallel/flat arrangements in 2+ cylinders with shaft drives (for way less money).
Having known harley davidson riders it isn't necessarily the mode of dress (though one did do that), mostly it is about the sound. Crazy, I know, but that is where it is at for Harley afficiandos.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Having known harley davidson riders it isn't necessarily the mode of dress (though one did do that), mostly it is about the sound. Crazy, I know, but that is where it is at for Harley afficiandos.

Was a bit the same when I used to ride Ducatis - the air-cooled ones were the best, with illegal carbon-fibre Termignoni cans...

At least the Dukes handled like a dream, try riding a Harley like that and you be in the hedge!

CNBC have removed the word "tiny" from the headline, but it's still in the article.

It's a clear lie, misreporting what was on Elon's email!!

upload_2019-1-29_21-35-9.png

CNBC writes:

'Tiny profit'
Musk said preliminary results show the company made a profit on an unadjusted basis during the fourth quarter of 2018, but it was less than the previous three months. In the first quarter, higher-priced Model 3s to Europe and Asia "will hopefully allow us, with great difficulty, effort and some luck, to target a tiny profit," Musk said in a Jan. 18 company update.

They even supply the URL where Elon states "This quarter", as in 19Q1:

In Q3 last year, we were able to make a 4% profit. While small by most standards, I would still consider this our first meaningful profit in the 15 years since we created Tesla. However, that was in part the result of preferentially selling higher priced Model 3 variants in North America. In Q4, preliminary, unaudited results indicate that we again made a GAAP profit, but less than Q3. This quarter, as with Q3, shipment of higher priced Model 3 variants (this time to Europe and Asia) will hopefully allow us, with great difficulty, effort and some luck, to target a tiny profit.

• Informative
Reactions: M|S|W and humbaba
I will make a bolt prediction right here, right now - it is a bit OT - yet very much related to TSLA and market movements so I won't mark it OT just yet:

Prediction: we will see many more examples of "easily preventable Tesla investor communications blunders". We will see them not because Elon Musk hates TSLA investors but we will see them as Tesla shifts from "funded through the capital markets and thus being exposed to FUD of short-sellers" to "self-funding through free cash-flow from a very significant Model 3 production". If I'm correct then we all including the institutional investors are less relevant in future to the success of Tesla. Thus communication will be focused on customers, employees and anything else that advances the Tesla mission.

tl;dr: I do believe there is a reason for the end of the 75D versions. I don't think Tesla believes that TSLA needs to be pampered urgently and thus we will hear about it later. For now the key aspect of the communication was directed at customers to manage their expectations without generating one huge last wave of 75D sales.

In short, I disagree: I don't think "it will not be good" I simply think "it is not important enough to Tesla right now".

i've never seen someone TL;DR their TL;DR before. Kudos!

Last edited: