Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watching CNBC now.

CNBC Schmucks: Ford says we have hit peak auto sales and Tesla had stalled revenue so there is no future for TSLA growth.
Me: Yelling at TV, now you want to portray Tesla as just another automaker making cars no one wants to buy? Car buyers don't want the same dreck that Ford, GM and others peddle.

All of the major financial news hubs have portrayed themselves as anti-EV and/or anti-Tesla for some time now. Doesn't watching the normal garbage on CNBC give you a headache anyway? :D

Congrats to the Oct 25 out of the money call buyers - didn't pull the trigger goddamnit.

We have sold so many Powerwalls in the last 2 weeks. Many customers buying 3-5 of them. Some customers buying 18 of them, because they are ballers like that.

With power outages here, its going to become a luxury that all the very affluent homes will have or want to have very soon.

Energy is going to be huge over the next few years, exciting! Thanks for the free marketing PG&E!
Some folks in my local club are looking at trying to do a group buy just to take advantage of new TOU rates we have. 26 cents peak vs 4 cents off peak.

It doesn't seem to be a great ROI, but you also get power in case of outages (though they are rare here as our utility does a great job in that area).

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
....Finally, you can see the cost to Tesla, the other legacy automakers will have the same costs. ....

Don’t see that being true as Tesla keeps its cost down by developing/manufacturing much of the cars in house cutting out middle man. VW doesn’t have battery production of their own yet, doesn’t have the breath of software development for car operation or infotainment that Tesla does, not sure about other components. Also since they are still supporting ICE vehicles, what happens to their part costs when the quantities ordered get reduced? Higher prices from their suppliers like one would expect?

Reactions: X Fan
Maximum count is determined by size of service and distance from transformer to service. This Mansion has a 1000A service, and will have 3-5 gateways, 96-120 PV modules and about 18 Powerwalls divided among the backup gateways.

The home will also have a backup generator backing up the whole thing, Its a fun job and a fun customer.
1000A service?! What size wire is run for that?

In profit on 5 batches of shares here, but down still on my horrible $385 ones still. I've decided to hold on over the next few days and see if the (relatively) positive news coverage pushes us higher. I've waited this long to turn green on these trades, and am wary of irrationally closing these positions the minute they are in profit. I can understand a lot of people taking profits today but we are so close to seeing M3s roll out of GF3 and a ramp up of smart summon improvements that I think I'd be nuts to close out now.

Reactions: MikeC and humbaba
All of the major financial news hubs have portrayed themselves as anti-EV and/or anti-Tesla for some time now. Doesn't watching the normal garbage on CNBC give you a headache anyway? :D

Congrats to the Oct 25 out of the money call buyers - didn't pull the trigger goddamnit.
I almost never watch CNBC but nothing else on now while I'm spending my day reading TMC (and my wife says I never get anything accomplished). Just interesting to see what they have to say on TSLA. They are predominately clueless.

If they will answer this question privately this will be insiders information, or not?

I’m pretty sure the comments about this were from Andrea James, who was an analyst for years. The description of this process indicated that it is a standard aspect of the relationship between analysts and public companies. I very much agree with what I infer as your preference for a level playing field re investing in public companies with no added material access to information for these banks. Maybe we can get there, but will involve systemic change curbing the influence of organizations with massive concentrated influence.

In profit on 5 batches of shares here, but down still on my horrible $385 ones still. I've decided to hold on over the next few days and see if the (relatively) positive news coverage pushes us higher. I've waited this long to turn green on these trades, and am wary of irrationally closing these positions the minute they are in profit. I can understand a lot of people taking profits today but we are so close to seeing M3s roll out of GF3 and a ramp up of smart summon improvements that I think I'd be nuts to close out now.
After consideration, I've decided that instead of selling some stock to diversify (I'm currently something like 99.9% $TSLA) I will instead buy other stock with any new money I have for investing (which will be a while yet). I just can't bear to part with any shares.

But if there's another nice dip down -- and I have money -- I'll buy more $TSLA anyway. My only regret with it having traded under <$200 is that I didn't have more money I could use to buy shares with. Something something something having money to buy food and pay utilities.

Just watching CNBC now.

CNBC Schmucks: Ford says we have hit peak auto sales and Tesla had stalled revenue so there is no future for TSLA growth.
Me: Yelling at TV, now you want to portray Tesla as just another automaker making cars no one wants to buy? Car buyers don't want the same dreck that Ford, GM and others peddle.

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of morons that will drop 60-70K for a new Exploder, Hajlander, RRover... The battle is still long from being over.

I would say that product and strategy have been fine, but the company has succeeded despite obvious problems (in manufacturing quality, clueless sales and inferior service) with process.
Robin

I think you got two disagres due to your fancypants use of italics :)

I think Musk has probably endured enough pain to realize that installing a boring parts inventory systems needs to come before a fanciful lights out factory.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carl Raymond
Oil backed short interest is protecting a trillion dollar market cap and tesla represents the aspiration of future cars and hence future oil revenue. So oil backed short interest could theoretically sink tesla to protect their market, so it remains important to get as many cars out to consumers so that a tipping point or inflection might come about where a percentage of consumers just do not need gas. Thankfully still need electricity to charge other devices, so EVs aren't going anywhere. Added to this is PG&E planned outages will force new home construction in California to include home battery backup. So continued thank you to PG&E and of course porsche who singlehandedly gave tesla the stamp of legitimacy with their lower range over priced toycan.
Other California utility companies with fire abatement strategies inlude SDGE and SoCal edison.

Analysts:

Wedbush: Price Target moved from $220 to $270, Maintains Neutral rating
RBC: Price Target from $190 to $220, Maintains Underperform
Nomura: from $270 to $300, Maintains Neutral
JP Morgan: From 200 to $220, Maintains Underweight
Credit Suisse: From 189 to $200, Reiterates Underperform
Canaccord Genuity: From $350 to $375, Reiterates Buy
Oppenheimer: From $356 to $385, Keeps Outperform.

seeing Wedbush at the top of your post, I thought of Dan Ives and my mind immediately jumped to the phrase “neutral rating” and misread it as... neutral ranting!

I think that’s actually a pretty good descriptor of what Dan and most hosts at financial networks do.

They’ll put on an air of faux ‘adult in the room authority’ (faux neutrality) to concern troll and try to frame the discussion in laughably fabricated and goal post moving bear narratives (ranting masked by the adult in the room tone & fabricated/distorted context of their comments & questions). That CNBC interview with Cathie and Pierre is a great example. That said, very pleased that Cathie & Pierre were at least invited to be guests.

Last edited:
Musk will always have more ideas than the capital to make those ideas happen. Companies pay dividends when they more cash than ideas with a good ROI. Apple can't come up with enough big ideas that support rational investment.

Traditional car companies now wish they could stop dividends and invest in the new technologies. But they can't.
In order to get to Mars, will have to generate alot of cash, so i'm sure besides the mission of tesla to accelerate adoption of EV and clean energy, there is probably a fine print mission statement saying tesla will maximize profits in order to fund a Mars settlement...