Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In profit on 5 batches of shares here, but down still on my horrible $385 ones still. I've decided to hold on over the next few days and see if the (relatively) positive news coverage pushes us higher. I've waited this long to turn green on these trades, and am wary of irrationally closing these positions the minute they are in profit. I can understand a lot of people taking profits today but we are so close to seeing M3s roll out of GF3 and a ramp up of smart summon improvements that I think I'd be nuts to close out now.

Just a note: it’s irrational to look at the shares in groups by purchase price like that. The shares are essentially commodities, so no one is worth any more than any other. If you want to look at profit/loss on your shares, it’s only rational to look at average price paid vs current SP(though, really, even looking at the original price you paid is, in itself, irrational. All that matters is current SP and future expected SP curve)

Just watching CNBC now.

CNBC Schmucks: Ford says we have hit peak auto sales and Tesla had stalled revenue so there is no future for TSLA growth.
Me: Yelling at TV, now you want to portray Tesla as just another automaker making cars no one wants to buy? Car buyers don't want the same dreck that Ford, GM and others peddle.

If you noticed, they're ALL reporters/anchors on set. ZERO analyst or company reps. I think/hope that most people realize that these TV "personalities" are just giving their opinions. You know, the English and Journalism majors...

They don't have massive cash balances AFAIK. They currently have a large positive cash flow before dividends. Their owners rely on these dividends for income.

Millions of retirees own automobile stocks in income funds.

245 billion as of Q1 2019. That's an awful lot.
Apple now has $245 billion cash on hand, up 3% from previous quarter

In profit on 5 batches of shares here, but down still on my horrible $385 ones still. I've decided to hold on over the next few days and see if the (relatively) positive news coverage pushes us higher. I've waited this long to turn green on these trades, and am wary of irrationally closing these positions the minute they are in profit. I can understand a lot of people taking profits today but we are so close to seeing M3s roll out of GF3 and a ramp up of smart summon improvements that I think I'd be nuts to close out now.
I didn't start investing in TSLA because I thought I could sell at 300 for a small profit. ;)
If I wanted that I would have stuck to index funds.

In order to get to Mars, will have to generate alot of cash, so i'm sure besides the mission of tesla to accelerate adoption of EV and clean energy, there is probably a fine print mission statement saying tesla will maximize profits in order to fund a Mars settlement...

That "fine print" is essentially codified in Musk's compensation package. If he hits all the very ambitious production, profitability and share price targets specified in his compensation package he will be the most highly paid CEO in the history of the world. If the company stagnates, he gets nothing.

In order to get to Mars, will have to generate alot of cash, so i'm sure besides the mission of tesla to accelerate adoption of EV and clean energy, there is probably a fine print mission statement saying tesla will maximize profits in order to fund a Mars settlement...
Tesla can't fund a Mars settlement AFAIK.

True, but if the TSLA share price rises enough to trigger Elon's compensation package, he might invest some of the proceeds in SpaceX to accelerate a Mars program. :cool:

True, but if the TSLA share price rises enough to trigger Elon's compensation package, he might invest some of the proceeds in SpaceX to accelerate a Mars program. :cool:
Better than parking profits in Ireland. And tesla pivots to energy distribution service (see new language on tesla solar)-- and may be with wireless energy transfer beams energy to mars via quantum photon teleportation.

If you noticed, they're ALL reporters/anchors on set. ZERO analyst or company reps. I think/hope that most people realize that these TV "personalities" are just giving their opinions. You know, the English and Journalism majors...

I think to a large extent they are simply presenters reading paid programming. Two time Emmy award winning investigative journalist Sharyl Attkisson, who after two decades quit her network job at CBS over this growing pay-for-play phenomena, has helped me see it that way. She’s written books and given talks largely on this subject.

Just a note: it’s irrational to look at the shares in groups by purchase price like that. The shares are essentially commodities, so no one is worth any more than any other. If you want to look at profit/loss on your shares, it’s only rational to look at average price paid vs current SP(though, really, even looking at the original price you paid is, in itself, irrational. All that matters is current SP and future expected SP curve)

For tax purposes, you need to look at the cost basis for whatever lot you are selling. In the US, if you don't specify which lot you are selling, it will be first in, first out.

But other than for tax purposes your cost basis has zero relevance. You own whatever you own. What you paid for it simply doesn't matter. But people, being humans, have emotions and they tend to measure their self-worth, their intelligence or whatever, by what they paid for something and whether it's worth more or less now. Absolutely understandable but idiotic and foolish nonetheless. Today, you own whatever you own. And since stocks that make sharp moves upward have a natural tendency to keep rising, it's generally a poor idea to sell just because a stock moved higher into a new trading range. And yet, that is what many do, being human and all, which is why we see this dip today. I have little doubt it will fill and continue to move higher in the coming weeks. All that matters from where you stand today is its performance going forward, not what you paid for it.

The fact that apple can't figure out something to do with their massive bank account tells me that they are on the decline and are just in harvesting mode. They really should have considered buying Tesla or doing something similar I think.
Bean-counter Cook only looks at profit. Doing something new risks profit.

Analysts need to (re)learn the fact that just as you do not judge Apple (Watch) by the standards that applied to Bulova and Timex, you cannot judge Tesla by the standards that applied to GM, Ford, FCA, etc.

Imagine if Ford / GM / FCA owned not just the factories that make their cars, but also the oil wells, refineries, dealerships, gas stations, fuel distribution network, and insurance companies associated with their vehicles. That's a clue to Tesla's potential.

(And that doesn't even factor in the self-driving constellation of potential).

Ihor's latest note about the ongoing TSLA short squeeze:

S3 Analytics: Tesla Shorts Down $1.4 billion on Q3 Results – Shortsight.com

"We are expecting more short covering and the continuation of this long-term short squeeze as TSLA’s stock price continues to show strength. While longer term TSLA shorts may not feel this squeeze, shorter term shorts certainly are feeling the squeeze and buying to cover. TSLA shorts may, in reality, be truly bifurcated: the older shorts with much more conviction and staying power and the newer shorts who are more momentum based, more willing to exit a losing position. While the first group is realtively short squeeze impervious, the second group is much more susceptible to stock price based buying and selling."​