Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Right_Said_Fred why do you say another two years? All they have said is that production in GF4 is to start in 2021. That could be in as little as 14 months or as many as 26 months. If you use GF3 as an example if they announce in December and break ground in January they could start making cars in January, 2021. (Just slightly slower than "China speed".)

I live in Europe, so I know how things work here. Getting permits will be the main obstacle, as Tesla has already experienced several times (Elon having to come over to get things fixed). Regulations are another one. Local governments can delay a building project if even one endangered toad is found, or some archeological remnants. Two years to start of production is actually optimistic. But I’d love to be proven wrong.

Notes from Panasonic Q2 2020
upload_2019-10-31_0-46-30.png

upload_2019-10-31_0-54-55.png

upload_2019-10-31_0-50-19.png

Amazingly, I agreed with 90% of the points Adam Jonas made. In this interview he certainly was showing an increasing amount of respect towards Tesla, and even defended Tesla against the negative narrative of the Bloomberg reporter.

The contrast he drew between Toyota (most valuable auto company with zero EVs) and Tesla (most shorted auto company with only EVs) was downright genial. I almost came to the conclusion that he cares about the EV transition. ;)

A few mistakes he made IMO:
  • He hyped fleet EV sales - while missing the immense rate of simple ICE replacement sales that are ~15 million vehicles per year in the US alone. Those are the primary target of EV market share expansion. Yes, more difficult - but also highly lucrative and the viral marketing is very valuable for zero-advertising Tesla, more so than corporate fleet sales.
  • He completely ignored the commercial EV truck business (Tesla Semi), which is both huge and high margin, and easier to disrupt because fleet sales are indeed the major expansion factor there, and it's the bottom line that matters in the trucking business, not perception and consumer fears. Regulatory limits against ICE trucks will also be imposed faster, once there are competitive EV trucks.
  • He thinks Tesla's China margin improvements will be temporary: big mistake, China wants 100% EV sales by 2030-2035, and they just built a factory for Tesla in record time to accelerate that process, using their star state owned construction firm that they use for high profile construction projects. China: ~25 million vehicle sales per year, ~5 million of them in Tesla's price category ... addressable market: 10x of Tesla's current global production, and if China GDP grows 6-7% per year that expands car ASPs as well.
But nice interview overall, I can see the old Adam Jonas of 2015-2016 who was a Tesla super-bull, rising from the ashes again. :D
Fool me once.....

My jaw is dropping here. Apple is not going to go into the auto-making business with Tesla and they certainly aren't going to do it on their own. It's like you don't understand that money alone cannot solve all the barriers to entry of auto manufacturing. Tesla won't have them and they can't do it alone. This much is as obvious as the fact that the sun will rise tomorrow. Maybe they will tie the knot with Toyota or Honda. Maybe GMC. Even then, the combined effort could not possibly offer credible competition to Tesla for (at a minimum) 5 years. More likely 8 or 9 years even if things went relatively well.

Your view of Apple is divorced from reality in my experience. Apple was never "cool and slick" to most people I knew. We always thought Apple was designed for idiots. Of course, it sold well, fortunately there are plenty of people who are challenged by anything more complicated than sending a tweet or tying their shoe! Android gave the power to the user. Users could make it as simple or complex as they desired. Apple dumbed everything down until you couldn't even make it do what you wanted or how you wanted it to do it. Then you slam MSFT products as being "nerdy" or "boring". Since when is innovation boring? Need I remind you that over the last 5 years MSFT stock has nearly *twice* the returns vs. AAPL stock? That's because Apple is relatively weak when it comes to true innovation. And you think Apple can design and manufacture a competitive EV? I think you're divorced from reality. Because that requires *massive* innovation.

Tesla has paid their dues when it comes to learning how to make cars. Apple has not. Why would Tesla *ever* partner with Apple?
Apple does have great silicon design skills. They could probably design their own HW3 AI chip. But I doubt they have the other FSD pieces in place. They could write their own road simulator, but would have to purchase extensive training data from say Waymo or others. They could probably hire talented engineers with a power power electronics background and battery background. They certainly would have the expertise to design an integrated auto ”software stack” and infotainment system (I’ll stay away from the Apple vs Android debate).

But Tesla certainly has a huge lead in gaining actual manufacturing experience and feedback from a huge and growing fleet. It’s unclear how Apple would make the leap to large-scale manufacturing without partnering or they could perhaps license their design, although licensing is not their style. Hope these 5am thoughts make sense.

Apple does have great silicon design skills. They could probably design their own HW3 AI chip. But I doubt they have the other FSD pieces in place. They could write their own road simulator, but would have to purchase extensive training data from say Waymo or others. They could probably hire talented engineers with a power power electronics background and battery background. They certainly would have the expertise to design an integrated auto ”software stack” and infotainment system (I’ll stay away from the Apple vs Android debate).

But Tesla certainly has a huge lead in gaining actual manufacturing experience and feedback from a huge and growing fleet. It’s unclear how Apple would make the leap to large-scale manufacturing without partnering or they could perhaps license their design, although licensing is not their style. Hope these 5am thoughts make sense.
OT...
Sorry about your Astros. Crazy series.

Dan

The Pickup reveal had 2 Trucks - with Cyberpunk Bladerunner In front, and another one in the back.

View attachment 471659

has there been any discussion of why 2 trucks were shown ?

So what if both trucks are gonna be released at the same time. ....
( ... EM has said that they would do multi product lines at the same time in future ...)

~ Cheers
The truck inside was a Dodge Ram.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Altruistically, I would like to see them some day (perhaps in a few years, certainly well after FSD upgrades are done) offer free upgrades to non-FSD owners in the name of improved safety (after all, redundant processors and higher resolution NNs and all that must surely improve the safety features not just the self driving ones). Not enabling FSD, just giving them the better computer. Plus, you might snag a few more paid upgrades when the effort goes from pay money and wait to schedule retrofit, to just pay money.

I'd also like to see things like paid MCU upgrades be a thing for those with older screens/computers. They've sort of said they were going to do this for S/X but then AFAIK it hasn't happened yet. Some day there will be a faster / better MCU for 3/Y as well, and then I'll want it... and I'd rather pay cost + margin + labor than buy a new car.

Both of these of course would really need to wait on much greater service capacity to be built out...
What did they say they are they gonna do for us S and X owners with MCU upgrade?

iWhat I don't agree with is that buying a Tesla is a one way street. I think the Tesla is enough outside the norm that while most people who buy them will be happy, there will be a number that will get tired of the many "issues"
What many issues? Yes a few have issues, just like any car, and of course this forum shows a lot because most people--other than a few geeks, such as I--don't go to a forum unless they have an issue. Also the people who have issues tend to post the same issues many times increasing the perception of "many issues", but the majority just drive the car.

Just for grins I dropped by a Chevy dealer the other day and asked about the Bolt. They still can't answer basic questions about charging that an educated buyer might ask, like speed of charging at a DC fast charger for example. She did know the fastest it would level 2 charge was 32 amps and the battery was 60 kWh, which I just read has been bumped to 66 kWh in 2020 cars which I would expect are out now. So why didn't she know this???.
Most salespeople in retail stores and dealerships know little about the product they sell other than the name, cost, and financing (where applicable). Even for specialized retail stores, where you'd think they would need to know because the average buyer would know little about the product and have questions, this is true. In general, if you have done any research on the product you're thinking of purchasing, you'll have a very good chance of knowing a lot more than the sales person.

Your concern about their capital is very overstated. A large percentage of the car is still a car be it an ICE or an EV. Only the motor and battery are different in reality. People convert literally any car made to an EV by replacing the motor and adding the battery. Done. Do you really think the major car makers can't figure out how to do that?.
You are missing a number of big points. First, the customers of traditional car manufacturers are the dealers, who absolutely do not want low maintenance electric cars. Second, sticking a battery and motor in a conventional car gives a sub-par experience. Example: Leaf. Note the poor sales of Leaf compared to Tesla. Second, you can't make electric cars without a supply of batteries, only Tesla has an actual plan for this (Yes, VW says they do, but they've been saying that for a very long time with little to show for it). Third, the 5% range reduction is more like 50% range reduction between Tesla and others. This gap will increase with new battery technology. And no, I don't think they can implement it even if they figure it out. This exact same thing happened in the tire industry when radial tires came in. The result is that only one North American tire manufacturer survived, and that was mainly because they had other products. Building a popular electric car is more than just sticking a motor and a battery in the car. People tend to purchase cars with emotions, so there needs to be something that sparks the buying emotion--in cars most typically this is performance or snob appeal, even if they don't purchase the top of the line model, or never add the racing parts to their car.

TWhile Musk may be thinking of private ownership with the car working for you, what is much more likely I think is self driving cars will become a common resource which we request when we want transportation, like cab companies or car rentals. Why would we want to have to park and garage and care for a vehicle when we can request a vehicle drive itself to us and take us where we want to go at a fraction of the cost of owning a car that will sit literally 95% of the time? At that point it won't be about the purchase price of the EV. It will be about the operating expense.
Musk is thinking of Robotaxis, he did an entire presentation about them. People who purchase cars do so mainly for the convenience of having a car always ready. If Robotaxis can make each trip seem like not a major expenditure and can be 95% as convenient as having a car right there, then most urban dwellers will use them instead of having a car. Even if that goal is achieved, it will take some time for adaptation so the private ownership with the car working for you could be a transition phase. We won't know until the network becomes reality.

Everything you say is true... but... They ARE forced to change so they will. At this point the wind is in their sails and they are making headway.

Your concern about their capital is very overstated. A large percentage of the car is still a car be it an ICE or an EV. Only the motor and battery are different in reality. People convert literally any car made to an EV by replacing the motor and adding the battery. Done. Do you really think the major car makers can't figure out how to do that?

Electric cars made by the majors might get 5% less range, or have half the horsepower, but these things are not essential. They do know how to design cars people want to buy. Don't you think Toyota will know how to sell EVs? They presently sell some 10 million (ballpark) cars a year. In a few years every size and shape of vehicle they sell will be an EV.

This isn't just going to hit Tesla. I expect some present brands of cars to go away or be assimilated by the Borg.
The big question for the legacy auto makers isn't whether they can make an EV, it is a question of whether they can do it on a mass scale and show profitability. As far as I know, the Tesla "competitors" have developed cars to sell in small numbers because they can't sell them at any significant profit so they are more of a liability to their bottom line than anything else. Until they figure this out (and to this point nobody has that I know of) EVs will simply be compliance cars that manufacturers make to either satisfy governmental emissions regulations or an attempt to improve public relations to show everyone how "eco friendly" they are.

Dan

It seems to me if we are to scale cheap solar to cover 100% of demand for the entire U.S., it would make sense to concentrate this capacity in states with a lot of sun and no winter. It would make solar cheaper for everyone. Compared to you having to install 2x panels to account for winter and still have a risk of blackout.

Assume we can't burn fossils anymore. Then where does this power come from?
Renewable is not limited to solar, so there is a mix. Then you have battery backup to make up the difference. IIRC, NY gets a lot of it's power from Quebec Hydro, so even in the best case you'd never have 100% solar. New York already is implementing offshore wind. So between solar, wind, and hydro all with battery backup, there shouldn't be an issue (always assuming the engineering and planning are done correctly).

Reactions: mongo
He completely lost me with the conclusion that competition would come from tech giants. A car is now is a blend of three fields of expertise, automotive/mechanical engineering, batteries/electronics, software. The tech giants have only the last.

Apple tried it with project Titan. How’s that going for them?

They all seem to forget that Tesla has been iterating and scaling since 2003 to get to here. No way in hell anybody can catch them, even with unlimited cash. Growth rate is not simply a function of spend rate. You can’t bribe a tree to grow faster.

True, but I think Jonas meant that the so called "MegaTech" industry is the only industry with enough resources/money to get in the ring with Tesla, implying they need to partner up with GM or VW. So basically if MegaTech partnered with VW to fund BEV growth and at the same time provide compelling tech for the coming cars, they could be competitive with Tesla and (re)gain a decent share of the market.

All in all he was very positive about Tesla, since the above is a Cinderella story for the time being. He basically said that Tesla has a gigantic lead and at the moment it is not yet clear who can deliver decent competition.

What I found a bit strange is that he kept going on about MegaTech being the key for competitors to catch up, without realizing (or at least acknowledging) that Tesla IS one of the best Tech companies out there, soon to be one of the MegaTech companies.

So I'm bullish. And I'm sure analyst upgrades are coming before Q4 is out.

Welcome to Top Gear, your ultimate source in utterly-faked (down to copied-off-the-internet VBox data) anti-Tesla videos.

He didn't even mention the fact that if the top speed is 155mph like they claim, then it's not a Raven. That VBox data is damning. Fake race. Liars. And to think I was giving them the benefit of the doubt of making honest mistakes.