Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if the stock went down to $50, they would have to pony up $20million.

and say a 25% margin to sell the 40K $50 puts, they would have needed $5million in their account.

That's probably the average TMC rich user's account. The one that is more impressive is the one who did the 50/100 put option for Jan 2020. Most likely a billionaire so waaay above the scope of TMC users.

Someone on reddit combined the two pics of the cybertruck that we currently have:

Cybertruck unveil invites going out : teslamotors

View attachment 476996

Elon said Cybertruck "looks like an armored personnel carrier from the future." Here's what APCs look like in the present:
Top 10 Armored Personnel Carriers | Military-Today.com

The sloped front end helps deflect projectiles, but would also work well for deflecting air from a high-speed vehicle.

If the front end is glass, it will provide good forward visibility, as folks here have noted. And it will still deflect projectiles if the glass is bulletproof, as Elon said it is.

Jaguar I Pace and Audi Etron outselling model S and X in Europe.

There are most certainly waiting list for Etron and Taycan.

EUR.jpg

EV Sales: Europe September 2019

How do the quarterly numbers look though? September is the last month of the quarter, when most deliveries are in the US.

• Helpful
Reactions: StealthP3D
I am extremely new to options but do any of you guys buy Tesla shares by selling cash covered puts with very short expiration date and have the strike price to be at break even? Seems like you make the premium if you do well and you are forced to buy the Tesla shares if it goes south. But if you were planning on buying shares anyway, I don't know if I see the downside. Again, just learned about this so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

I feel like for those who has a limit buy of say ..340 right now. Why not sell covered puts with that strike price and make premium again and again every few days until it hits vs not making the premium?

Last edited:
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I am extremely new to options but do any of you guys buy Tesla shares by selling cash covered puts with very short expiration date and have the strike price to be at break even? Seems like you make the premium if you do well and you are forced to buy the Tesla shares if it goes south. But if you were planning on buying shares anyway, I don't know if I see the downside. Again, just learned about this so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

I was thinking exactly your thoughts a few months ago in August 2019. Seemed like a great deal. Sold me stock and held cash a few weeks while selling OTM puts. That way, I thought, at least you get 5-6 dollars a share guaranteed each week. The problem is when the stock goes up 20-30 dollars in few days, you lose out because you may only get 5-6 dollar premium a a week. When the stock explodes higher week after week, you get left in the dust.

But it may be more viable now that TSLA is within 10% of ATH. If TSLA sits here for a while, your strategy could work. But now of course if you sell your stock to have cash to secure the ATM puts, you'll pay a pretty hefty tax bill if you rode the stock up from the low 200s.

But if it is fresh cash, it could work well. Just realize you may miss your chance to buy if stock keeps going straight up. And the few dollars you get in premium may not provide consolation.

Last edited:
I was thinking exactly your thoughts a few months in August 2019. Sold me stock and held cash a few weeks while selling OTM puts. That way you get 5-6 dollars a share guaranteed each week. The problem is when the stock goes up 20-30 dollars in a day, you lose out because you may only get 5-6 dollar premium a a week. When the stock explodes higher week after week, you get left in the dust.

But it may be more viable now that TSLA is within 10% of ATH. If TSLA sits here for a while, your strategy could work. But now of course if you sell your stock to have cash to secure the ATM puts, you'll pay a pretty hefty tax bill if you rode the stock up from the low 200s.

Yes but if you had a buy order limit of say 340..you would have lost out either way if stock explodes higher. So buy order limit is pretty much obsolete vs cash covered puts no?

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Yes but if you had a buy order limit of say 340..you would have lost out either way if stock explodes higher. So buy order limit is pretty much obsolete vs cash covered puts no?

Yes. No reason to wait out low price buy order when you can sell puts and get paid a premium to buy those shares if the price drops. I mostly agree.

Except that you can always cancel a buy order.

Once you sell a put and the price starts dropping, it will cost you more to buy it back and rid yourself of this obligation to buy should for any reason you change your mind while the price is still above the strike price.

Yes. No reason to wait out low price buy order when you can sell puts and get paid a premium to buy those shares if the price drops. I mostly agree.

Except that you can always cancel a buy order.

Once you sell a put and the price starts dropping, it will cost you more to buy it back and rid yourself of this obligation to buy should for any reason you change your mind while the price is still above the strike price.

That's true. but you are just accumulating as a long so it really doesn't matter what price you buy it at. That's why contracts that expires like 2 days out is key to this.

Ford in 5 years: "Hey look our F-150e can pull TWO horse trailers!"

Tesla in 5 years: Swirling red dust clears slowly to reveal a reentry-scarred Starship on Arcadia Planitia. In the thin Martian air, attenuated music is just discernible...is that...Wagner? A hatch snaps open, a ramp drops hard on the rocky plain, and Cybertruck comes charging out blasting Ride of the Valkyries and carves a giant red Tesla "T" in the untrammeled Martian soil.
Meh. The 2020 Ford Explorer is already on Mars ( just watch their TV commercials). o_O

Fjord.SpaceX.Dragon.Crew.ZoomZoom2.jpg

The 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum: Journey Home | Explorer | Ford | YouTube

P.S. Yes, that pic shows a mockup of SpaceX's Dragon2 capsule, extracted from Ford's Ad.

But notice how Ford Marketing added a porthole and CLEVERLY flipped the image so that the SpaceX cabin door would appear backwards.

LOSERS! :rolleyes:

PS2: Here's what the SpaceX capsule looks like on static display in cool blue.
See any 'Ford-miliarity'? (more like Faux-miliarity?)

IMG_0065.JPG

BAHAHAH!

Last edited:
Just realized. The generation that grew up watching blade runner, and thinking it was really cool (my generation) are now 50. Thus they have decent jobs, kids have left home, they have money...they are having a mid life crisis... they desperately want to regain the manly youth.
Maybe someone should sell them a truck that cleverly reminds them of their youth?

(also the APC in aliens...)
View attachment 477350

Where is the P in that APC? Two people laying down for sleep?

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3

Everyone is talking about how big the pick up market is...I think the CP has a shot at growing the truck market. For the reasons you listed and for people who wouldn't mind the utility but don't want to spend the gas money when they don't need that utility.

The whole point of a Tesla truck was to convince Detroit truck buyers to buy electric trucks and radically reduce their carbon footprint. And eat all of Detroit's profits and force them to electrify.

It is not to get urban West Coasters to trade in their Honda Civics for Tesla Cybertrucks.

The whole point of a Tesla truck was to convince Detroit truck buyers to buy electric trucks and radically reduce their carbon footprint.
If that was the whole point why did Elon make a truck which he said he doesn't know if people will like it or buy it?

You know, I actually don’t know if a lot of people will buy this pickup truck or not, but I don’t care. I mean I do care, eventually, you know. Like sure, I care. We wanna get gasoline, diesel pickup trucks off the road.
Doesn't seem as if he's in much of a hurry to have an impact with this particular vehicle.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
There is a difference. Limit order will trigger if SP dips under it even for a second.
For puts to be assigned, closing price on Friday needs to be below puts strike price.
And if there is aftermarket news that raises SP massively, you probably wouldn't even have puts assigned, even if technically you should be.

You are not the party that makes choice, that's a holder of options, so if SP goes up $50 in the aftermarket, they won't sell you stock... Or at least there is a chance as assignments are random from the pool of buyers, to the pool of holders.

So, yeah, almost the same, except for couple of possible black swans...