Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For $60k? I also think it's going to be challenging, but....
the thing is that the starting price is $43,895 - $7,500 (US credits) = $36,395 (for the select model). Obviously that comes with a bit lower range (230 vs 250mi) than the model 3, but it's a bit cheaper and significantly roomier.

Also if you pre-order the Mach-e Premium with extended battery, that sets you back $55,600 - $7,500 = $48,100. That's exactly in line with the Model Y long range model (in price and range). You can also order this without the extended battery and have a CUV for $43,100.

It's hard not to say that at least in range and pricing it's been positioned to be a direct competitor to the model Y and in some cases the model 3.

Production of the Mach-e First / Premium editions will start late 2020, just like the Model Y. Only the select edition and more sportier versions will be pushed out to 2021.

Why do you think it is roomier than the 3?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm rather surprised that nobody has mentioned the SuC fire in @ Wawa in New Jersey.

It's not much of a drama - no injuries or damage to property AFAIK, but the news-feeds are crawling with it and I think that's why the SP has been going the wrong way for the last couple of hours.

I wouldn't rule-out arson by those $TSLAQ nutcases...

Fred Alert: Tesla Supercharger station caught on fire while ~13 gas stations had fires - Electrek

Extracts:

A Tesla Supercharger station located at a Wawa convenience store in New Jersey caught on fire yesterday. The cause of the fire is currently unknown and Tesla is reportedly investigating the situation.

“Tesla had an issue with their cabinet and the power has been shut off while they are investigating. Our store was unaffected as it is on a completely separate power line.”

The fire department was quickly on the scene and the fire appeared to be quickly under control.

No injury has been reported.

We contacted Tesla, who is reportedly investigating the situation, to learn more about the fire. We will update if we get more information.

There were previous instances of fires at Supercharger stations, but they always involved Tesla vehicles catching on fire and not the Supercharger station itself.

It might be a first.

In comparison, every year more than 5,000 gas station fires are reported in the US, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
I saw that but thought it was such a nothing burger I forgot about it.

Of course the Hull's and Lopez's of the world won't.

Tesla: a company making exclusively EVs.

Their entire expertise and business model are related to EV manufacturing. They focus all their efforts in optimising battery performance (lifetime / no. of cycles, stability, energy density, power, etc.) and motor performance (specific power, efficiency, etc.), and they have over one decade experience in the field. They make all the critical components of the vehicles themselves, and try their hardest to have a perfect integration between all these components.

The survival of the company depends on their ability to reliably manufacture multiple classes of compelling EVs in large numbers within the next couple of years. Elon Musk is painfully aware of this, and is laser-focused on achieving this goal.

Ford (and most other traditional OEMs): a company dipping their toes into EV design & manufacturing.

The vast majority of their expertise and business models is related to internal-combustion engines and vehicle sales through dealerships. They are currently focusing a marginal amount of resources into producing EVs that look competitive on paper, using off-the-shelf components from battery and electric motor suppliers. The "aggressive" ones might require custom-made battery cell chemistries (not really clear on this one) and might get involved in motor design. None of them produce their own batteries, and some of them want to design proprietary EV "platforms", more typically as part of a collaboration with other OEMs or battery manufacturers. They integrate these off-the-shelf components with all the other components they use for their ICEVs, with minimal optimisation.

The survival of these companies depends on their ability to reliably manufacture multiple classes of compelling EVs in large numbers within the next couple of years. Most of them don't realise it, and expect a linear, very gradual increase in demand for EVs that should take a minimum of 10 years. They are wrong.

That the Mach-E might be price comparable to the Model Y because of the rebate highlights how poorly designed the law was. It is benefiting a company that drug it's heels on moving into EVs and now the companies that pushed early and actually created the market (Nissan, Tesla, GM) are being punished.

The credit should have been for the first X number of EVs of ANY type sold.

Tesla: a company making exclusively EVs.

Their entire expertise and business model are related to EV manufacturing. They focus all their efforts in optimising battery performance (lifetime / no. of cycles, stability, energy density, power, etc.) and motor performance (specific power, efficiency, etc.), and they have over one decade experience in the field. They make all the critical components of the vehicles themselves, and try their hardest to have a perfect integration between all these components.

The survival of the company depends on their ability to reliably manufacture multiple classes of compelling EVs in large numbers within the next couple of years. Elon Musk is painfully aware of this, and is laser-focused on achieving this goal.

Ford (and most other traditional OEMs): a company dipping their toes into EV design & manufacturing.

The vast majority of their expertise and business models is related to internal-combustion engines and vehicle sales through dealerships. They are currently focusing a marginal amount of resources into producing EVs that look competitive on paper, using off-the-shelf components from battery and electric motor suppliers. The "aggressive" ones might require custom-made battery cell chemistries (not really clear on this one) and might get involved in motor design. None of them produce their own batteries, and some of them want to design proprietary EV "platforms", more typically as part of a collaboration with other OEMs or battery manufacturers. They integrate these off-the-shelf components with all the other components they use for their ICEVs, with minimal optimisation.

The survival of these companies depends on their ability to reliably manufacture multiple classes of compelling EVs in large numbers within the next couple of years. Most of them don't realise it, and expect a linear, very gradual increase in demand for EVs that should take a minimum of 10 years. They are wrong.

Love this post!

Do you mind if I borrow it, and post as a thread on Twitter for TSLAQ crowd? ,-)

I'm rather surprised that nobody has mentioned the SuC fire in @ Wawa in New Jersey.

It's not much of a drama - no injuries or damage to property AFAIK, but the news-feeds are crawling with it and I think that's why the SP has been going the wrong way for the last couple of hours.

I wouldn't rule-out arson by those $TSLAQ nutcases...

Fred Alert: Tesla Supercharger station caught on fire while ~13 gas stations had fires - Electrek

Extracts:

A Tesla Supercharger station located at a Wawa convenience store in New Jersey caught on fire yesterday. The cause of the fire is currently unknown and Tesla is reportedly investigating the situation.

“Tesla had an issue with their cabinet and the power has been shut off while they are investigating. Our store was unaffected as it is on a completely separate power line.”

The fire department was quickly on the scene and the fire appeared to be quickly under control.

No injury has been reported.

We contacted Tesla, who is reportedly investigating the situation, to learn more about the fire. We will update if we get more information.

There were previous instances of fires at Supercharger stations, but they always involved Tesla vehicles catching on fire and not the Supercharger station itself.

It might be a first.

In comparison, every year more than 5,000 gas station fires are reported in the US, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Was autopilot engaged?

Why do you think it is roomier than the 3?

Just based on the official dimensions and first reviews. The Mach e is a CUV and it's significantly higher with larger cargo space.

EDIT: just to throw in some numbers for comparison. The model 3 has a combined 15 cu ft cargo space (frunk + trunk), while the mach-e has 29 (rear seats up) + 4.9 (frunk).

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Now that we've seen the Mexican made Mustang I've had a change of heart. BUILD THAT WALL!

Why all the hate. Lets embrace it. They should have a trim called TE that comes with a poster of Danny Trejo racing into battle with his Ford Mach-E-TE, wearing a Sombrero, guns blazing. Notice the moustache on the grill, it would be perfect. That would be PR Musk style.

Does Tesla bring a lift to your job?

Unfortunately, many Tesla owners need to take their cars to actual service centers where waits can be very long.

Most of the car buying public trust traditional auto companies more than Tesla.

I guess you are right that each time this "competitor" nonsense comes up Tesla got dinged because lots of people believe that nonsense you said there.

Just like Apple is doomed whenever there's a new smartphone on the market. Likewise Amazon had been doomed for a dozen times already, when BN, Macy's, Walmart or even Sears opened it's online store front. After all, most people trust "real" retailers, right?

This, of course ignores numerous reports that dealers hate to sell EVs, and it matches our personal experience too. Who knew?

And getting my leaf serviced at a Nissan dealer is not exactly a walk in the park. Others can get their cars serviced in about an hour, yet leaf owners must leave their cars for a day since very few people there can do that stuff.

And this is bay area with tons of EVs. Now if you're in Indiana with only a couple of mach e owners around the town? which dealer would spend the money to train EV technicians to service that two cars when the skill is mostly useless on gas cars? And chances are that skill won't be used once in a year as the two Mach E never need service in the first place?

Lift, huh? The precious little machine you can't live without I guess? I had a 2002 Ford Taurus that gives me lots of headaches and endless financial pains as a poor graduate student, including the dreaded engine synchronizor failure that may kill you, fuel line leaking, alternator failure, cabinet thermo sensor failure, brake pedal sensor wire shorts, the list goes on. Guess what, none of that required a lift to fix.

There is no denying Tesla's service problems. But from my experience as a Leaf owners I don't expect Ford can do better. The only advantage maybe collision repair and even that is questionable.

What's more, based on recent Bloomberg survey and many anecdotal owner reporting here the service problems are getting solved. Over time we can expect the stupid laws that forbid Tesla from opening service centers would be repealed too.

I don't have high confidence on the stealership servicing EVs as they hate EVs to their gut.