Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boys and girls ....we have won.
The tide has turned...... the sideline sitters now know the truth.

They can either join...(and now it cost's them dearly to do so)...or they can fade to nothing.

Never has a path been so clear.

No matter the money or muscle amassed against clean energy....we have won.
We have NOT.
Perhaps this is a turning point in a single battle, but certainly not yet against the forces amassed against clean energy.
Do not let down your guard, or efforts.

Well, we kinda know they are working on the stuff that is much better than today.

The question about battery investor day is the timing - are they going to tell us it will take them 2 years to build a new GF and make this live or that they are about to start manufacturing it.

Do they want to Osborne today's batteries? My hope is no. Although, if it's still far away, people would prob. buy what they have today. Anyway, it's better than what everybody else has.

well it’s interesting that the foreign Giga factories running or planned will be producing vehicles with the 2170 cell, Model 3 and Y. This new battery tech will most likely be made at GF1 in the states and going into high margin production vehicles such as Model S/X, Semi and Cybertruck. The only product to Osborned will be the S/X and Elon already let the cat out of the bag with Plaid being available next year. Whether that means available for production or for order remains to be seen.

I think it will be awhile before this tech drifts down to 3 and Y.

We have NOT.
Perhaps this is a turning point in a single battle, but certainly not yet against the forces amassed against clean energy.
Do not let down your guard, or efforts.
I believe this because when I look around globally I see it.
Yes there will be fights and setback's but the tide has turned and clean energy has won.

It not only is the right thing .....but most crucially it is the economic winner....and that is why we have won.

Yeah, really looking for a scale-up so every wind farm can get them installed soon. Integrated solar/Megapacks would be a drop-in replacement for NG Peaker.
That would happen if there is some breakthrough that Tesla can make 10x the batteries they do now. Maybe we will go in this direction during battery investor day. This will be the biggest pop to the stock of all of the events.

Reactions: imherkimer
Given we’ve now had reveals for Semi, Roadster, Y and soon Pickup, what are the crowd’s thoughts on what Tesla’s next product reveal will be and when?

There’s the hypothetical $25k city car and VTOL electric jet but neither of these feels like it could realistically be launched in the next 12-18 months.

Are we about to enter a lean period for reveals with all focus on executing the announced lineup, or does Uncle Elon have something else to show us next year?
You forgot the electric bike and leaf blower, and A/C probably.

well it’s interesting that the foreign Giga factories running or planned will be producing vehicles with the 2170 cell, Model 3 and Y. This new battery tech will most likely be made at GF1 in the states and going into high margin production vehicles such as Model S/X, Semi and Cybertruck. The only product to Osborned will be the S/X and Elon already let the cat out of the bag with Plaid being available next year. Whether that means available for production or for order remains to be seen.

I think it will be awhile before this tech drifts down to 3 and Y.
Not sure about awhile. If this is about scaling cheaply, then S/X is not much volume. Maybe Guinea pigs though.

Reactions: FreqFlyer
NG Peakers are like the car dealers association. Pay lots to politicians to get favourable legislation.
Yeah, but eventually economics will win. NG was useful in helping eradicate coal (in the US anyway), but now it needs to go. An integrated, modular solar/Megapack that can be trucked in, set down on a prepared pad, hooked into the grid in weeks with zero marginal costs will shut down the NG plants fast.

It won't be the $25k Tesla. That would indeed cut demand for the 3 as many buyers are buying it because it is the cheapest road trip ready electric car. The $25k Tesla will come, but not until the product line is fleshed out.

The next things Tesla could do have been pointed out by others but my list in order:
SUV version of Cybertruck
Next big update to S/X (but won't call it a refresh :)
A work van based on Cybertruck guts
In this presentation of the truck they may announce where the Semi and Roadster are being made.
Great post. Love to see platform expansion. My wishlist
Cyberteuck, Cyber-SUV, Cyber-Jeep & Sprinter on Cyber platform.
Model 3/Y work van for Europe and Asia.
Test production of the Semi and Roadster would be amazing.

I’ll be happy with a great truck. Any one more thing would be amazing.

@Prunesquallor Yep, they do need to close up and they are just pure $ plays, small, employ few people, and are causing mass destruction across the country due to new pipelines. Just think, localized, storable renewable energy would not only help the planet in emissions reductions but would allow us to dramatically reduce our need for eminent domain and pipelines.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Bloomberg is reporting that Jim Chanos has covered, suffering a $175 million loss!

Tesla Tested on Twitter

EDIT: Author of the tweet is claiming Bloomberg has removed the article. Be skeptical for now...

Indeed, if removed by Bloomberg, it may not be true. Let's wait to see if there is any follow up.

Yeah, but eventually economics will win. NG was useful in helping eradicate coal (in the US anyway), but now it needs to go. An integrated, modular solar/Megapack that can be trucked in, set down on a prepared pad, hooked into the grid in weeks with zero marginal costs will shut down the NG plants fast.

NG peakers aren't the enemy. NG baseload is. NG is fine as a peaker; there's no need to let perfect be the enemy of good. Peakers run ~5% of the time. They're not an issue.

Battery packs like Hornsdale are great for buying time time for slower-responding fossil plants to ramp up without requiring expensive spinning standby and the like. They don't however substitute for peaking with respect to making up for prolongued periods where there's little wind or sunshine. A couple hours, sure. A couple days, no. We're not even remotely close to the latter being economical yet.

Correct. There are very few new NG going in because they are more expensive and take a long time to get into production due to the various approvals needed. Nevertheless, it will be hard to shut down existing ones due to politics.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
NG peakers aren't the enemy. NG baseload is. NG is fine as a peaker; there's no need to let perfect be the enemy of good. Peakers run ~5% of the time. They're not an issue.
Sort of. The issue is that each Peaker operator pays politicians making transition harder. In the long run the economics is against them, but the more individual operators (peaker or base line), the less the politicians are likely to alter the laws.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Bloomberg is reporting that Jim Chanos has covered, suffering a $175 million loss!

Tesla Tested on Twitter

EDIT: Author of the tweet is claiming Bloomberg has removed the article. Be skeptical for now...

I have to imagine this is possibly big information if true. Capitulation by such a prominent short at these levels could open a path above ATHs, could it not? I'm thinking of the effect Andrew Left's public reversal had on the stock price, which came when the stock was trading much lower.