Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic, but no. You are confusing being confused yourself and causing confusion in others. Journalists, and this one especially, are simply confused themselves -- often because of a cognitive bias. They aren't gas lighting -- they are just confused.

Gas lighting is intentionally (not mistakenly) creating a specific type of confusion in others - - the specific confusion is a type generated by changing reality and thus the perceptions of others, and when the other person notices the changed reality, you deny that the reality has changed and then they doubt their own perception. For example, you turn down the gas lights and then when the other person wonders if the lights are different and why they can't see as well, you deny any change and then the person doubts their own perception and doubts themselves.

It's the changing of reality and then denying the changed reality that is true "gas lighting" . Simply being confused yourself isn't gas lighting -- even when you communicate your confusion to others causing them to also be confused.

that is true "gas lighting" .. but just like "begs the question" and other phrases it has come to be misused so that pedants like me get a cortisol response when we see it being misused.

I didn't read the Wikipedia page but if it doesn't say what I said then it is wrong.
Neither you nor I know what Boudette intended, but I do not take that as an essential aspect of gaslighting (in part because intentions are often hard to discern). The word gaslighting is used more broadly than as you have limited it. You can cling to whatever semantics you wish. I have only tried to explain my use of the term. It's bad form on your part not to read the link I sent. The point was to have a better informed discussion.

After some prodding, Boudette has deleted his post.

No, I just don't get sports ;)

The closest thing I get to understanding "sports people" is watching rocket launches. :)

Sports is just a way to keep the poeple distracted as politicians and their donors loot the country. The average person spends a lot more time watching/talking about sports that don't in anyway affect their life compared to public policy that profoundly affects their life.

We are aiming to make UK roads impossible for EU drivers post Brexit:
now-87bc897c-4eb4-4d2c-938d-38485e299587-1210-680.jpg

Note how the inner roundabout goes the correct way for the rest of the world...
Now that is, truly, one Mad Hatter of a roundabout.
Interesting squiggly lane dividing lines, too.

Sports is just a way to keep the poeple distracted as politicians and their donors loot the country. The average person spends a lot more time watching/talking about sports that don't in anyway affect their life compared to public policy that profoundly affects their life.

I used to think that but it is not that simple. Obsessing about sports goes back to the ancient Greeks and no doubt before that as well. Maybe it is a creation to distract people, but it wasn’t created by the criminals that routinely run countries, although they use it to their advantage whenever possible. More likely it is a creation of human society itself to promote cohesion and distract us all from our ultimate ends so as to further the species.

I used to think that but it is not that simple. Obsessing about sports goes back to the ancient Greeks and no doubt before that as well. Maybe it is a creation to distract people, but it wasn’t created by the criminals that routinely run countries, although they use it to their advantage whenever possible. More likely it is a creation of human society itself to promote cohesion and distract us all from our ultimate ends so as to further the species.
Ofcourse, its the modern version of tribal warfare.

But, sports, war and religion - that all have some basis in ancient needs of common people have also been routinely used by the elites to distract people.

Ofcourse, its the modern version of tribal warfare.

But, sports, war and religion - that all have some basis in ancient needs of common people have also been routinely used by the elites to distract people.

I think sports is not overly complicated:
  • sports is an incredibly popular form of (mostly harmless) entertainment,
  • the most popular forms of sport have immense commercial funding (the NFL alone has a bigger combined annual budget than NASA ...),
  • as absolutely every kind of entertainment sports is a (welcome!) distraction - that's the whole point of entertainment,
  • it's (naturally) used by politicians to gain popularity and as distraction, (home team is going to win ~50% of a time so it's a surefire, low cost way for a politician to associate with success),
  • and as almost everything human it's both social and tribal, inviting both friendship and sometimes violence.
We homo sapiens are pack animals, and sports is an expression of all that.

Assuming Q1 ER announces sufficient profit for almost certain S&P inclusion on lets say 2nd May, when will the institutions start buying for their S&P500 ETFs?
Will they buy ahead of an S&P announcement - worried about a squeeze? If they don't, how long do they have before they fail regulation requirements? Presumably they actually have to own the shares. Can they loan the shares back to shorts?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
No, I just don't get sports ;)

51150436_1181200388708556_1889471622360858624_n.jpg

The closest thing I get to understanding "sports people" is watching rocket launches. :)

A quick cheat sheet for TMC members not getting sports:
  • The day when your team is playing the Superbowl: the day of the Q3 earnings report. You are trying to get real work done before the game, but who are we kidding?
  • Your favorite wide receiver getting brutally faulted via a low helmet hit, and he pushes the linebacker after regaining consciousness, yet it is him who gets ejected: Elon's SEC fine.
  • Your home team playing against the team who got caught cheating last season: @KarenRei debating Anton W, and you'll be re-watching the recorded game as well.
  • Discussing sports referees with relatives: "the SEC is rigged!" consensus.
  • Thinking about your home team playing against last year's Superbowl winner: thinking about the chances of "tiny" Q1 profits.
  • Your home team's (in)famously outspoken quarterback giving a press conference: Elon hosting meme review. It might end up being incredibly funny, or it might get him suspended for 5 games! :D

Last edited:
A quick cheat sheet for TMC members not getting sports

Funny, but there is a lot of truth to your post. Regardless of the game, we need to have a team so we can feel joy when they win. It’s ingrained in our caveman brains. Following sports is a convenient way to fill that need, but TSLA is more interesting. And lucrative.