Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
At @SpaceX Texas with engineering team getting ready to fire new Raptor rocket engine

DydqSfkVsAAr65K.jpg

At @SpaceX Texas with engineering team getting ready to fire new Raptor rocket engine

DydqSfkVsAAr65K.jpg

I love this ITAR-safe photo where the injectors are under-exposed to such a degree that they are completely invisible. ;)

(Challenge for those who think this is conspiracy talk: of the many photos of SpaceX rockets and the Merlin engines, link to just one photo that is up the business end of the nozzle showing the shape, grouping and placement of the pintle injectors. I believe you are not going to find any such picture.)

Last edited:
New Bloomberg hit piece. I was surprised to not see Dana Hull in the byline:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Tesla Model 3 Owners Vent About Polar Vortex Affecting Cars
... until I got to the very end:

— With assistance by Dana Hull

Ronak Patel, a CPA auditor in New Jersey, bought a Model 3 last August. He’s driven about 150 miles in the cold over the last few days. “My biggest concern is the cold weather drained my battery 20 to 25 miles overnight and an extra five to ten miles on my drive to work,” he said. “I paid $60,000 to not drain my battery so quickly.”

This guy... :rolleyes:

Edit: seems Karen had the same observation :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Should I support Patriots or Rams? The Rams owner owns my soccer team (Arsenal). We don't like him (Stan Kroenke) much for lack of investment but I understand he is loved in LA (but not St Louis).
Go Dolphins! Surely Marino can come out of retirement - Tom Brady keeps on going!

'Merican football, rugby wannabes who were too scared or delicate, plus need a break every 30 seconds to get their breath back.

Why is it so difficult to calculate percentage increase when the increase is large? (I don’t mean to pick on you in particular, it seems that almost everybody does this wrong.)

Slightly more on topic: I think that charging both by kWh and by time makes the most sense: If charging costs, for example, 10c/min+10c/kWh then it discourages people from charging to 100%. (And you don’t even have to charge a penalty for not moving the car after the charging is done: just continue charging 10c/min.) Too complicated?

I can't speak for the others, but I'm really quite dim.

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog and capster
I have been pondering this question for a few weeks now: why aren’t we hearing anything from Congress (Californian or Nevadan lawmakers) about changing the EV tax rebate? I find it truly mindboggling.

With Tesla and GM having reached the threshold of 200,000 cars, and Tesla buyers already getting only half the rebate, the program has now turned into a government paid stimulation program for mostly foreign carmakers.

Whereas the Chinese rebate program is limited to Chinese built cars, the US program is now actually doing the opposite: it is trying to get car buyers to choose a European built Jaguar or Audi or a Korean built Hyundai or KIA over an American built Tesla or Chevy!

Make Europe Great Again? Make Korea Great Again? You can’t make stuff like this up.

DydqSfkVsAAr65K.jpg

Love fact checkings observation.... I love reading this thread. Which is why I also loved this....
Made it! 4 days to catch up this freakin' thread!! I read every post, every single one (especially the good bitchy ones with Karen and Tenable, they're the best!)

I have taken a double take at @Tenable ‘s avatar as well, but figured humor as his posts are usually “longish” .

Audi’s are also expensive to fix, the same simple fixe on a regular car can turn into a nightmare for Audi owners.

Yes, especially their A8 which like the Model S is made of aluminium.

Once I had to have the whole side incl. the doors (and a wheel assembly) fixed, that cost 22k € (and took almost a month).

One of several reasons that I will drive my Model 3 more carefully is the stories I hear regarding time to get spare parts.

Neither you nor I know what Boudette intended, but I do not take that as an essential aspect of gaslighting (in part because intentions are often hard to discern). The word gaslighting is used more broadly than as you have limited it. You can cling to whatever semantics you wish. I have only tried to explain my use of the term. It's bad form on your part not to read the link I sent. The point was to have a better informed discussion.

After some prodding, Boudette has deleted his post.

That guy reads like a complete tool.

I think I was one (of many) who contributed to making him delete that confused post,
Lars Kr. Lundin on Twitter

Audi’s are also expensive to fix, the same simple fixe on a regular car can turn into a nightmare for Audi owners.
True, at least n accident repair, according to my body shop friend who does Audi more than any other brand except Tesla. He does high end cars mostly. Audi, he claims, has high complexity and a prponsity to need chassis alignment after small accidents. Personally I never had any problems with the one A4 I owned.

Reactions: lklundin
'Merican football, rugby wannabes who were too scared or delicate, plus need a break every 30 seconds to get their breath back.
My ratings for sports:
Baseball 0/10
Basketball 4/10 (Loved MJ)
American Football 5/10
Rugby 5/10 (too much like Rugby League these days)
Superbowl 7/10
Soccer 9/10 - the beautiful game
Baiting US with how poor their sports are 10/10

Over generations, the British Isles have genetically selected for individuals who like to feel miserable.

Hence all the excitement about crashing out of the EU...
That's the problem with having an empire. All the fun people decided to go somewhere warm then became independent so the miserable ones couldn't follow.

Those articles that show up in outlets where I have seen only hit pieces before make we think that something is about to change.

The reporting after the ER has been indeed partly negative as we have seen it before but the sheer amount of also more moderate or positive articles like this one more based on fundamentals and fact could help to change the narrative and investors reevaluate their strategy with regards to Tesla and starting to open positions.

Actually I expect this happened the last two days already and may continue. The stock movement we have seen since ER are encouraging. Still I have been surprised in the past too and we never know.

Technicals tell us that $300 and $280 are now the new bottom and we have a lot of headspace to swing up again.

This is all speculation obviously and I do not know.

5 reasons not to bet against Tesla (for now)

They love the car. They love the company mission. They have the highest percentage of repeat customers.

Doesn't mean customer service is a bowl of cherries.

Almost every video on youtube with horrible customer service qualifies it by saying the love the car.

Nobody does say that the companies services are great and great for all. But the majority would buy again without hesitation and that is what counts.

Most auto companies have issues with service. If you look at the CR result chart you will agree that most have more severe issues with services than Tesla.

As @KarenRei pointed out correctly before and I tried to make the same, the negative service experiences definitely did happen and are not good but the data from CR is a definite proof that they are not a broad experience for the majority of owners and for all of those the overall experience with the company/car/service is that good that they would buy it again.

The issue with our all social media consumption is that it does create and impression of representation that is just false in particular if you have a good reason for the people with negative reasons to speak out loud and a good reason for the obvious majority of people with a good experience to not speak at all.

Shorts and Bears did argue about the bad service before but we see now that it does not have a negative effect on people to decide buying a Tesla again. Thats an important information for us investors and does confirm that Bears have been wrong again.

Reactions: printf42
I love this ITAR-safe photo where the injectors are under-exposed to such a degree that they are completely invisible. ;)

(Challenge for those who think this is conspiracy talk: of the many photos of SpaceX rockets and the Merlin engines, link to just one photo that is up the business end of the nozzle showing the shape, grouping and placement of the pintle injectors. I believe you are not going to find any such picture.)

I call non-conspiracy/ factual error.

Shape: circular
Placement: center
Grouping: one

Unless SpaceX went way off board, there is only one face shut off pintle injector. You may be thinking of the typical showerhead approach of an engine with a main shutoff valve upstream.

Informative article:
Pintle Injector Rocket Engines|National Space Society

TRW face shut off pintle design that Merlin was based in part on:
http://smartdata.usbid.com/datasheets/usbid/2001/2001-q1/pintleenginepaperaiaafinal.pdf
Excerpts:
SmartSelect_20190203-060145_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

SmartSelect_20190203-060512_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edit: rocket tech is covered under ITAR, so nozzle shots might be restricted due to that, but also well known and not conspiracy...

Edit 2: the injector is in the combustion chamber beyond the bell throat. Unless you are specifically taking a shot of the injector (adjust lighting, right on centerline), you likely wouldn't see it.

Last edited: