Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find myself with cognitive dissonance around the truck. I believe all the following will be true.
  • It will be awesome
  • It will be more practical than a regular truck
  • It will be too weird for many truck owners
  • It will be almost universally derided after its release because of how different it looks
Who knows how things will turn out but I hope Tesla follow through with building it.

Well it sounds like they only started putting the prototype together about 3 weeks ago... So it has mostly been on paper/clay...

this blew me away. 8 weeks ago, this thing was clay. 3 weeks ago, there was no driveable prototype. i'm not sure how i feel about that.

i mean i guess it's now no surprise images never leaked, since the dang thing didn't freakin exist.

I don't have a car at all right now. Don't need one. But I'm thinking of getting one for camping. And I don't even need any of those extras. The bed is large enough to sleep two comfortably. Between saved gas and less hotel rooms this thing could pay for itself.

But how do you get to the stereo and A/C, no sliding rear glass... yet anyway.
100% app solution for sure.

I've not yet seen an answer to your questions; apologies if I missed.

No. That was the appropriate suspension action. By raising the front while lowering the rear, the Cybertruck allows easier on/offloading of a rolling item like an ATV. A great job by Tesla's suspension engineering team!

MT article says the whole thing lowers, a lot, I was speculating that we should have seen that demoed on the slide and few words mentioning it. Elon seemed to have paused as if he was waiting for it.

Never the less the MT article expanded on the capability which just adds to the wow factor for me.

Fire Away!

So many posts... I can't get to the top!!!

I don't think Elon said "no paint." But like a lot of folks here I am assuming no paint. The coloured wrap industry must be breaking out the champagne right now.

There will be police applications for this vehicle. Imagine it in a police wrap.

There will definitely be military applications for this vehicle. Basically it's the new Jeep. Imagine it in camouflage.

Speaking of which can this be ordered with no doors, or have the doors removed Jeep-style?

As usual Tesla enters a new segment in a way that eliminates buyers of the most expensive ICE encumbents - to hurt those encumbent manufacturers where it hurts. Which is why sales of Mercedes S Class, Audi A8 and BMW 7 Series are shadows of their former selves. In this case, the Ford Raptor is under attack, the Dodge Ram Rebel, and all the white-collar folks who drive F-250's for personal use will be taking a closer look at the Cybertruck. Because... they want to get noticed and they don't want to be beaten by anything else on the road.

The Cybertruck speaks to the crowd who bought the Lamborghini LM002 back in the day... or the Hummer. They wanted the capability and didn't mind the excessive TCO for status. Cybertruck brings this experience without the pollution or the TCO.

The $100 refundable reservation is a revolution. The base truck costs about as much as the base Model 3!!! This thing is cheap!!! Looks like they have simplified the design as much as possible to make manufacturing FAST.

Truck dealers & manufacturers around the USA may be breathing a sigh of relief, but as prototypes show up to do more demos, they will realise their offerings are being outclassed. And they might start to feel a slow-down in sales... as truck owners have placed a $100 reservation and are naturally putting off new purchases and/or visits to the dealer lots. (which is what happened with BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Infiniti & Lexus dealers after the Model 3 was revealed)

One of the brands in the most trouble has to be Land-Rover at this point. Their brand is known for having tons of maintenance, and their capability is being outclassed.

Twitter comedians react (note: there's tons of "OMG want one" stuff out there too ;) ).

upload_2019-11-22_6-1-32.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-2-18.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-3-12.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-3-32.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-3-59.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-4-12.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-4-27.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-4-48.png

upload_2019-11-22_6-5-13.png

Wanted to hear more about the design as well, and they had an image of the F-117 on the screen briefly....
My first thought on seeing it was if it had stealth properties. Cover it with matte black and this thing would be awesome. This looks like nothing will stop it. This is a Hummer but no emissions. I also put down a deposit. I have 3 years to convince my wife that we need this in addition to my X. ;-)

Small anecdote but I'm seeing people on my FB that are in the tech industry(which I am in) who I've never seen mention Tesla or any cars for that matter and are raving about how Bladerunner is coming to real life and are actually putting in orders. These are people that idk, to say nicely....I do not see driving a big pickup truck around town

jumping into a 20ft long vehicle from nothing is a problem

Any smart investor is buying the stock tomorrow not because of the truck but because what those prices mean for future cost of batteries for Tesla. It's a good glimpse into what is going to be possible

Yea, I'm not quite able to digest this double stack battery with 3 motors for $70k. Double stack? Surely that is two 100 kWh battery packs right? So, 200 kWh at $200 is $40k. And 3 motors? And throw in a vehicle around all that? They must seriously think they are going to be building cheap batteries in 2021.

This sure bodes well for the price of the S and X. I can see the sales of the X tripling if they can sell it for $65k. And why not, it will only have $10k worth of batteries in it, so it seems. Heck, throw that 120 kWh pack in it, get the range to 400, and sell it for $70k. I'd buy 2 right now!

Elon did do a bit of a bait and switch in his presentation. He started off talking about how pickup trucks are the number 1,2 and 3 selling vehicle, showing 1.5M trucks sold this year ... and then shows a truck they expect to sell 50,000 copies a year at most. This isn’t going to change much of anything.

I think Boomer19 is right they can't do a mass market truck now, within the budget, this design offers great specs for the price.

The main current option to improve the look of the truck is a wrap of the customer's choice....

I think they can add some trim pieces here and there, and accessories down the track to improve the look...

This version is shipping late 2021.....

Mass market with a new factory and a paint shop, is a large investment and might only ship 2023.

GM, Ford, Rivian and others are all making Pickups... they will find it very hard to match the specs of this truck for the price...

Customers have a choice; looks, or value for money...

What happened to the hydraulic tailgate do you could easily load heavy objects?

Didn't you watch the presentation?

It's an integrated, pull-out ramp and active suspension to lower the back and minimize the length of ramp needed. With a shorter ramp comes less required strength and weight.

Brilliant, I say.