Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too. Dreamcase will probably make a nice bed for the Cybertruck.
Plugs to keep a refrigerator on for days.
Towing capability to tow any size of caravan.

I’m talking myself into ordering one, but first I need to hear what my wife thinks.

Also of note: this is the first off-road vehicle that Tesla is offering. That combined with the low price will already find a lot of buyers.
It’s $100 order, so it was pretty easy for my wife to thumb print Apple Pay right away without too much “remorse.” I’m loving her enthusiasm, never would have thought. Haven’t shown the kids yet, but they are going to freak-geek out in the morning.

This thing might Osbourne a lot of Model X sales. If I was gonna buy right now, I'd wait for it.
And Model Y sales, based on functionality and price.
And WHAT is the rear seat headroom? With that roof rake, it looks limiting. Not a problem for the jr. high soccer team, but a work crew? That's important to learn. Rear legroom looks a bit cramped - but will reserve judgment until know for sure.
Not really a work crew kinda truck. Motortrend says the tonneau rolls up, but I thought Fritz slid it into the passenger compartment. I must be wrong as that would make the rear seats almost unusable.
Love the exoskeleton
Yes, so much cooler and tougher sounding than unibody.
love that stainless steel for its shrugging off arctic tundra willows and Sonoran desert mesquite...and the odd sledgehammer.
Just watch out for those steel ball bushes...

That's a bit cultish, don't you think? "If you don't absolutely love everything Tesla does, you're not worthyyyy!!!"

There's definitely a market for this truck. But it will be polarising. No need to hide from it.
We have lots of resistance to EV. Also polarizing. I think its cool. Like soneone said, breaks the mold.
You want to be conventional, wait 10 years until this truck takes over, then buy it.

Like many I'm torn about the design. It wasn't a great first impression but it looks a heck of a lot better on the website. It's growing on me in a few short hours. Not to the point that I love it, but to the point I really look forward to seeing one in person.

My wife DID end up watching with me, and said, "You're not getting one, and please apologize." So I guess we won't be getting one. But the bigger story, as many expected, is the price point, and what it says about where Tesla is headed with their batteries in a short two years. Truly a blockbuster price.

I don't think the market will react as poorly as people expect. It might be a bit schizophrenic as folks figure out how to process all this, but when you step back, it's really not about the truck, and neither is the SP.

Like many I'm torn about the design. It wasn't a great first impression but it looks a heck of a lot better on the website. It's growing on me in a few short hours. Not to the point that I love it, but to the point I really look forward to seeing one in person.

My wife DID end up watching with me, and said, "You're not getting one, and please apologize." So I guess we won't be getting one. But the bigger story, as many expected, is the price point, and what it says about where Tesla is headed with their batteries in a short two years. Truly a blockbuster price.

I don't think the market will react as poorly as people expect. It might be a bit schizophrenic as folks figure out how to process all this, but when you step back, it's really not about the truck, and neither is the SP.

Any smart investor is buying the stock tomorrow not because of the truck but because what those prices mean for future cost of batteries for Tesla. It's a good glimpse into what is going to be possible

Among a thousand Americans who post here, there is such a divergence of opinion - but you are sure your wife represents a billion people ? ;)

Fair, but I alsolived there for many years. I wasn't sure how I felt when I saw it. Frankly teslas are great to me because of the functionality. But after thinking about it for awhile I felt like this would be very well received in China. And my, a designer herself, made me feel more confident if that.

Also, why didn't you say that to all the other people who said they thought it was good because their wives wanted it over the y or the x?

6 months ago the consensus was that Pickup would be a Model S/X equivalent $90k+ car.
Elon adjusted expectations that he was aiming for below $50k but few people believed him.
Tesla just announced it will start at $40k, with better specs than Model Y for lower base price.

How is some people's main takeaway here that they broke some glass?

The unusual looks are because of first principles engineering led decisions to dramatically reduce production cost while increasing functionality. Even ignoring these constraints, I think Franz did a great job, it looks amazing and it will grow on people!

To further elaborate.

This is a complete rethink of how cars are made with the goal of making significant improvements to 1) Production cost, 2) Safety and 3) Functionality.

Here Elon is making the bet that on average these three things will trump some people's desire for a generic looking vehicle.

Elon and Franz did not just randomly and arbitrarily decide to make a CyberPunk vehicle. The engineering optimisation led to many constraints which made a normal looking Pickup impossible. A normal Pickup cannot be built on this platform but a CyberTruck could. And I for one am glad about that. Generic is overrated.

I've never loved and hated something so much. Elon Musk just opened up Pandora's Box of FUD lmao. But it is honestly cool and useful

My feelings exactly. I both want and hate these things. And I say this as someone who really, really wanted an Aptera back in the day.

After all this time joking about Bollinger, this is what Tesla makes?

I can't look at those angles without picturing the airflow streamlines swirling across them. And those flat panels... to me just look so amateur, like someone pieced it together in a garage (e.g. like Bollinger). I mean, not even some airflow-aligned style lines or something?

But they also got a lot right. That rear taper angle is perfect, and converges to a very small wake. They really made an impression with their sledgehammer tests, even though their glass tests were a PR disaster (most people probably forgot how it aced the ball-drop test). Pricing is bloody awesome, and all the stats are very solid.

Both love and hate the thing. Both want and dislike it. ;)