Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure - the Model 3 Performance is already beating everything in its category - and I think they'd want to keep some price separation between the Model 3 and the Model S.

Plus they'd want to maintain the 'Ludicrous' brand for their $132k+ models. :D

Ludicrous would have it competing with M5. If you compare them side by side they are incredibly similar. MY only has an advantage in trunk space and 0-60. Frunk helps a little, but not enough to make up the difference. Would be interesting to see how a track mode of ludicrous could work. Put it in track mode and ludicrous and the launch would be mostly off the start but you could hit one of the track balls for a quick boost in the straights.

• Informative
Reactions: GaryW
Sore Miami Dolphins supporter as well huh..

My train of thought because of this post: Miami Dolphins...Ace Ventura...Finkel is Einhorn...Einhorn is a short seller...Spiegel is a short seller...

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 4.01.28 PM.png

Agreed. A simple fix.

I guess that's one tradeoff of Teslas streamlined manufacturing & sales plans. You get better capital efficiency but lose some easy features. If they have to pull some demand levers at some point in the future some of these simple options may help.
OK, just one final kick at that particular dead horse (tow bar) before I turn in for tonight (still 100+ posts behind):
Not only is it a HIGHLY capital efficient addition to the type approval form, cost approaching zero, ditto effect on factory flow -- it will also instantly and probably dramatically increase total addressable market; certainly in Europe.
Anecdata, N=1: I will most likely let my almost 3-year reservation (pre-unveil) lapse if my Model3 can not legally be equipped with a tow bar.
Come on Tesla, it's just one box more to tick. You can do it. But only if you hurry, it cannot be done OTA. Oops, already missed that opportunity, didn't you? :oops:

Also not legal in Europe. 1) Not standard equipment, and 2) No lights connector

I have an old pickup with a nonstandard tow attachment, and whenever I bring it in for annual inspections I have to remove the tow ball, then reattach it afterwards ;) And I had to add a lights connector to the car's wiring, too.

Might end up doing something like that with my Model 3, mind you. It'll just be a pain. And the car won't know about the hitch, so the computer won't be able to make adjustments for the fact that it's towing something. But it'd work.

Also, doesn't EcoHitch leave a hole in your underpanel when there's no hitch there? Aka hurting your aero regardless of whether the hitch is attached or not?
Duck tape! Pity they scrapped the Silver paint ... ;)

Reactions: KarenRei
If Tesla grows at the rate we all hope it will the need for more SC will continue for a long time.

When I bought my first "green" car it was a Chevy Volt and it was one of the few car's of the green kind to be able to take my anywhere I wanted to go.

Without the SC network I would not have considered my Tesla.

They need to build many many more as more car's come on line.
Bigger batteries lower the need for more SCs. When tech improvements allow another 100 miles range for the same or lower vehicle cost, many more trips can be made without charging.

Yes, it would.

The actual issue is that the car has to burn more energy in the winter - pack protection if it gets too cold while sitting around outside, more energy when driving because air is denser and rolling resistance is higher (bumpier ground, cooler tires, sometimes snow compation), interior and pack heating (particularly early in a drive), etc. But all of this applies not just to Teslas, not just to EVs, but to all vehicles, period. ICEs get an advantage on interior heating (and there's no pack heating / protection), at least after they've warmed up, but they still have the same aero and rolling losses, and they can have additional powertrain losses.
Assuming you can even get an ICE to start or even turn over in the extreme cold of this past week.

Reactions: gene and KarenRei
They aren't going to sell 20,000 roadsters a year, probably 5k. Ferrari and McLaren only sell a few thousand cars a year.

When part of FCA Ferrari chose to limit production to 7500 units per year.

Now that they have spun off into an independent company they are looking to sell 10k cars per year and see how that affects resale value. In 2017 they sold 8,398 units.

It looks like McLaren is going to sell passenger cars full time now. Historically, there were years were they don't sell cars to the public and just focus on racing. In 2018 passenger car sales rose 44% to 4,806 units.

• Helpful
Reactions: CorneliusXX
My friend is from Chicago, it took 1 hour to defrost the door handles and warm up his gasoline car. When it gets below freezing, nothing is safe. He was so worried he had to drain his coolant and put in anti freeze.
If your antifreeze is old or not properly mixed it can crack the engine block when it's this low. Most ppl don't check their antifreeze quality pre winter which you are supposed to do. It's like a $3 tester at AutoZone.

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
Huh, sounds like his statement about capex/opex for v3 Superchargers wasn’t a misstatement:
Elon Musk on Twitter

My guess is they will install power packs at most Super charger v3.

Firstly it’s needed to sustain the peak charge rate which probably exceeded input power line capability.

Once they have that, they can take advantage of off peak rates, also function as virtual peak power plants to earn profit from utilities.

Then when they installed enough solar panels as originally planned, utilities will wake up and see serious competition, but by then it’s already too late to stop them.

My tinfoil hat theory is, this is the reason why GF1 had cell lines producing storage cells but we didn’t see much more energy sales.

Last edited: